Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Joliet, and work in Minooka...

I’m looking to get my own place, but all studios & 1bdr apartments are $850-950+ ..

It doesn’t have to be Joliet, but I don’t want to go too far from Minooka where I work..

Also I don’t want to go further west/south of Joliet, I’m already a good distance from places I enjoy like Chicago, Oak park, even Naperville ..

Am I just not going to find anything in that price range..

Also a side note it’s crazy Joliet rent is higher then say an oak park/Berwyn which offer way more to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 03:23 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,030,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears8787 View Post
I currently live in Joliet, and work in Minooka...
I’m looking to get my own place, but all studios & 1bdr apartments are $850-950+ ..
It doesn’t have to be Joliet, but I don’t want to go too far from Minooka where I work..
Also I don’t want to go further west/south of Joliet, I’m already a good distance from places I enjoy like Chicago, Oak park, even Naperville ..
Am I just not going to find anything in that price range..
Also a side note it’s crazy Joliet rent is higher then say an oak park/Berwyn which offer way more to do...
That's pretty low, I would think you'd have to get into a pretty lousy neighborhood to find something in that range (but trust the advice of those who know that area better than I).

You may want to look at renting an "illegal" apartment in someone's basement or over a garage. You'll have to give up some privacy and other niceties (having parties, etc.) typically associated with having your own place, but it would allow you to save up some cash to maybe purchase a mobile home or something near where you want to live. Unfortunately, these are hard to find, your best bet may be to place an ad on your company's bulletin board, or simply ask around. I had a friend that did this for years, the rent was much cheaper than a traditional apartment. Another option would be to get a two-bedroom apartment with a roommate, but unless it was someone I knew and had great trust in, I'd be inclined to avoid that scenario myself.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM

61 posts, read 67,819 times
I moved out of Illinois because I couldn't even find a crappy apartment in a bad neighborhood for less than $800/mo. Best of luck to you. Maybe try finding some roommates?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
Apartments in Illinois have a high rent lower limit due to the insane property taxes. At least a several hundred $ of the rent goes to cover the property taxes. Just your friendly Democrats helping provide affordable living for the people.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,794,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Apartments in Illinois have a high rent lower limit due to the insane property taxes. At least a several hundred $ of the rent goes to cover the property taxes. Just your friendly Democrats helping provide affordable living for the people.
Oh come on. Lower housing values make up for it. I know someone who bought a home with $500 a month taxes. But the sale price was so low the mortgage P&I was the same amount. Of course your GOP buddy Rauner got so much done during his one term his mission was accomplished and he was out.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Oh come on. Lower housing values make up for it. I know someone who bought a home with $500 a month taxes. But the sale price was so low the mortgage P&I was the same amount. Of course your GOP buddy Rauner got so much done during his one term his mission was accomplished and he was out.
And JB Sh&tzker is indeed getting stuff done. He's hugely increased the gas and registration fees inflicting pain on everyone who has to commute long distances for work. Way to help the working people!

As for destroying the realestate market to make houses cheaper that is like Maduro bragging that by destroying the Venezuelan economy he's made it cheap to invest there. I don't think grannies and working people appreciate paying 5 figure tax bills and being trapped because houses take years to sell and prices in many cases haven't recovered from the crash of 2009.

It's all completely typical of the left. They take care of themselves and their cronies and inflict ruin and misery on the taxpayers.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,030,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Can't argue with you, but have an additional theory: I believe the Feds (and city/state?) keep rents high through subsidized housing (primarily Section 8, but there are probably others). Think about it, who in their right mind would pay $800 a month to live in a crime-ridden ****hole like Englewood if the rent wasn't being subsidized in some form or another? My guess is that without government subsidies, rents in bad neighborhoods would plummet, and so would the building values of rental real estate. Subsidies are likely propping up the value of apartment buildings in large swaths of the south and west sides. I'd love to see the Trib or someone do some investigative reporting to see exactly who owns all of the apartment buildings in these neighborhoods. Some are obviously owner-occupied, but I'd bet that many are owned by shadow-companies, tied to politically-connected donors or otherwise "connected" individuals, who are in actuality making themselves rich through rent-subsidy programs. I used to work in these neighborhoods (admittedly many years ago), and many of the larger buildings (ten flats or more) typically had signs on them stating something like "Managed by XXXX Properties", who are there to collect rents and manage maintenance and evictions. So, who owns the properties and pays these companies today? REIT's? And who are the underlying investors in these? What would the rent be in all of these buildings if driven wholly through market forces? Surely not what is being charged currently.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 09-13-2019 at 05:28 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 04:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,880,315 times
roommate(s) is your ONLY choice with that budget..

Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,283,896 times
Do it like everyone used to do in the old days... get a roomate. You can rent a Nicer place and split the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs