Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM

20 posts, read 78,863 times

Advertisements

My fiance are looking into moving to Downers Grove this summer. I'm just looking to get some opinions on the town and learn about its "personality."

Also, we're looking for an apartment there. Are there any apartments that ARE NOT big apartment complexes? We really don't feel like paying for a pool, sand volleyball court, and clubhouse we'll never use. We just want a plain but nice apartment. Any suggestions as far as that goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I don't think any the complexes in DG have that many amenities -- mostly an older quieter crowd than in some towns.

Downtown DG is getting an infusion of TIF underwritten condos. Big parking garages too. Any effort to have more people spend more money so that the sales tax revenue is higher. Not very effective...

Train service to Union Station is top notch -- expresses FLY in in the AM and abundance of PM expresses until almost 7 PM.

There are some fine dining resturants, but the reviews are mixed as are the histrory/longevity. A notch down is probably a safer bet, locally owned casual places have much better track record. Options range from pancake house/diner through semi-exotic Chinese and several solid pizza places.

Great old restored/preserved movie house has first run and bargain/kiddie movies -- nice mix but not too many art house choices.

Some live music at bars/pubs/coffee houses. Tend to be smaller. Great YMCA in teh "mid south" section of town, drivable from Main Street.

Employment is somewhat diversr with strong office corridor at north end, some light assembly on the west edge, retail throughout, especially clustered into corridors around Butterfield on north edge, Ogden central, 75th south.

Diverse mix of ages and racial backgrounds, though white is far and away majority. Fiesty/active DNC supporters mixed in with lots of GOP backers. Many churches, most not overly "bible belty", more liberal leaning...

Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 AM

440 posts, read 1,501,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad View Post
My fiance are looking into moving to Downers Grove this summer. I'm just looking to get some opinions on the town and learn about its "personality."

Also, we're looking for an apartment there. Are there any apartments that ARE NOT big apartment complexes? We really don't feel like paying for a pool, sand volleyball court, and clubhouse we'll never use. We just want a plain but nice apartment. Any suggestions as far as that goes?
I am a little surprised that a young person right out of college would even consider Downers Grove. Mind you, I'm not being critical, its just that you are not the typical demographic of that town.

That said, if family atmosphere suits you, it is a very nice suburb that has made significant improvements to its downtown over the last 15-20 years. It always had a nice downtown, and the village has had a lot of success in getting a lot of new restaurants and bars. There is plenty to eat and drink. Beyond that, not much, but Chicago is not all that far away, and Naperville is nearby, too.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM

180 posts, read 408,817 times
i work in DG and it is a much older crowd than the surrounding suburbs. Downtown DG is a positive though.

Not sure what the nightlife is like there now but i remember when i was younger they had nothing to do but sit in a taco bell parking lot at 75th & lemont.

and, unfortunately, i don't know much about the rental situation there either. the houses are older and, although i haven't checked in the last few years, i'd say overpriced.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
I am a little surprised that a young person right out of college would even consider Downers Grove. Mind you, I'm not being critical, its just that you are not the typical demographic of that town.

That said, if family atmosphere suits you, it is a very nice suburb that has made significant improvements to its downtown over the last 15-20 years. It always had a nice downtown, and the village has had a lot of success in getting a lot of new restaurants and bars. There is plenty to eat and drink. Beyond that, not much, but Chicago is not all that far away, and Naperville is nearby, too.
I have a job interview there, for a job I really want. So, if I got it we would most likely be moving there. I'm not that young, I'm 28 and my fiance is 29, so we really don't fit the just-out-of-college mold. I 'm just late in getting my degree. Naperville is too expensive and "yuppie" for us. I know Woodridge is closeby...what's that like? We'd like to say somewhat close to Aurora since that's where the fiance's family is and we don't want to have to drive too far to visit. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM

bumping for more opinions

Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad View Post
I have a job interview there, for a job I really want. So, if I got it we would most likely be moving there. I'm not that young, I'm 28 and my fiance is 29, so we really don't fit the just-out-of-college mold. I 'm just late in getting my degree. Naperville is too expensive and "yuppie" for us
IMO Downers Grove is just as yuppie in many instances as Naperville. Thats why there is Bentley, Porsche, Lexus, BMW, and Ferrari dealers right there. TONS of money in that area, even if the area doesnt look like it.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Default No need to guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
IMO Downers Grove is just as yuppie in many instances as Naperville. Thats why there is Bentley, Porsche, Lexus, BMW, and Ferrari dealers right there. TONS of money in that area, even if the area doesnt look like it.
The data provided by our benevolent hosts shows some big differences:

Naperville, Illinois (IL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Downers Grove, Illinois (IL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Naperville Estimated median household income in 2005: $93,338
Downers Grove Estimated median household income in 2005: $68,100

The Bentley store is there because the guy who owns it got the land cheap and got a nice TIF deal from the town too. He also owns "Luxury Motors" that sells all those beat up high end cars to suckers that come out from all over.

The store that sells new Ferraris is way over in Hinsdale at 294.

In between are the Lexus, BMW and Porsche stores in Westmont.

Continental Auto Sports - Welcome to CAS

McGrath Lexus of Westmont, Chicago Lexus Dealer : Westmont & Chicago New & Used Car Dealer
Please wait... (http://www.westmontporsche.com/home.aspx?bhcp=1 - broken link)
Laurel BMW of Westmont of Westmont Illinois -- Serving Chicago, Hammond, Joliet, Aurora, Naperville, and Elgin Illinois with BMW vehicles, service, parts and accessories.

Bentley Downers Grove

I am very sure that the percentage of Downers Grove residents that have bought their vehicles at any of those stores is a tiny percentage of residents of Hinsdale, Burr Ridge. Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills or Western Springs.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I didnt say they were exactly in DG, but that area has alot of money, including parts of DG. Id say that overall Naperville is more "yuppie", but there are definitely spots of DG that are just as high class, and there are many areas of Naperville that are just as "poor" (for lack of better term) as those found in DG.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 PM

I agree Steve, but I also have to say that DG is more "low key" than Naperville. There are homes scattered throughout DG that are very nice. From the section adjacent to Avery Coonley school, to the historic homes scattered around downtown, to the larger lots nestled between Good Samaritan and Midwestern University and various teardown/infill properties there are certainly a multitude of homes that sell for far more than double the median value, if not triple.

That said, the kind of "brand focus" that some people perceive in Naperville simply is not present to as great a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs