U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Elmhurst vs. Park Ridge
Park Ridge 7 31.82%
Elmhurst 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 05:31 PM

4,408 posts, read 3,039,772 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear everyone's perspective when comparing the two.

I regularly boost Park Ridge, as I find it to be a charming suburb with some cost effective options without sacrificing proximity to the city. You can absolutely say the same about Elmhurst too. According to the census, they are more similar than different in so many ways.

Park Ridge, IL
Population: 37,240
Median home value: $427k
Median household income: $102k
Poverty rate: 4.5%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 59%
Population density: 5,286 psqmi
Homes built before 1950: 56%

Elmhurst, IL
Population: 46,558
Median home value: $419
Median household income: $113k
Poverty rate: 3.5%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 60%
Population density: 4,302 psqmi
Homes built before 1950: 50%

Elmhurst has the advantage when it comes to the core- Larger, more shops, more restaurants. Park Ridge has the advantage of aesthetic in it's core, with a beautiful church and common area, very well kept strip, and the Uptown development. Park Ridge has the advantage of bordering some beautiful neighborhoods of Chicago, while Elmhurst has the advantage of being more centrally located to Chicagoland as a whole. Both offer quick access to the city- I believe Elmhurst is a 32-34 minute train ride, while Park Ridge is a 25-33 minute train ride. Both towns have "Historic" districts. Both have highly ranked school districts, with varying rankings across publications.

Overall, which do you prefer? And why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 08:47 PM

12,933 posts, read 17,845,821 times
Park Ridge. Sure it's in Cook County, as opposed to Elmhurst in DuPage. But property taxes probably lower. Both about equal as far as airplane noise.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 1,741,072 times
We just bought in Elmhurst so I have a built-in bias but I prefer the walkable neighborhoods of Elmhurst over Park Ridge. We found a home near Elmhurst College and there is a certain younger vibe and energy that I just didn’t feel in Park Ridge. Park Ridge is certainly a great town and terrific place to raise a family but a bit too sleepy for me. For work/employment reasons, I also prefer the more centralized location of Elmhurst relative to the metro area.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 1,847,558 times
I think the OP identified it - they're fairly similar. I think the Elmhurst express is 25 minutes to the city.

Park Ridge flows nicely into Edison and Norwood Park. In addition to Metra, it has the Blue Line access on the south end of town. It's almost like an extension of the city, and given that I grew up next to the city, there's some comfort there for me on a personal level. It also blends fairly seamlessly with Niles next door. In general most of the housing stock is pretty good. Even some of the smaller homes tend to be more of the 1950s brick ranches and are well built.

Elmhurst does have some older homes that are quite small and seem ripe for teardown. I like the downtown a little bit more than Park Ridge, but they're both pretty solid. Elmhurst is on a bit more of an "island" than Park Ridge as it's surrounded by I-290/I-294, Oak Brook/Roosevelt Rd to the south, which has a completely different feel, and Rt 83 to the west, which splits off the last few blocks of town, which seems to identify more with Villa Park.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 AM

768 posts, read 999,724 times
Our preference was Elmhurst. I think the downtown is much more vibrant. For us we have to feel a certain kind of juice in the core...

I think it boils down to personal preference here - if you prefer more energy then elmhurst or if you prefer quieter vibe (Just like what MyKindof town said above) then PR. But both are nice towns with great futures IMO.

Last edited by JJski; 02-11-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Our preference was Elmhurst. I think the downtown is much more vibrant.

I think it boils down to personal preference here - if you prefer more energy then elmhurst or if you prefer quieter vibe (Just like what MyKindof town said above) then PR. But both are nice towns with great futures IMO.
Having lived in Hinsdale previously, we always enjoyed spending time in downtown LG. Downtown Elmhurst was the next closest thing we could find to downtown LG in the western suburbs (not including downtown Naperville because that’s in a different category altogether).

Also, since someone mentioned property taxes above, Elmhurst property taxes are definitely lower than Park Ridge despite being located in DuPage County. On average, property taxes are around 20-25% less in Elmhurst than Park Ridge when comparing similarly valued homes. It’s pretty significant when you are shopping homes >$600,000.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 AM

768 posts, read 999,724 times
MyKindofTown,

Elmhurst is awesome and I think has significantly become more attractive in past 5 years. I think they are heading in right direction for sure - still focused on schools, safety, family coupled with the vibrant vibe. Our family would have no issues living very happily there... Congrats on the move!

I also totally agree about Naperville and Evanston - these are Little (Big) Cities and in different category all together...

cheers

Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
MyKindofTown,

Elmhurst is awesome and I think has significantly become more attractive in past 5 years. I think they are heading in right direction for sure - still focused on schools, safety, family coupled with the vibrant vibe. Our family would have no issues living very happily there... Congrats on the move!

I also totally agree about Naperville and Evanston - these are Little (Big) Cities and in different category all together...

cheers
Thank you. We are very excited about the new house. Seems to be many kids around the neighborhood, which is ideal for a young family like us. Cheers!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:52 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Thank you. We are very excited about the new house. Seems to be many kids around the neighborhood, which is ideal for a young family like us. Cheers!
I had a separate post about Lake Bluff, as we are relocating (back) to the Chicagoland area.

We lived in the "inner" North Shore previously and want to change it up. We took a trip to Lake Bluff a few weeks ago, and loved the areas east of Green Bay. Saw some families, had a charming little downtown, and the locals were selling us on how active late spring-early fall gets in town.

But, to your point, we continue to come back to the younger/middle aged family environment. We are pretty between the bell curve- like to walk around town, sports enthusiasts, love music, like to go out to dinner and have a few beers on the weekends, have young children. So, Elmhurst and Park Ridge are both on our short list if we do decide to stay in the near suburbs of Chicago. I would add Wilmette, but I'd want to be as close to the core as possible, and the prices are a bit too high for our liking.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I had a separate post about Lake Bluff, as we are relocating (back) to the Chicagoland area.

We lived in the "inner" North Shore previously and want to change it up. We took a trip to Lake Bluff a few weeks ago, and loved the areas east of Green Bay. Saw some families, had a charming little downtown, and the locals were selling us on how active late spring-early fall gets in town.

But, to your point, we continue to come back to the younger/middle aged family environment. We are pretty between the bell curve- like to walk around town, sports enthusiasts, love music, like to go out to dinner and have a few beers on the weekends, have young children. So, Elmhurst and Park Ridge are both on our short list if we do decide to stay in the near suburbs of Chicago. I would add Wilmette, but I'd want to be as close to the core as possible, and the prices are a bit too high for our liking.
We ended up in the College View neighborhood of Elmhurst. It’s a pretty unique neighborhood by Chicago suburban standards imo. Not only is it walkable to the train and downtown Elmhurst but you also have the college, high school, elementary school, public library, Wilder Park, conservatory and art museum all in the same neighborhood. The only thing we found comparable to this area during our year long home search were the neighborhoods circling downtown Naperville, which is basically College View on steroids. Naperville felt a little too far removed from downtown Chicago while Oak Park felt a bit too close for our liking. Elmhurst was a nice compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs