U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 02:02 PM

100 posts, read 107,801 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
What are your favorite fun facts on the Chicagoland Region? Here are some of mine:

If you lived at Vernon Hills High School, because of zoning boundaries, you would have to go to Stevenson High School.

The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning goes as far as Michigan to conduct services in.

Woodstock North High School’s Pool is one of the only in the region to have salt water.

What are your favorite fun facts that are very interesting? Comment below!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 02:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 3,748,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
Hey all,
What are your favorite fun facts on the Chicagoland Region? Here are some of mine:

If you lived at Vernon Hills High School, because of zoning boundaries, you would have to go to Stevenson High School.
No, you are confused. VH HS is inside the district boundary for D128, but merely adjacent to the D125 boundary (SHS).

See map here:

http://maps.lakecountyil.gov/output/...istrict125.pdf

Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM

4,115 posts, read 2,333,481 times
Marlon Brando worked, as a teen, at the Libertyville theater.

Skokie changed its name from Niles Centre because it had a bad reputation as a boozin town.

Well, I think I have my facts right.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:59 PM

8,534 posts, read 4,751,665 times
The “Home Alone” house is still sitting just as beautifully in Winnetka
Although the interior is completely modern, renovated, and luxurious. Something about that house and neighborhood is so beautiful, especially around Christmas time. Never actually been, but I’ve always wanted to drive through that neighborhood and that house in Winnetka.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:20 PM

4,115 posts, read 2,333,481 times
personone, I never got into that movie. So I'm not familiar. But I do pass the El Rancho Hotel in Gurnee from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles everytime I come into Chicagoland ... And I took a picture of The Married With Children house exterior, in Deerfield.... The Family Matters house, sadly was torn down. But I took a picture of it while it was still up! It's across the street from Wrightwood Park in Chicago.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 PM

12,934 posts, read 17,869,157 times
The Gotham "hospital" in the Dark Knight was actually the old Brach's factory. But the hospital in "Contagion" was real. It was the former Sherman hospital used just after they moved to a new facility. The expressway in "Groundhog Day" where the crash was filmed is the underutilized Amstutz in Waukegan.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:54 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,855,912 times
Willowbrook HS is not in the town of Willowbrook, is not adjacent to the town of Willowbrook and nobody in the town of Willowbrook lives in district.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:04 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,125,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The Gotham "hospital" in the Dark Knight was actually the old Brach's factory. But the hospital in "Contagion" was real. It was the former Sherman hospital used just after they moved to a new facility. The expressway in "Groundhog Day" where the crash was filmed is the underutilized Amstutz in Waukegan.
Downtown Western Springs was the scene for the fire scene in the downtown area in Contagion, and the old Tischlers grocery store (now condos) was the scene of the grocery store pandamonium. This movie could be reality pretty soon with this Corona virus growing.
"
Other local scenes in that area, the family house and church in LaGrange in 'While You were Sleeping', and scenes from 'Backdraft' and 'Dennis the Menace' in Hinsdale. Maple Lake at approx. 95th and LaGrange Road in Willow Springs was the lake in the movie "The Lakehouse" with Keanu Reeves.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:01 PM

213 posts, read 267,104 times
The movie Roll Bounce was partly filmed at the Lynwood Roller Rink in south suburban Lynwood.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:20 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,049,798 times
Most would think the city of Chicago is entirely located in Cook County, but this is false. Thanks to an annexation by Chicago for expansion of O'Hare airport, there is a sliver of the city that is considered to be in DuPage county. This was a former neighborhood of Bensenville, IL, which was entirely demolished to make way for said expansion of O'Hare Airport. This occurred in the late 2000's. Here is a video before the demolition of the neighborhood began

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aZQDSdw7c

You can also see this change of the demolition on Google Maps:

Bensenville 2009:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9577...!7i3328!8i1664

Bensenville 2015:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9577...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs