U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 PM

4,959 posts, read 4,070,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel517 View Post
Get ready to pay between $8 to $10,000 prop tax
Roger that.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 PM

2,298 posts, read 5,883,648 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

[Re: Aurora] Quite happily, I might add. Pre-pandemic, $200 million in private development occuring. Downtown buildings that had been vacant for 60 years are being rehabbed for new housing and commercial space. The development is still going through, hopefully the current situation won't be too much of a setback.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-24-2020 at 01:04 AM..

Old 05-24-2020, 03:27 PM

189 posts, read 182,471 times
Batavia has a nice housing stock for your price range, good schools, and Randall Road has all the shopping you'll want. If you don't have kids, North Aurora is a great option as well. Naperville is a little pricey and I'd recommend against it at your price range. Warrenville/Winfield are worth a look as well. Wheaton is a very nice town but not much in the sub 300k price range, and then you're getting into 30 minute commute times and greater.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
Batavia has a nice housing stock for your price range, good schools, and Randall Road has all the shopping you'll want. If you don't have kids, North Aurora is a great option as well. Naperville is a little pricey and I'd recommend against it at your price range. Warrenville/Winfield are worth a look as well. Wheaton is a very nice town but not much in the sub 300k price range, and then you're getting into 30 minute commute times and greater.
We've looked at Batavia, but it actually doesn't seem to have much of what we're after, at least from what we can see on Zillow/Redfin. The majority of the properties we've got saved are in Sugar Grove, North Aurora, Montgomery and Oswego. Maybe our realtor has some MLS listings we aren't able to see...

Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 AM

26 posts, read 23,547 times
Aurora is a good city, the eastern part of Aurora by Fox Valley Mall and Naperville is very safe, middle-upper class and fairly quiet.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan72 View Post
Aurora is a good city, the eastern part of Aurora by Fox Valley Mall and Naperville is very safe, middle-upper class and fairly quiet.
How is Sugar Grove?

Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,786,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
How is Sugar Grove?
Safe, very spread out, very exurban, amongst farmland. You can probably get a pretty nice house for your price range there. There's definitely a couple main thoroughfares (Rt. 47) that have some chain retail developed over the past several years, but I would recommend driving around Sugar Grove and its outskirts to understand its larger community. Just based on school districts, which does not seem to be your concern but may be if you need to resell at some point, Sugar Grove feeds into Kaneland school district which is in Maple Park, and thus by default gets grouped in with small towns like Maple Park, Kaneville and Elburn. I don't think there's anything wrong with the district, but I am trying to give a perspective of how Sugar Grove fits into the picture of the far west burbs. There's some cool stuff out that way like Kuipers Farm or Acquaviva Winery, and you're still within 20-30 minutes of whatever you want to check out in a place like downtown Geneva or Naperville, but there's just less to do at your immediate disposal in Sugar Grove.

https://www.kaneland.org/doc?doc_url...ool-boundaries

At least among Batavia/Geneva/St. Charles, those are all relatively close to one another, and when comparing to the eastern half of Aurora, it blends in pretty seamlessly with Naperville.

I think Oswego is more developed than Sugar Grove and as you noted with your saved house search, you can likely find something there in your price range.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,103 times
We just went through a search in more or less the same areas you are looking. We moved to the area from Nashville. Our criteria was a little different but more or less 30 minutes (with traffic) from Fermilab which is in Batavia off Kirk Rd, just north of Butterfield (56).

We wound up in Stonebridge which is in extreme eastern Aurora.

I don't know if you have luxury to but if you can think about renting for a few months. You have to move twice but it will give you a chance to understand where you spend your time and what areas you like. I realize not everyone has this option but if you can swing it you'll get a feel for what is important and the areas you like. I'd recommend the Springs Apartments on Orchard Rd and Oak st. Very central location for you and a nice place.

Having just been through a house search I will let you know that good places won't stay on the market long. I was shocked at that. We suspended our search and were going to wait and see what happens thinking the market may go down and everything and mean everything we had saved to look at sold in days. Our criteria was a little different than yours but I suspect what you are looking for will go even quicker. We found what we wanted at a good price so we went forward.

Some things to keep in mind as you look. Aurora is in two different counties - DuPage and Kane. It is mostly in Kane county but the eastern edge is Dupage. Could be more but at least those two. I know it's not important to you now but there are also school districts to consider for resale. There are some schools/districts in Aurora that aren't great - honestly they are terrible ones. I believe all in DuPage are excellent. You might want to check into what train stations are nearby and the train schedules. We also do not have to commute into Chicago but you never know what the future holds and for us we like to go downtown on weekends - pre pandemic :-( The train line to Geneva which is likely closest to Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora and possibly Sugar Grove doesn't have as favorable schedules as the train line that runs through Naperville and Aurora

There are transfer fees too and depending on the locality some have the buyer paying and some have the seller. There is a 1% transfer fee in Naperville that the buyer pays, 1% transfer fee in Aurora that the seller pays so check into that. If you find a good mortgage person they'll be on top of this. If you need someone let me know.

For what you are looking for there are quite a few options around Fermilab, for example;
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8.../4678478_zpid/
That is Batavia

North Aurora is another good option
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51677650_zpid/

Geneva is another potential option. Downtown Geneva is awesome but it's expensive, other parts of town are more reasonable
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...81377338_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../4671329_zpid/

We really liked Sugar Grove. It's a bit out there but we liked that part.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../4685242_zpid/

Taxes...they are high and there isn't a way around it. Make sure you budget for them. Likely to be 2X what you were paying. I have no idea about MI taxes but they will be higher here.

For what you are looking for I'd go in this order:
North Aurora/Batavia/Geneva

Aurora - could be further up the list but it's the most diverse of all these cities meaning there are really nice places and some not so nice places, you will have to search for what you want harder. Aurora is the 2nd largest city in IL (~250,000 people) and with any city of size you have some great things and some challenges. We love the library that is near downtown and as someone mentioned there is a ton of investment going on in Aurora right now.

Sugar Grove

Montgomery/Oswego - We didn't look here at all since it was too far south for me but there may be some good options there

Naperville will have limited options for you. It's a bit to much more expensive depending on where.

St. Charles is a little further north and I'm not sure what options are there since I did not look there

Good luck,

Old 05-26-2020, 02:50 PM

189 posts, read 182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
We've looked at Batavia, but it actually doesn't seem to have much of what we're after, at least from what we can see on Zillow/Redfin. The majority of the properties we've got saved are in Sugar Grove, North Aurora, Montgomery and Oswego. Maybe our realtor has some MLS listings we aren't able to see...
Batavia definitely has a "feel" to it, a lot of the housing stock is aged and the newer homes are very pricey. But, it's the most affordable of the Batavia/Geneva/St. Charles tri-cities area and having lived there I can tell you that it's a very nice area between the downtowns, schools, shopping, river, and more. I don't live in Batavia anymore, but I miss the "area" far more than I miss our house. Unless you have a huge budget, I would say you don't really move to the tri-cities if your house is your biggest concern because you'll likely pay more for less out there.

Sugar Grove is kinda bland to me. You will be able to get a nicer house there, but it has a more rural feel and you'll drive a lot farther for entertainment and amenities. Easy access to I-88 and lots of little small towns in the area but a far different feel than the regular Suburban Chicago area which, in my opinion, ends at Randall Road. It's not a place I would recommend to someone who's not already familiar with the suburbs.

Oswego's biggest issues are it's location and distance from highways, trains, and the traffic you'll fight driving up 34 or Orchard Road to get anywhere. It is fairly self-contained and sandwiched between Yorkville and Aurora you'll have access to just about everything you need.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 AM

Hey, bud, I really appreciate the detailed response. We actually ended up touring a couple of the listings you sent us here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtochicago View Post
I don't know if you have luxury to but if you can think about renting for a few months. You have to move twice but it will give you a chance to understand where you spend your time and what areas you like. I realize not everyone has this option but if you can swing it you'll get a feel for what is important and the areas you like. I'd recommend the Springs Apartments on Orchard Rd and Oak st. Very central location for you and a nice place.
In our case that would have been moving three times (weird set of circumstances that isn't quite worth going into here). We considered this as Plan B, but looks like we were able to avoid it. Time will tell, of course, if a 48-hour marathon house-hunt will work out, but we've got a good feeling about what we eventually settled on.
Quote:
Having just been through a house search I will let you know that good places won't stay on the market long. I was shocked at that. We suspended our search and were going to wait and see what happens thinking the market may go down and everything and mean everything we had saved to look at sold in days. Our criteria was a little different than yours but I suspect what you are looking for will go even quicker. We found what we wanted at a good price so we went forward.
Yeah, you're not wrong. Even in what is supposed to be the start of a down market, good places (in good places, if this makes sense) will be in demand. For example, the very first place we saw, which was the standard against which we initially measured others, was already marked "contingent", even though it wasn't listed for very long.
Quote:
There are transfer fees too and depending on the locality some have the buyer paying and some have the seller. There is a 1% transfer fee in Naperville that the buyer pays, 1% transfer fee in Aurora that the seller pays so check into that. If you find a good mortgage person they'll be on top of this. If you need someone let me know.
Yeah, we're going to need to find out what that looks like in Montgomery, where we eventually made an offer.
Quote:
For what you are looking for there are quite a few options around Fermilab, for example;
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8.../4678478_zpid/
That is Batavia

North Aurora is another good option
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51677650_zpid/
The second one was definitely on our list, but, if memory serves, an offer on it was accepted before we got around to it.
Quote:
Geneva is another potential option. Downtown Geneva is awesome but it's expensive, other parts of town are more reasonable
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...81377338_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../4671329_zpid/
We looked at the first one. Probably the best neighborhood of the ones we saw, but the house itself was a bit above budget for us and, despite good stats, size-wise actually appeared pretty cramped, not to mention had zero backyard. Still, not something I would immediately say no to - we just had a better alternative in mind already (and an accepted offer by then).
Quote:
We really liked Sugar Grove. It's a bit out there but we liked that part.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../4685242_zpid/
I remember having this house on the list. I don't remember why we didn't end up seeing it (the trim and the dark floors may have played a role). But yeah, I liked Sugar Grove, too. Even though I tend to prefer the more urban-suburban settings, I no longer mind being the boring suburban couple with a Stepford Wives' model home, either, so SG would have worked for me.
Quote:
Taxes...they are high and there isn't a way around it. Make sure you budget for them. Likely to be 2X what you were paying. I have no idea about MI taxes but they will be higher here.
You aren't kidding. Ann Arbor taxes aren't low, so, I guess, in a way it's a good thing we're used to them, but almost 9 grand a year is kind of insane. Oh well. It's the price we pay for graduating to a two-income household, I suppose.
Quote:
For what you are looking for I'd go in this order:
North Aurora/Batavia/Geneva
From the overall community standpoint, I think you're right. Were it not for the house in Montgomery (and a backup option in Oswego), we would have probably ended up renting and doing the IL-to-MI on weekends commute for a year, then targeting that specific area anew.
Quote:
Aurora - could be further up the list but it's the most diverse of all these cities meaning there are really nice places and some not so nice places, you will have to search for what you want harder. Aurora is the 2nd largest city in IL (~250,000 people) and with any city of size you have some great things and some challenges. We love the library that is near downtown and as someone mentioned there is a ton of investment going on in Aurora right now.
I hear what you're saying, but from first impressions, Aurora proper wouldn't have been my favorite. I love the idea of up-and-coming places - just not necessarily living there while the process is underway.
Quote:
Sugar Grove
Yep, as mentioned above - not bad.
Quote:
Montgomery/Oswego - We didn't look here at all since it was too far south for me but there may be some good options there
So, incidentally, most of the places we ended up considering were in Montgomery/Oswego (one was located in a community that was called River Run, which we thought symbolic as we're huge GoT fans - it was actually our favorite for a while despite its size and the fact that, as I now realize, it was quite a bit overpriced) and even Yorkville. The place in Yorkville superseded River Run for my wife - I didn't love the size as for me it was far, far too huge (heating/cooling bills, etc). Not that we ended up in a place that is much smaller, but at least it feels like the builder made better use of the space. And it's still only 20 minutes away from IMSA, so despite it being a bit farther away from I-88 and Chicago proper, it still works for us.
Quote:
Naperville will have limited options for you. It's a bit to much more expensive depending on where.
We are staying in Warrenville and I ran to Naperville these past two nights as the hotel gym is closed. I get a feeling that I would really like the city as it gave me the Ann Arbor/Plymouth, MI vibe, but you're right - I saw the prices there and didn't think the likelihood of finding something within both our price range and list of requirements was worth it.
Quote:
St. Charles is a little further north and I'm not sure what options are there since I did not look there
We didn't, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs