U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:05 PM

5,008 posts, read 2,428,006 times

Advertisements

They thought Woodstock had such a picturesque downtown they filmed Groundhog Day there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 PM

8,474 posts, read 4,711,806 times
Yeah there are endless numbers of suburbs that fit the bill. Chicagoland has some of nicest collection of suburbs in the country that have a nice mix of cool downtowns, houses, and nature (especially near the lake). If you’re looking at the NW suburbs specifically, almost all of them will work depending on your exact criteria.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 AM
wjj

903 posts, read 1,171,424 times
What about Antioch? Quaint little downtown and just over the border from many resort type areas in Wisconsin (Wilmont Mountain, Delevan Lake, Geneva Lake) and other nature areas. But still only a 15/20 minute drive from major shopping areas. Or maybe just move to a place like Lake Delevan or Lake Geneva WI and leave Illinois entirely.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 AM

8,474 posts, read 4,711,806 times
I would definitely put Downer's Grove on the list. Such a nice downtown, nice housing, and still pretty accessible to the city if you want to go occasionally.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:28 PM

58 posts, read 31,792 times
I love Galena- just came back last night. I don't mind the tourists as I live in Chicago and being as small as it is, it would make it feel alive. I'm considering all options. In the end, it will be a matter of price and my commute to O'Hare once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Your idea of "suburb" is quite expansive if you've included Galena on your list. Galena does in fact have a charming downtown, perhaps the most charming in all of Illinois. But be prepared to share it with mobs of tourists on any given weekend.

If you're willing to go as far out as Galena and you want to be close to Wisconsin, why not actually look around in southern Wisconsin, like maybe Burlington or Stoughton or Monroe?

Old 08-07-2020, 03:31 PM

I used to own a condo in Hickory Hills so I'm very familiar with LaGrange, it's just too pricey for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
For me, the one that comes to mind is LaGrange. While small, it seems like the city and businesses have tried to promote and improve their (albeit smallish) downtown on LaGrange Road.

Burr Ridge tried to create a "downtown" feel in their new business center on the southeast corner of I-55 and County Line Road, but it has an "artificial" feel to it, likely because it was all built at the same time. Covid has screwed up being out and about in 2020, but in a previous life, I wanted to check out some of the music events they talked about having there.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:33 PM

Antioch is next on my list to explore. Lake Geneva is beautiful- I definitely would enjoy it but prices are an issue and limited inventory of townhomes. I will continue to look into it. I also checked Delevan Lake on Zillow and also not many choices. Those are places I'm considering and will be keeping them on lookout. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
What about Antioch? Quaint little downtown and just over the border from many resort type areas in Wisconsin (Wilmont Mountain, Delevan Lake, Geneva Lake) and other nature areas. But still only a 15/20 minute drive from major shopping areas. Or maybe just move to a place like Lake Delevan or Lake Geneva WI and leave Illinois entirely.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Woodstock also is on my list. Next, I'm going to explore Antioch and Woodstock. They both seem quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
They thought Woodstock had such a picturesque downtown they filmed Groundhog Day there.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 PM
wjj

903 posts, read 1,171,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
Antioch is next on my list to explore. Lake Geneva is beautiful- I definitely would enjoy it but prices are an issue and limited inventory of townhomes. I will continue to look into it. I also checked Delevan Lake on Zillow and also not many choices. Those are places I'm considering and will be keeping them on lookout. Thank you.

In an earlier response you mentioned a weekly commute to O'Hare. Antioch would be a much easier commute to ORD than Galena since it is not far from I94. Or, you also could travel north to MKE on I94 in about the same amount of time to have more flight choices (assuming you are going to ORD to fly and not to work).

Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles
My first thought (especially geneva) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs