U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,792 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a Chicago native (East Rogers park) potential first time home buyer. After attending college in a rural area I have learned that I would like to live some where more modest and open. Homes in the middle of central Illinois and the such are the most appealing to me- open prairie farmland etc— although distance wise is not practical. I am technically working in downtown Chicago but have been working remotely and will be working remotely for foreseeable future (and perhaps always, but I want to leave possibility open for commute). My partner lives in the south side of the city (Hyde park / south shore) so relative proximity to her is important. So basically I am looking for areas that are open, or very nature-heavy (lots of trees, lake, etc), and I understand that comprises will have to be made.

No family being raised so I don’t care about schools. The cheaper the better. Also coming from Rogers park I am uncomfortable in areas that are overwhelming majority white, so more diversity/vibrant culture would be preferable. Ideally I would like a fairly eclectic neighborhood, interpret as you will.

I know that’s a lot of qualifiers, but I’m just interested to see what people recommend. On one end of the spectrum, I’ve looked at Cicero- which obviously doesn’t fit the build of rural at all but seems to provide a decent amount of space (decent yard) in comparison to how close it is to the city. The culture of Cicero also seems much more vibrant and alive than the other suburbs near it when I visited.

Farther away I’ve looked at Markham/Midlothian.

Perhaps the best way to describe my preferences- Rogers park used to living around many cultures/diversity looking for a more open (less dense) neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 01:27 PM

624 posts, read 775,091 times
Homewood/Flossmoor?

Old 08-17-2020, 03:00 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,525,117 times
I can't quite conceptualize what exactly you are looking for. Diverse, vibrant, cheap, proximity to the city center, and bucolic don't go together, at least not in the Chicagoland area.

I'm also increasingly concerned about people getting caught in a COVID-19 mindset. Things will eventually return to normal, and I worry that people (especially younger people) are going to wake up and discover that they aren't actually happy about the neighborhoods and properties they chose because of the COVID mindset.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Your points are valid. In fact, I hadn't quite considered flight away from the city as a result of COVID but that is a strong thing to consider. Perhaps it would be better to look towards properties away from the city when COVID clears up and demand for urban lifestyles might increase.

I think my original post was not well formulated and very vague. Homewood/Flossmore was a good recommendation - in fact in general it seems that the south/ southwest suburbs are probably the closest to what I have been describing.

The real kicker in those neighborhoods seem to the extremely high property taxes. Is that completely universal throughout all those suburbs? It seems like for some properties, taxes would be 1.5x the mortgage. Having never owned a property that seems extremely high, especially if I wasn't too concerned about the quality of the schools in the district.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:28 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,525,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfive_fiftynine View Post
Your points are valid. In fact, I hadn't quite considered flight away from the city as a result of COVID but that is a strong thing to consider. Perhaps it would be better to look towards properties away from the city when COVID clears up and demand for urban lifestyles might increase.

I think my original post was not well formulated and very vague. Homewood/Flossmore was a good recommendation - in fact in general it seems that the south/ southwest suburbs are probably the closest to what I have been describing.

The real kicker in those neighborhoods seem to the extremely high property taxes. Is that completely universal throughout all those suburbs? It seems like for some properties, taxes would be 1.5x the mortgage. Having never owned a property that seems extremely high, especially if I wasn't too concerned about the quality of the schools in the district.
There has been a significant uptick in interest in suburban and rural real estate since COVID-19 and urban civil unrest presented themselves. Many suburbs have also seen increased home sale activity. However, it isn't clear that this is a direct result of current events, and the numbers aren't substantial enough to suggest a secular change.

In general, property tax rates are higher in the suburbs than in Chicago. Northwest Indiana is a significant exception to that. The southern suburbs typically have the highest effective rates, but home prices are also lower there than they are in the suburbs to the north and west. It is not abnormal for property taxes and insurance to compose more of your monthly payment than principle and interest (and perhaps PMI).

Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 6,965,901 times
Do a Google map - draw a "polygon" (circular line) from Monee, IL going west to Minooka, then go north to Romeoville, then go east to Lemont and then go more east to Tinley Park. Check those towns out. Lockport has a historical small town feel.

not sure about the crime stats, but you can google that. I visited Monee around 210th Street area, and it was a sweet small town feel.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:24 PM

2,521 posts, read 1,471,366 times
I would say Lemont/Homer Glen area. Though to my knowledge neither area is particularly diverse or eclectic.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:54 AM

1,199 posts, read 827,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I would say Lemont/Homer Glen area. Though to my knowledge neither area is particularly diverse or eclectic.
Totally agree with this. It's a pocket that's not that far from Chicago that feels very rural. I mean, it's also deprived of character IMHO, but you might like it.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

-Hiruko, that makes sense, and I am sure that many homes are up for sale as a result of job losses as well unfortunately. NW Indiana is a good suggestion that I'll keep lookin around in, I'm pretty scared of high property tax as a young person looking for a first investment (and may want to move later down the road).

-ChicagoMeO, thanks a lot that is excellent advice, I'll be sure to check out all of that area.

-CCrest/Kmanshouse yeah Lemont\Homer Glen do fit that bill I'm make sure to keep them on the map. They seem a bit deprived of character, but also seem like they could be safe investments. I'll have to visit in person.

Thanks a lot for all of these suggestions. I'm really looking for an area with a decent amount of space but aren't manicured lawns (I hate wide stretched of perfectly cut grass, lol), and have a population thats fairly diverse or at least down to earth. These all seem like good suggestions of places to look. Flossmore seems really nice, as well as the surrounding areas like Country Club Hills, Matteson/Richton park, but jeez! I saw a house in Country Club Hills where the estimated property tax was over 3x the monthly mortgage! I'm new to all of this but that doesn't seem like a good investment. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:44 PM

80 posts, read 51,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfive_fiftynine View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

-Hiruko, that makes sense, and I am sure that many homes are up for sale as a result of job losses as well unfortunately. NW Indiana is a good suggestion that I'll keep lookin around in, I'm pretty scared of high property tax as a young person looking for a first investment (and may want to move later down the road).

-ChicagoMeO, thanks a lot that is excellent advice, I'll be sure to check out all of that area.

-CCrest/Kmanshouse yeah Lemont\Homer Glen do fit that bill I'm make sure to keep them on the map. They seem a bit deprived of character, but also seem like they could be safe investments. I'll have to visit in person.

Thanks a lot for all of these suggestions. I'm really looking for an area with a decent amount of space but aren't manicured lawns (I hate wide stretched of perfectly cut grass, lol), and have a population thats fairly diverse or at least down to earth. These all seem like good suggestions of places to look. Flossmore seems really nice, as well as the surrounding areas like Country Club Hills, Matteson/Richton park, but jeez! I saw a house in Country Club Hills where the estimated property tax was over 3x the monthly mortgage! I'm new to all of this but that doesn't seem like a good investment. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.
I second Hiruko's observations. NWI is a good option, but the "rural" areas will be farther away from the city. There are opportunities for land in more populated areas of NWI, but they often come at a price.

I think the recommendations of Homewood/Flossmoor & Matteson, etc. are spot on. I wouldn't necessarily call them rural, however. I'd also recommend Crete & Monee. These areas are more rural, but still conveniently located to the city. The taxes will be quite high, so be prepared for that. When you get pre-approved, your lender should help guide you through that process of monthly costs in regards to mortgage & property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs