Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 04:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times

Advertisements

Arlington Heights is probably the only sane choice. True that Elmhurst has highway access, but that highway will get jammed when things return to Normal. If it snows, several hours, or tale the day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 06:57 AM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Arlington Heights is probably the only sane choice. True that Elmhurst has highway access, but that highway will get jammed when things return to Normal. If it snows, several hours, or tale the day off.
Have you commuted to Schaumburg from Elmhurst? 290, even during rush hour is fine from rt. 53 to St. Charles Road. A snow event would impact a commute regardless if someone lives in Elmhurst or Arlington Heights, not sure about that argument.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Have you commuted to Schaumburg from Elmhurst? 290, even during rush hour is fine from rt. 53 to St. Charles Road. A snow event would impact a commute regardless if someone lives in Elmhurst or Arlington Heights, not sure about that argument.
I certainly don't think it will be as bad as some folks on here would lead you to believe, but OP said commute is "very important".

Still don't know OPs budget, but if the commute from Elmhurst in rush hour is doable, I think Elmhurst is probably now seen as the most desirable of the three. Easiest access to the city, highest in demand. Luxury market in Elmhurst is probably the strongest, too.

On the flip side, if a commute into the city isn't necessary, you don't really lose out on any front by living in Arlington Heights.. Walkability, downtown, schools, neighborly feel are all there much like Elmhurst. And at, say, a $600k - $1M budget, you'll get more house or more updates in AH.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 5,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I certainly don't think it will be as bad as some folks on here would lead you to believe, but OP said commute is "very important".

Still don't know OPs budget, but if the commute from Elmhurst in rush hour is doable, I think Elmhurst is probably now seen as the most desirable of the three. Easiest access to the city, highest in demand. Luxury market in Elmhurst is probably the strongest, too.

On the flip side, if a commute into the city isn't necessary, you don't really lose out on any front by living in Arlington Heights.. Walkability, downtown, schools, neighborly feel are all there much like Elmhurst. And at, say, a $600k - $1M budget, you'll get more house or more updates in AH.
That's actually exactly what our budget is. I've been looking at houses in the 650K-1m range. And yes, commute is important because my husband is the one who will sit in it every day - but I mean, whether we're talking 25 minutes or 40 is not essential. I got in touch with a broker and she is looking for houses in both Elmhurst and AH for us. Right now I feel like we'd be happy with either!

Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times
OP, if you are considering moving the needle on commute for Elmhurst, then no reason not to do the same and take a look at Park Ridge. Downtown Elmhurst is larger, but downtown Park Ridge is nicer, more "homey", more polished. For whatever reason, I prefer the neighborhood aesthetic in Park Ridge vs. Elmhurst or Glen Ellyn or AH too. It's one of my favorite suburbs in IL. That said, Park Ridge (like Elmhurst) will be more expensive than Glen Ellyn or AH, and it will be exceedingly difficult to find something near downtown unless you have new build money ($1.3+) or are OK with a gut job (near downtown, that means house at $550k+ and $200k+ in reno).

As far as commute, you'd take 72 all the way to Schaumburg and could avoid 90 to Golf during rush hour.

South of downtown Park Ridge, and directly North/Northeast of downtown are the nicest areas in Park Ridge:

Historic/Country Club: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0169...7i16384!8i8192

Cuberland Ave Area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0016...7i16384!8i8192

W Talcott Area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0066...7i16384!8i8192

DT Park Ridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0102...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...!4d-87.8312944

Last edited by mwj119; 09-17-2020 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-17-2020, 10:53 AM

Just to clarify the "walkable downtown" part: We don't need to be able to walk TO downtown. In fact, I'd prefer something a little more "out" so there's a chance of a little more nature and a larger lot. I just meant that I am looking for a town with a downtown area that you can walk around in once you get there - with a nice walkable core.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
OP, if you are considering moving the needle on commute for Elmhurst, then no reason not to do the same and take a look at Park Ridge. Downtown Elmhurst is larger, but downtown Park Ridge is nicer, more "homey", more polished. For whatever reason, I prefer the neighborhood aesthetic in Park Ridge vs. Elmhurst or Glen Ellyn or AH too. It's one of my favorite suburbs in IL. That said, Park Ridge (like Elmhurst) will be more expensive than Glen Ellyn or AH, and it will be exceedingly difficult to find something near downtown unless you have new build money or are OK with a gut job.

As far as commute, you'd take 72 all the way to Schaumburg and could avoid 90 to Golf during rush hour.

South of downtown Park Ridge, and directly North/Northeast of downtown are the nicest areas in Park Ridge:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-78850?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-08390?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-55699?view=qv

DT Park Ridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0102...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...!4d-87.8312944
Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at these. And like I clarified above, it's not that I wish to live close to downtown so that's not a requirement at all. I just want there to BE a downtown that's nice to go to.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:51 PM

13 posts, read 14,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitherechitown View Post
Hi there folks! I will be moving to the Chicago area this winter with my family and I am researching NW suburbs to look at (husband's job will be in Schaumburg so commute time is pretty important).

I was pretty set on Arlington Heights but then I heard about Elmhurst and Glen Ellyn - and, frankly, a lot of other places that sounded attractive. So I would really appreciate some kind of breakdown of pros and cons of these places. Or maybe even other suggestions.

What we're looking for:

- safe
- excellent public schools (elementary and middle)
- nice walkable downtown area with something to do (so not just "quaint" but with actual restaurants, bars, maybe a movie teater, maybe some shopping)
- convenient train access to Chicago
- good options for outdoor nature activities
- aaaand anything else anyone might add that I haven't thought of. Seriously, I would love ANY input since I don't know anything.

Thank you so much in advance.

Glen Ellyn if you can afford it.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM

77 posts, read 52,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I didn't agree with most of that post, but people do indeed treat entire burbs like they are all on different planets.
To be fair, not all suburbs are the same. Some have higher property tax than others, some have better school districts than others, some have better commute to downtown, etc.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST29 View Post
To be fair, not all suburbs are the same. Some have higher property tax than others, some have better school districts than others, some have better commute to downtown, etc.
Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, and Arlington Heights are remarkably similar, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs