U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:33 PM

39 posts, read 43,606 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can anyone tell me about Antioch area in general? Schools, housing and crime rates? Pros and cons?
Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 58,382 times
I now live across the border not far away in Wisconsin, but I have couple of friends that live in Antioch and have visited dozens of times.The housing market in Antioch is insane at present. So if you are looking to buy you had better start camping out on Zillow and be prepared to move quickly if you see something you like.

So most communities up here in the far Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin corridor are pretty similar in disposition overall.
1) They are predominately White.
2) They are a mix of wealthier newcomers in the new subdivisions and old school working class closer to "downtown"
3) You have a significant number of people who have lake property as a Summer getaway who are not around much.
4) The people who inhabit them are laid back almost to a fault.
5)They are normally centered around a lake as a focal point as you can't drive far in any direction without running into one.

Antioch follows this same pattern. It has a quaint downtown with old school shops. There is huge boating and outdoorsman community. If you do not own a boat now you will within a couple of years of moving in. People tend to look out for one another. In someplace like Chicago this would be considered "nosey", but this is totally normal in someplace like Antioch. Lots and lots of school age children. Crime is almost a non-factor.

How much you enjoy living in Antioch has as much to do with you as it does the town.

The last detail I will add is this: if you are searching this far north you do realize you can save several grand a year in property taxes just across the border in Twin Lakes, Trevor, etc. right? That might be worth investigating for you also. Culturally things are nearly identical, just lots more Packers flags.

Last edited by RemoteInWisco; 03-29-2021 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 12:06 PM

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. Yes did think of buying in every area in Wisconsin but no luck. Market is super crazy.
What about Winthrop harbor? Crime and all?
Thanks again

Old 03-29-2021, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, I have spent very little time over in the Winthrop Harbor area, other than a couple of hiking trips to Illinois Beach State Park (some of the best landscape photography I have ever taken in my life BTW) Hopefully someone else more familiar with the area can chime in.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:21 PM
wjj

905 posts, read 1,177,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison19 View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. Yes did think of buying in every area in Wisconsin but no luck. Market is super crazy.
What about Winthrop harbor? Crime and all?
Thanks again

The entire strip of towns along the lake from North Chicago to Waukegan, to Zion, to Wnthrop Harbor are not great places to live. Antioch is fine. You might want to look at Johnsburg too if you are going to look that far north. Remoteinwisco hit it pretty much on the head for Illinois town up near the WI border and WI towns just on the other side.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:41 PM

Thanks. Are you referring to crime rate or quality of life?

Old 03-29-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
The entire strip of towns along the lake from North Chicago to Waukegan, to Zion, to Wnthrop Harbor are not great places to live. Antioch is fine. You might want to look at Johnsburg too if you are going to look that far north. Remoteinwisco hit it pretty much on the head for Illinois town up near the WI border and WI towns just on the other side.
Really the only difference in those border towns on the Illinois side near me is Mchenry County vs. Lake County, though from a property tax standpoint neither is going to work out well for the homeowner. Johnsburg is a good suggestion however, as it has that whole quintessential and idyllic Americana vibe going for it that so many people want. Or at least think they want, and still has easy access to the chain. Also with Mchenry being right there, shopping for things is not an issue when needed.

Last edited by RemoteInWisco; 03-29-2021 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 02:39 PM
wjj

905 posts, read 1,177,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison19 View Post
Thanks. Are you referring to crime rate or quality of life?

Both

Old 03-30-2021, 09:28 AM

73 posts, read 28,241 times
I will add to be in store for a culture shock if you move to/near the McHenry area. I came here from Chicago seven years ago and knowing what I know now, I never would have done it unfortunately. Scenic wise, it's very nice however.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintbox View Post
I will add to be in store for a culture shock if you move to/near the McHenry area. I came here from Chicago seven years ago and knowing what I know now, I never would have done it unfortunately. Scenic wise, it's very nice however.
Interesting. I have not spent a ton of time in Mchenry, other than fishing over by the dam a few times, but what are some of the specifics of the culture shock you mentioned?

The other thing I have heard about Mchenry from people in casual conversation has to do with McCullom Lake. Supposedly there was some kind of toxic waste spill there or something several years back? Just something I have heard through the grapevine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs