U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2021, 10:35 AM
 
7 posts, read 4,595 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi I have been reviewing the forum before posting this.


I have been working in Lombard for 9 years and own a small house on the north side of town. We were just informed of the sale of the company and the new company intends to shut down Lombard in the next year or so and change our job station to Wauconda. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I am just a single guy with dogs used to a 15 minute commute. Maps says this commute will be 33 miles and anywhere from 45 to 1hr plus each way so I guess I have no choice but to move. I have niche skills so switching jobs isn't easy and many companies don't pay well for my skills.


I am therefore forced to conclude that in the long run I need to move. I am also well aware of the catastrophic problems the government of Illinois has caused and visited on its residents in the form of property taxes. Here is what I am looking for.


I just want a small 2 bedroom house with detached garage and utility room within 20 minutes of work. I really am not too fussy. Budget $250-300k


A realtor friend and a couple others told me Lake county has the worst property taxes and worst performing real estate in the area so I might not want to buy in Wauconda or the neighboring areas in Lake county?


I'm not sure if the adjacent areas in Mchenry county like Mchenry or Johnsburg are any better or what the threat of flooding is that close to the Fox River.


Genoa city or Wilmot are 20 miles away in Wisconsin but I am really not wanting to commute that far.


Another option is Arlington Heights or Palatine along the northern end of Cook County say between 68 and Lake Cook. That would be a 15 mile 25 minute commute still a bit longer than I would want.


I am considering leaving Illinois but for now I am running under the assumption that I am staying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2021, 10:38 AM
 
Location: broke leftist craphole Illizuela
10,339 posts, read 16,471,246 times
Reputation: 20255
I would definitely lean towards Genoa city or Wilmot. You can see the issues with Lake County on this graph vs Dupage which is one of the better run counties in Illinois (at least in terms of Illinois as good as it gets which isn't good).

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 10:54 AM
 
207 posts, read 179,518 times
Reputation: 122
I don't see how you can not buy in Lake Co or McHenry Co and keep your commute to 20 mins or less, especially in the winter. There is no tollway nearby since 53 ends at Lake Cook Road. The main roads in/by Wauconda are Rt 12 and Rt 176. With the multiple stop lights/speed limits you'll be hitting on Route 12 (Rand Rd if you are further south), driving down from southern WI to Wauconda would be a pain of a commute, IMO. The commute from northern Cook Co to Wauconda is less than ideal too.

Yes, property taxes in Lake Co are crazy high. We just moved out of state from the Long Grove area last year and the amount of $$$ we are now saving on taxes alone is mind-blowing.

I'm not sure if you're going to be able to get both your desired commute and desire for low property taxes in this situation. Which is more of a priority?

Last edited by olive03; 04-29-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM
 
9,517 posts, read 8,596,472 times
Reputation: 9221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidog42 View Post
Hi I have been reviewing the forum before posting this.


I have been working in Lombard for 9 years and own a small house on the north side of town. We were just informed of the sale of the company and the new company intends to shut down Lombard in the next year or so and change our job station to Wauconda. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I am just a single guy with dogs used to a 15 minute commute. Maps says this commute will be 33 miles and anywhere from 45 to 1hr plus each way so I guess I have no choice but to move. I have niche skills so switching jobs isn't easy and many companies don't pay well for my skills.
So you want to live in a relatively inexpensive area near Wauconda? Well, from what i discovered, but you will have to check out areas - perhaps Mundelein, Elk Grove Village, Mt Prospect, Grayslake, or Algonquin. Mc Henry county also. Antioch also. Gurnee, but some areas are safer than others. Waukegan is cheap but my understanding is its not too safe.

Ask a realtor and they will help, but they wont tell you where to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 12:39 PM
 
7 posts, read 4,595 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So you want to live in a relatively inexpensive area near Wauconda? Well, from what i discovered, but you will have to check out areas - perhaps Mundelein, Elk Grove Village, Mt Prospect, Grayslake, or Algonquin. Mc Henry county also. Antioch also. Gurnee, but some areas are safer than others. Waukegan is cheap but my understanding is its not too safe.
I'd definitely consider Mundelein but most of the rest of the places you listed are not very close to Wauconda. Not sure what the taxes are like in Mundelein or McHenry County [Mchenry Johnsburg].
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 01:56 PM
 
207 posts, read 179,518 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidog42 View Post
I'd definitely consider Mundelein but most of the rest of the places you listed are not very close to Wauconda. Not sure what the taxes are like in Mundelein or McHenry County [Mchenry Johnsburg].
Maybe try the Round Lake communities, Volo or Lakemoor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 04:28 PM
wjj
 
903 posts, read 1,172,923 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
Maybe try the Round Lake communities, Volo or Lakemoor?
Volo and Lakemoor are both good ideas. I would add Island Lake too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2021, 08:20 AM
 
7 posts, read 4,595 times
Reputation: 10
So far Mundelein looks like the Lombard of Lake County and about 7 miles due east from work. Not sure about Wauconda itself. It looks like there isn't a big difference between Mchenry and Lake County in that area, Mchenry homes are cheaper but the rate is higher so the bill ends up being about the same.


To be honest I have started looking at jobs outside the state. I may just end up leaving the state if I have to move. There are a few companies in Cincinnati that do what I do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2021, 08:51 AM
 
9,517 posts, read 8,596,472 times
Reputation: 9221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidog42 View Post
So far Mundelein looks like the Lombard of Lake County and about 7 miles due east from work. Not sure about Wauconda itself. It looks like there isn't a big difference between Mchenry and Lake County in that area, Mchenry homes are cheaper but the rate is higher so the bill ends up being about the same.


To be honest I have started looking at jobs outside the state. I may just end up leaving the state if I have to move. There are a few companies in Cincinnati that do what I do.

Definitely prices are way better across the border in Wisconsin. And not too far from Wauconda. Have you looked at Antioch? (by the way I love that area by Fox Lake for scenery and beauty).

I'm basing this on rental prices, since I am not a home owners. I'm guessing that if rent prices are lower, then home prices may be lower too.

I'm thinking Pleasant Prairie just over the border by Kenosha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2021, 01:15 PM
 
Location: broke leftist craphole Illizuela
10,339 posts, read 16,471,246 times
Reputation: 20255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm thinking Pleasant Prairie just over the border by Kenosha.
As OP said Wilmot and Genoa city would be closest to Wauconda though Wilmot has a population of 500 and Genoa city 3000. Pleasant Prairie would be all the way east giving him a 30 mile commute. The other 2 are 20. Lake Geneva is also 30 miles.

I understand the OP's dilema very well. If I thought I could get an equivalent job I'd get the heck out of Illinois in a heartbeat. I'd recommend he/she keep applying for jobs out of state. The Illinois govt has its knees on the necks of residents here and they are suffocating with no relief in sight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top