Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 22,489 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old single guy looking to move out of my parents' house. I work in Markham and I'd like a relatively quick commute to work (25 minutes at the longest). I also know a bunch of people on the north/west side that I visit pretty regularly, so I've decided that somewhere along 294 would be my best bet.

I'm looking for places with an urban feel, a good neighborhood, and a decent night life (all I really need is a bar or two in walking distance, nothing special). A place like lincoln park in the south-southwest area would be great, but I don't know if a place like this exists. I'm not too price sensitive, but I'd like it to be reasonable. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,429 times
Thumbs up Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park

You want a city like feel with the tons of shopping, restaurants, and yes traffic, then look at Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park. Those are as urban of burbs on the south side as they get I think and they are right on 294 @95th Street. I can't say enough about the towns other than they are safe, clean, and have come along way from being once very prestigous, to run down a bit, now they both are cleaning themselves back up and putting themselves back into the spot light.

Oak Lawn's little downtown along 95th Street @ SW Highway is very quaint (50's style) with the stores lining both sides of 95th Street and in many cases there are apartments and condos above them. Housing in the town is well versed, from raised ranches like you would see in the city, to sprawling houses like you would see in Orland Park ranging in price from $250K-$850K. Since much of the town is older, many of the streets now are tree lined (being planted back in the 40's and 50's) and much of the town's city stuff (city hall, library, police station) have all been redone in recent years and are new.

Nearby Evergreen Park is pretty much a carbon copy of the east side of Oak Lawn and is also a hustling and bustiling community with tons of traffic! (so I guess thats good for the town's economy)

In either case, both towns offer good schools, great parks, are safe with a great police force, and have plenty to do. Check them out. Oh ya, and are both within a 30 min drive to Markham and Orland Park!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I was thinking that may be the best bet too, but I don't think "quaint" when I think Oak Lawn/EP...

When I think quaint I think more like Geneva and there is nothing like that close to 294.

In fact when I think "Lincoln Park" I just do not know another area in Illinois with the same mix of actual college students and post-college singles, high income city dwelling couples and families with kids, dense local based and national retailers, and unique dining/entertainment options. There are several other places that have some similar features but even looking at Boston, NY, San Fran each also has some differences...

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,748,867 times
Do you mean nort/northwest 'burbs, or N/NW city?
An off-294 option that fits your commute and lifestyle would be the neighborhood of Beverly in Chicago. You can shoot down I-57 to markham quickly and enjoy a pretty good bar/culture scene along Western Ave.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 22,489 times
I meant N/NW Suburbs... Schaumburg, Addison area.

Also, what are some good places to look for apartments? I've searched online and looked through the daily herald/sun times. Any other places I should look?

Thanks all!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM

40 posts, read 124,399 times
What about the "Glen Town Center" in Glenview (2 miles from I-294)? The area around the mall / movie theater where the "Aloft" rental apartment buildings are located has a very city-like feel, pedestrian friendly with bars and restaurants. I went there first time a month ago to watch a movie in the new theater and I was positively impressed.

Aloftâ„¢ Apartments~ North Shore Rental Apartments ~ Luxury Living at The Glen Town Center

I understand it sprouted up recently on the grounds of the old Naval Air station. Looks like an experiment in "new urbanism".

Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Way expensive and WAY WAY WAY far from Markham... Geared toward a whole different segment than a 23 yr old single guy, might be good for "cougar hunting"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs