Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 01:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good day, team!

Gurnee used to be my favorite town as a mid point area between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Over time, I discovered Libertyville, and then Highwood. I've taken my kids to both, friends and family to both, and dates to both.

Recently, I took my dad to Highwood's Fall Fest, and I was shocked that he actually suggested that I MOVE there! (He keeps wanting me to stay in Wisconsin!).

I'd love to hear what YOUR likes/ dislikes? are about these 2 towns.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 04:48 PM

121 posts, read 175,496 times
Kinda depends on your situation in life. If schools are a big factor then Libertyville is probably the better choice although the schools in Highwood are fine. If schools aren’t as big of a factor then Highwood is great as well and close to the lake and close to Highland Park.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:36 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
Kinda depends on your situation in life. If schools are a big factor then Libertyville is probably the better choice although the schools in Highwood are fine. If schools aren’t as big of a factor then Highwood is great as well and close to the lake and close to Highland Park.
Highwood has more entertainment. There are nice parts of town, especially within the boundaries of Fort Sheridan. However, the rest of it is a relative anomaly on the North Shore in that there is a very high concentration of military people and working-class Hispanics.

I have not spent a lot of time in Libertyville. Living close by, I've driven through it a few times. But, that is really the limit of my first-hand experience. However, my perception is that Libertyville is really just Vernon Hills or Mundelein with just a little bit more money and character.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 PM

121 posts, read 175,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Highwood has more entertainment. There are nice parts of town, especially within the boundaries of Fort Sheridan. However, the rest of it is a relative anomaly on the North Shore in that there is a very high concentration of military people and working-class Hispanics.

I have not spent a lot of time in Libertyville. Living close by, I've driven through it a few times. But, that is really the limit of my first-hand experience. However, my perception is that Libertyville is really just Vernon Hills or Mundelein with just a little bit more money and character.
Libertyville and Vernon Hills are very similar. Both places are family oriented, go shopping at the same stores on Milwaukee, have good school systems (although Libertyville school systems tend to score higher) and are stereotypical American suburbs. The main difference between the two is Libertyville has a walkable downtown core and Vernon Hills has a larger inventory of newer built homes and is more diverse.

I’m not as familiar with Highwood but I imagine it offers more amenities than Libertyville. Closer to the lake, closer to other Lake shore suburbs and so forth.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:55 AM

Logic87, good morning, and thank you for your contributions.

I must say, I do love the downtowns of both Libertyville and Highwood.

Does Vernon Hills have the same style of downtown? I have been to different parts of Vernon Hills, but don't remember it being the same style. I do see they are building more and more at the Mall on Milwaukee and 60.

Maybe the Vernon Hillans (I just made up that word, I think) go to Libertyville when they want that cozy, closer street, downtown vibe?

Old 10-14-2021, 07:57 AM

Hiruko, my friend!!

Both towns strike me as very family oriented with a nice mixture of places you can take the kids OR a place where adults can go have adult time.

Coincidentally, I do believe both have that Clucker's Chicken restaurant, which I have YET to try!!!!

Old 10-14-2021, 08:42 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Logic87, good morning, and thank you for your contributions.

I must say, I do love the downtowns of both Libertyville and Highwood.

Does Vernon Hills have the same style of downtown? I have been to different parts of Vernon Hills, but don't remember it being the same style. I do see they are building more and more at the Mall on Milwaukee and 60.

Maybe the Vernon Hillans (I just made up that word, I think) go to Libertyville when they want that cozy, closer street, downtown vibe?

There is no traditional downtown in Vernon Hills. But it is the retail haven of the area centered at Rt. 60 and Milwaukee Ave. There is a single HS district that includes both Libertyville HS and Vernon Hills HS (everyone went to LHS until about 20 years ago when VHHS was built to relieve overcrowding at LHS). Both are highly rated and also nearly identical in various benchmarks. There is a wide variety of housing in both places from low-mid 6 figures to low 7 figures. There is a good deal of newer housing in Vernon Hills along Milwaukee (Greggs Landing, Cuneo Mainsion and Gardens). Vernon Hillians? go to downtown Libertyville and Libertyvillians? shop in Vernon Hills. It's like one big town and it is often hard to know which town you are actually in. Both towns draw people from all over the area. I am in Buffalo Grove but visit both Libertyville and Vernon Hills regularly along with Deer Park.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Libertyville + Vernon Hills is almost the far northern Chicagoland answer to Naperville, but at scale. That is, great schools, sizable downtown, older neighborhoods around the core, and sprawling developments as you extend out.

The demographic differences between Libertyville and Highwood are pretty clear. Libertyville is one of the most well educated villages in IL, with 70% of residents holding at least a bachelor's degree. And medium income level is quite high at $134k. It's not very diverse, with only 6% of the town being of Asian descent. And over 25% of the town is <18 years of age.

Highwood is 51% hispanic according to the census. It's far more working class, not dissimilar to close by Wheeling, with a reported median income of $63k and 38% of residents with a bachelor's degree.

Personally, I think Highwood is more "dynamic". Though Libertyville has some good eats and spots to drink, it doesn't stand up to Highwood and it's eclectic collection of restaurants and bars. And I prefer it's not-so-distant location to Highland Park, Glencoe, Glenview, etc. More going on, more to see, more to do.

As far as which area interests me more, I'd say Highwood. I'm pretty bullish that Highwood is the best kept secret in Chicagoland, especially for those looking to raise a family in a diverse environment and without the north shore price tag.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:50 AM

wjj, good morning to you.

I DO like what they did with that new shopping center/housing across from the mall. WOW! I remember when that was just fields.

I am NOT a fan of the new style of Barnes and Noble that they have over there! I liked it's style, when it was in the mall.

Funny how the Vernon Hillians and Libertyvillians (NOT to be confused with the bad ones who live there, known as LibertyVILLAINS!) they take a break from their own shopping hubs and take a quick drive down Milwaukee Avenue to shop at their nighbor's!

Know, imagine a Milwaukeean who takes many trips that are NOT so quick, to come down to get a break from the Milwaukee scene to enjoy that of his neighbors to the south!

Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM

mwj119, good morning to you, as well, and thank you as well for your feedback!

Calling the area the north version of Naperville is awesome, because I fell in love with Naperville a few years back.

Perhaps it doesn't really matter, but I am Hispanic. And I also LOVE to celebrate that Illinois Italian heritage, so Highwood is a fabulous blend of the two cultures.

Highwood, the best kept secret??? Well, then shhh, let's keep it to just this forum!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs