U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,691 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided we're ready to leave the city and make the move to the suburbs. We are specifically eyeing Dupage County, as we've heard areas along the BNSF have decent train schedules and good schools. Some more background on what we're looking for:

1. We grew up in the southwest subrubs and still have family there so easy access south is helpful
2. With commuting downtown reliable/quick metra is key
3. Kids are in our future so schools are important
4. Budget is $550K and we're hoping for 3-4 bedroom

Overall, I'm partial to Downers Grove, as we have friends there and it seems to fit our criteria. But it seems to buy something in DG we'd likely be at the top of our budget. So are they any other suburbs we should give a closer look?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 05:54 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,399,941 times
Downers Grove covers a large area of 50,000 pop. 3 high schools. Get downtown via BNSF Metra a plus. Getting to southwest suburbs via Lemont or IL 83. This puts you not far from Palos forest preserve area. Fairly close to both I-55, I-88 toll.

Maybe compare Downers Grove with Lisle to Westmont then south to Darien. Other option skip Hinsdale but try Brookfield & maybe La Grange. In general a few communities along the BNSF Metra lines. Check for local Pace bus commute to/from train station.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:49 PM

9,452 posts, read 5,338,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye918 View Post
My husband and I have decided we're ready to leave the city and make the move to the suburbs. We are specifically eyeing Dupage County, as we've heard areas along the BNSF have decent train schedules and good schools. Some more background on what we're looking for:

1. We grew up in the southwest subrubs and still have family there so easy access south is helpful

Overall, I'm partial to Downers Grove, as we have friends there and it seems to fit our criteria. But it seems to buy something in DG we'd likely be at the top of our budget. So are they any other suburbs we should give a closer look?

Thanks!
What part of DG are you looking in? It’s a big village. Yes if you are sticking to the area closest to downtown, you will likely be outside your budget. If you expand past the core area, it gets more reasonable- north of Ogden or S of Maple. I’m in the north area and people still walk or ride their bikes to the train station from where I am. You may be able to find more close to downtown in Lisle or Westmont, as they tend to be reasonable.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:22 AM

2,489 posts, read 1,848,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye918 View Post

Thanks!
How much time are you willing to spend commuting each way?

Do you have anything more particular about the house you're looking for? Newer home, certain type of layout, etc?

Anything more particular about the type of suburb you're lookin for? For instance, towns like DG, Hinsdale and Naperville have pretty vibrant downtowns. Lisle and Clarendon Hills less so.

Are there suburbs you've already likely crossed off your list?

Old 11-02-2021, 07:52 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,120,243 times
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14058677
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14050446
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14063400

Since you want to be close to the BNSF, close to a vibrant downtown, and have a budget, Western Springs is worth a look. Good investment, close to the SW suburbs ( just go right down Willow Springs Road, easily easier than DG), Not sure what you are looking for, but also great schools.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:52 AM

4,125 posts, read 7,370,535 times
The top suburbs in Dupage county leaving Hinsdale, Oak Brook, and Burr Ridge, off the list (very expensive), not in any order:

Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Naperville, Downers Grove

Lisle, Lombard, Westmont, Villa Park, Addison, and others not mentioned are a notch or several notches down.

Winfield and Warrenville are kind of obscure, and you need to check carefully if you plan to buy there (on a number of accounts)

Old 11-04-2021, 08:09 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,465,022 times
Metra Union Pacific West isn't bad either. Lombard is a good value. Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are more expensive.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:37 AM

688 posts, read 967,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The top suburbs in Dupage county leaving Hinsdale, Oak Brook, and Burr Ridge, off the list (very expensive), not in any order:

Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Naperville, Downers Grove

Lisle, Lombard, Westmont, Villa Park, Addison, and others not mentioned are a notch or several notches down.

Winfield and Warrenville are kind of obscure, and you need to check carefully if you plan to buy there (on a number of accounts)
I'd throw Lisle and Westmont above Villa Park and Addison. Addison is pretty bottom of the barrel.

Winfield/Warrenville you have to be careful about schools - I think Warrenville fares a bit better from that perspective.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 1,848,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I'd throw Lisle and Westmont above Villa Park and Addison. Addison is pretty bottom of the barrel.

Winfield/Warrenville you have to be careful about schools - I think Warrenville fares a bit better from that perspective.
Also good to keep in mind that a portion of Lisle feeds into Naperville district 203 schools. I think an even smaller portion feeds into Downers Grove schools.

Westmont is split up among several school districts (Westmont, Hinsdale and Downers Grove) - something to be aware of if looking there.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:27 AM

9,452 posts, read 5,338,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post

Yeah. I am not sure why the person rated Lombard so low. It is another town that is a good value. A benefit to being on the UP West towns is that they are also on the prairie path, which is really nice for biking/running/walking.

With schools, I think Burr Ridge also has the same problem- part feeds into excellent schools, but the other part (south) feeds into a low performing HS. I go to the gym there and have heard someone complaining in the past about trying to sell homes in the area with the lower performing schools. I think some of the districts with more than one HS do have some differing levels of quality, but none are quite as pronounced as in Burr Ridge. For example, Hinsdale Central and DG North high schools are generally considered to be better than Hinsdale South and DG South, but they are all good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs