Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 20,687 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
We're looking at two houses, trying to see which would be better. We live in Arlington Heights, so know this area, and that's where one of the homes is. However, the other is in downtown Palatine.

I like it because it is 1/2 mile walk to the train station (the house is south of the tracks, west of Plum Grove). I'm not too familiar with that "downtown" area, and wondering if there are any considerations we should know about, either pro OR con.

Oops, almost forgot to ask about schools--some initial research seems like Fremd is a good school. Anyone know about the grade/middle schools?

Elementary: STUART R PADDOCK District #:15
Middle:PLUM GROVE JUNIOR District #: 15
High:WM FREMD District #:211

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 PM

47 posts, read 164,643 times
Downtown Palatine is ok.. I prefer Schaumburg. More stuff to do.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
The area you mention in Palatine has nice 'hoods and yes, very nice to walk to town,trains etc. I think Palatine has about everything and what isnt there, you can venture over to the mall,strip malls, or chains in Shaumburg. Palatine has a very nice home town feel in most areas. I certainly dont think there is 'more to do in Schaumburg" unless you like strip malls and franchise restaraunts. Downtown Palatine remains very desirable.Fremd is a very good school and we had friends whos 3 kids went to PG junior, good reviews from them. Check out 'great schools'.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,484 times
Question Why move from Arlington Heights to Palatine?

I am curious to find out why you are moving from Arlington Heights to Palatine? I think that Arlington Heights is much nicer than Palatine. Arlington Heights also has highly acclaimed schools. John Hersey High School was also in the top 50 just like William Fremd High School on the Chicago Sun Times List. Arlington Heights also has a more stable real estate market. Palatine had a huge run-up in 2005 and then crashed in 2006 along with the rest of the United States. I would stick to Arlington Heights if I were you, I don't know who your agent is but he/she is not giving you good advise to look into Palatine, because that is a downgrade from Arlington Heights. By the way those schools you mentioned are good but no better than something you could find in Arlington Heights.

Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
This is not true and a rather silly generalization.I am sure most people to not beleive Palatine is a 'down grade". Arlington Hts is nice and so is Palatine, I think they are rather similar in many ways.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 20,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
I am curious to find out why you are moving from Arlington Heights to Palatine? I think that Arlington Heights is much nicer than Palatine. Arlington Heights also has highly acclaimed schools. John Hersey High School was also in the top 50 just like William Fremd High School on the Chicago Sun Times List. Arlington Heights also has a more stable real estate market. Palatine had a huge run-up in 2005 and then crashed in 2006 along with the rest of the United States. I would stick to Arlington Heights if I were you, I don't know who your agent is but he/she is not giving you good advise to look into Palatine, because that is a downgrade from Arlington Heights. By the way those schools you mentioned are good but no better than something you could find in Arlington Heights.

Good Luck!
I am looking at areas around the following Metra train stops:
Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, Arlington hts, and Palatine.

I commute downtown, and I will also be having an older parent moving in with us that uses the same train. I would love to stay in Arlington Hts, but properties w/in walking distance to the train are very expensive, and we also require a full finished basement w/ full bath. So, these two requirements limit the options. Thus--Palatine is a good runner-up for location!
Thanks for all the info, guys.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Have you considered renovation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWburbs View Post
I am looking at areas around the following Metra train stops:
Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, Arlington hts, and Palatine.

I commute downtown, and I will also be having an older parent moving in with us that uses the same train. I would love to stay in Arlington Hts, but properties w/in walking distance to the train are very expensive, and we also require a full finished basement w/ full bath. So, these two requirements limit the options. Thus--Palatine is a good runner-up for location!
Thanks for all the info, guys.
Although I make some money from real estate it is not my full time job, thus in my real life I can and do tell people that sometimes it does not make sense to move when they need/want different things than what their house has. Remodeling is not something that I do for a living either, but I have remodeled places to make a house more functional for my needs as well as to increase its market appeal.

Without knowing the specifics you might be able to convert your existing residence into something that is "in-law friendly" OR may be able to find a "fixer upper" in Arlington Heights that you could turn into a great in-law situation.

Palatine is not a bad town at all, I'd just hate to see you turn your life upside down and move kids to new schools without being sure that there is not a better option.

BTW The big advertising remodelers are pretty busy, because they have full time selling staff and still get top dollar but a lot of very professional contractors that have relied on word of mouth and no advertising are currently experiencing a slow down from where they were a year ago -- new construction starts are way way off and they have access to more labor than they've had in a long time, but people have forgotten about what good sense it makes to do the kind of renovations that might make a place perfect for you. It may be the perfect time to fix up the place you are currently in OR to track down a "project house" that is close to your existing home. Sometimes if you have a lead on family that may be moving an elderly individual out or something similar you just be able to put together a win-win all around...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
There are a lot of rental single family homes in or near downtown Palatine, much the same as it once was in AH.

You might get more for your money and a shorter commute by considering Mount Prospect.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
OK, I live in A.H. and it is very nice. But, hey, so is Palatine. I think Palatine is a better value than AH. This is subjective, and all are decent-but I think downtown Palatine is much nicer than Mt. Prospect or Des Plaines downtown. More trees, more coziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs