U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 17,130 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to be closer to our kids in Evanston. Unfortunately, the price of single family detached homes in Evanston is out of our budget so we are looking north and northwest. We will probably be seeing them most weekdays in order to watch the grandchild. I've been told that Google maps commute times are inaccurate and that commuting to Evanston takes a lot longer than they indicate. I'm wondering which suburbs or towns are realistically less than an hour away from Evanston during the commute hours. I've been told that Antioch, Crystal Lake and such are much more than an hour. Any advice or information? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 03:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,652,681 times
If your goal is to be in Evanston daily, then I wouldn't go as far as an hour away. Evanston is a great town, but it really is difficult to get to. I would look for something off of 94, if you can find anything in your budget. Are Skokie, Niles or Morton Grove in your budget? Those would be nice since they aren't that far. There's no way I'd try to go from Crystal Lake to Evanston daily.

What is your budget?

Old 12-09-2021, 04:03 PM

3,030 posts, read 2,763,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk5555 View Post
We are relocating to be closer to our kids in Evanston. Unfortunately, the price of single family detached homes in Evanston is out of our budget so we are looking north and northwest. We will probably be seeing them most weekdays in order to watch the grandchild. I've been told that Google maps commute times are inaccurate and that commuting to Evanston takes a lot longer than they indicate. I'm wondering which suburbs or towns are realistically less than an hour away from Evanston during the commute hours. I've been told that Antioch, Crystal Lake and such are much more than an hour. Any advice or information? Thanks.
Crystal Lake is a commuting disaster to Evanston and should not be considered. Some of Antioch is not too bad due to its proximity to I-94. Northwest Evanston is just a few minutes from the Edens. If your budget allows, I would definitely try to consider some of the smaller bungalows in Skokie, Niles, Lincolnwood, Des Plaines, Park Ridge, Morton Grove, or Glenview. Chicagoland traffic is back almost as bad as prior to the pandemic and even more unpredictable.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:00 PM

Thanks, everyone. We are balancing two things: house price and property tax. Your taxes are literally five times what we have in New Mexico. Anyway, house budget is up to $320,000. Looking at a Mundelein, Grayslake, Vernon Hills, Northbrook and the ones you've mentioned.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:48 AM
wjj

903 posts, read 1,172,923 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. We are balancing two things: house price and property tax. Your taxes are literally five times what we have in New Mexico. Anyway, house budget is up to $320,000. Looking at a Mundelein, Grayslake, Vernon Hills, Northbrook and the ones you've mentioned.

I unfortunately had to commute from Buffalo Grove to Evanston for several weeks a couple years ago. It was a painful experience and that was in the summer. I can't imagine doing it daily in the winter. So places like Grayslake and Mundelein would be even worse given they are further northwest from Evanston than BG and you would have to fight packed east/west roads out that way just to get to I94. The commute from Vernon Hills would be similar to BG. Northbrook would be more reasonable. Your budget is going to be a challenge for a SFH in any of those towns on top of an awful commute.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
$320k is very hard for a single-family home in Evanston and the communities closest to Evanston. If you could open yourself up to a townhome you would be more likely to find something in your range. Also, the Lake County towns like Mundelein, Grayslake, Antioch, and Vernon Hills will boast slightly higher property taxes than the communities closest to Evanston with only a couple of exceptions. That's something to weigh as well.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:34 PM

Thanks again, folks. That's good info about commuting from BG. Aargh! It's a tough one.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:13 PM

30 posts, read 20,683 times
Just throwing this out there, but would you consider a condo in Evanston? I don't know how much space you want/need, but you could probably get a large 2br or maybe even 3br condo in an great location. Close walk to lake/shops/etc.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanmom76 View Post
Just throwing this out there, but would you consider a condo in Evanston? I don't know how much space you want/need, but you could probably get a large 2br or maybe even 3br condo in an great location. Close walk to lake/shops/etc.
Yeah, a friend of mine has a nice 2 bedroom condo listed for only $260k in prime Southeast Evanston. It has the original kitchen, but there are still quite a few updates and it's pretty spacious. I don't think the assessments were not that bad and Evanston taxes are actually going to be lower than most of the Lake County towns mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs