U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 17,130 times

Advertisements

We are a 60-something retired couple of modest means and progressive inclinations. We are relocating from New Mexico to be closer to our kids in Evanston. Evanston is too pricey for us so we are looking north and northwest. We are white but have always lived in mixed race neighborhoods and towns and enjoy the mix of cultures diversity brings. People warn us off Waukegan, Beach Park and Zion. They say high crime. Sometimes when people say "high crime" they are actually meaning something else. Can anyone give us the straight poop on what it's like to live in these areas? We will be visiting in a couple of months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 01:02 PM

10,339 posts, read 16,472,662 times
From what I have heard there are some sections of Waukegan that are approaching decent but overall Lake Co north of Lake Bluff and east of say Green Bay RD is a crap hole.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:47 PM

688 posts, read 968,855 times
Gurnee / Lindenhurst?

Old 12-09-2021, 04:08 PM

3,030 posts, read 2,764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk5555 View Post
We are a 60-something retired couple of modest means and progressive inclinations. We are relocating from New Mexico to be closer to our kids in Evanston. Evanston is too pricey for us so we are looking north and northwest. We are white but have always lived in mixed race neighborhoods and towns and enjoy the mix of cultures diversity brings. People warn us off Waukegan, Beach Park and Zion. They say high crime. Sometimes when people say "high crime" they are actually meaning something else. Can anyone give us the straight poop on what it's like to live in these areas? We will be visiting in a couple of months.
I'm not sure I would be too worried about crime in Waukegan. According to City-Data's crime index, it is below the national average. Zion is a different story, but I still don't know if you should be afraid to live there.

And, yes, even as someone who is probably to the right of you, I see that far too many people just use "high crime" as a cover for their own racist inclinations. Predominately minority does not always equal unsafe or impoverished.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:05 PM

195 posts, read 195,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm not sure I would be too worried about crime in Waukegan. According to City-Data's crime index, it is below the national average. Zion is a different story, but I still don't know if you should be afraid to live there.

And, yes, even as someone who is probably to the right of you, I see that far too many people just use "high crime" as a cover for their own racist inclinations. Predominately minority does not always equal unsafe or impoverished.
To the OP, be careful taking advice about whether or not you should worry about crime from a poster whose profile says they reside in Evanston or Lake Forest.

Most normal people will tell you to avoid Waukegan. And if you were my parents, that's exactly what I'd tell you, too.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:54 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
To the OP, be careful taking advice about whether or not you should worry about crime from a poster whose profile says they reside in Evanston or Lake Forest.
Why is that? Does my residency in Lake Forest make my advice less valuable than someone living in Gurnee (maybe a more "normal" suburb)?

Just because I do not live in Waukegan doesn't mean that I have an inaccurate perception of the risk of being a victim of crime in Waukegan. City-Data stats show that crime there is below the national average. Sure, the crime rate is higher in Waukegan than it is in Lake Forest and Evanston, but Waukegan also has a larger, more diverse, and bigger working-class population than either of those communities.

I would not want to live in Waukegan, but crime is not why I do not want to live there.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 17,130 times
I mostly enjoy these forums and have gleaned a lot of useful information from the threads over the years, but there are countless times I've read threads that have devolved into pointless bickering between proponents of right and left ideologies. Why aren't there moderators who can supervise this stuff? I asked about Waukegan and appreciate everyone's sincere posts, no matter where they're from. Cmon guys and gals, if we can't have civility on a simple online forum, what hope is there for this country? And PLEASE, don't answer me. It was a rhetorical question.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:46 PM

74 posts, read 51,808 times
I assume since you said Evanston was too expensive you're only looking at Single Family Homes? If so I probably would avoid anything north of Lake Bluff as it declines in quality quickly and you'll be quite far away from family. I believe it's Waukegan that has the 2 superfund sites if I recall correctly? Since you're from New Mexico consider looking at Highwood. It'll be alot closer to Evanston (depending on how close to downtown Highland Park you are there's a handful of busses you can take or the train station for easy commuting) and has a nice mix of diversity and affordability while still being near the lake.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:59 PM

5,334 posts, read 2,920,211 times
Kenosha is right over the border in Wisconsin and a nice town. I grew up there and visit frequently. It’s safe, is racially mixed and housing prices are reasonable.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:23 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,653,222 times
What do you need from a house/home? Have you considered the far north neighborhoods in Chicago? Edison Park, for example, is a nice area and it's much more affordable than Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs