Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,943 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are looking seriously at moving to Elmhurst with our two young kids and would LOVE insight from current residents. I am particularly curious about how the train tracks impact walkability, e.g. if we lived on a different side of the tracks from the elementary school. Thanks in advance if you can help with any of the questions below:

1) Is there a pedestrian "underpass" to cross the train tracks? If so, where is it located and is it accessible with a stroller?

2) During a typical weekday, how many times per hour would you guess that a train runs by? Any idea if the UP-West line is any busier than BNSF line?

3) What does after-school pickup look like at the schools in the central / southern part of town like Hawthorne, Lincoln, Edison, or Jefferson? Is it a time for adults to socialize (when temps are above freezing)?

4) Are there any facilities in or near Elmhurst where kids can do activities (e.g., swimming, sports) while adults exercise? It could be anything from a public rec center to a private club. Bonus points for year-round!

For context, we have lived in Chicago for 15+ years and love the walkability and lakeshore path for running, but we're ready for a smaller school district and a cohesive, welcoming community where we will regularly run into people we know. Our kids are 4 and 1.5 years old. Any tips or watch-outs are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Elmhurst is a car-dependent city per Walkscore (49). The trains are a major PIA honestly. I'm not aware of any underpasses except for the one on Robert T. Palmer, and if you've seen it, it hardely feels pedestrian friendly with all the cars whizzing by, especially when they're booking over there to avoid said train.

But it does have good schools, and nice amenities downtown. The parks and libraries are also good. But Elmhurst is pretty spread out, so the closer you can live to the downtown core, the better.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:16 AM

748 posts, read 832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieB123 View Post
Hi all! We are looking seriously at moving to Elmhurst with our two young kids and would LOVE insight from current residents. I am particularly curious about how the train tracks impact walkability, e.g. if we lived on a different side of the tracks from the elementary school. Thanks in advance if you can help with any of the questions below:

1) Is there a pedestrian "underpass" to cross the train tracks? If so, where is it located and is it accessible with a stroller?

2) During a typical weekday, how many times per hour would you guess that a train runs by? Any idea if the UP-West line is any busier than BNSF line?

3) What does after-school pickup look like at the schools in the central / southern part of town like Hawthorne, Lincoln, Edison, or Jefferson? Is it a time for adults to socialize (when temps are above freezing)?

4) Are there any facilities in or near Elmhurst where kids can do activities (e.g., swimming, sports) while adults exercise? It could be anything from a public rec center to a private club. Bonus points for year-round!

For context, we have lived in Chicago for 15+ years and love the walkability and lakeshore path for running, but we're ready for a smaller school district and a cohesive, welcoming community where we will regularly run into people we know. Our kids are 4 and 1.5 years old. Any tips or watch-outs are much appreciated!

Are you set on JUST Elmhurst? If not, I'd expand your search, as there are plenty of good school districts close to trains that may be more walkable.

That said, I really, really think you need to get in the car (or on a Metra) -- bring the kids -- and experience the neighborhoods. Do it at different times of day. If you're really looking for a walkable community, you need to go walk the community.

That said - and, yes, it's where I live - there are all of the things you've described here in Downers Grove.

1 - Pedestrian underpass for train tracks (Belmont) or NO need to cross the tracks on a regular basis (downtown)

2 - Trains can be somewhat busy, but, again, a moot point in DG

3 - After school pickup: parents congregate at Pierce Downer (especially Kindergarten) and most walk to school with kids (there are no busses). Other schools are similar.

4 - DG rec center has child care (or, at least it did before the pandemic) and other villages are similar.

All of this said, you're simply not going to recreate the city in a suburb. You might get close with LaGrange, but Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, etc etc etc -- everyone is going to drive most of the time. Be as close to a downtown as you can be, and you might get some of what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2022, 05:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Pre pandemic, 60 Metra and about 30 freight trains, no Amtrak, went through Elmhurst on the UP line. There are two ways to get under it: the legendary Robert Palmer underpass (not named for the late singer, lol) and Rt 83. The two expressways to the east fly over the tracks but are not pedestrian friendly. For exercise, there is the Courts Plus fitness center.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
Quote:

1. Yes, there's an underpass at the train station in Elmhurst. Unfortunately, it is not stroller friendly (there are stairs). There's also Robert T. Palmer Drive, which has sidewalks and would be doable with a stroller.

2. The UP West line has fewer trains than the BNSF line. There are a good number of trains, but it's not something that has ever been an issue for me. I didn't navigate the area on foot, with a stroller alone much. If I had the stroller, I was usually with my husband, so I had help getting it up and down the stairs.

3. I can't speak to those schools specifically, but at Emerson it's a slow process. Emerson doesn't have any bussing so it's just parents in cars or on foot. There's definitely time to socialize from what I understand.

4. There's a Fitness Formula Club in downtown Elmhurst that has childcare. There's also Courts Plus, which is the gym run through the park district. They also have childcare, I think. I think the YMCA does as well.

Despite what other people have said, Elmhurst is a very walkable town if you live in the downtown core. I could do everything I need to do on a regular basis without a car. By that I mean I can walk to the library, restaurants, bars, the bank, the grocery store, and there are retail stores as well. I was even able to drop my daughter off at her daycare on my bike and did that for a few years.

One of the worst things about Elmhurst if you have small kids is that there are not many daycare options. I don't know if that's an issue for you but if you need daycare, especially for a child under 2 years old, get on the wait lists now.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,943 times
All -- thank you SO much for these insights! We are looking most closely at Elmhurst and Downer's Grove and will continue to spend time in both towns. I do have one other question, which relates to FLOODING.

To what extent is this an issue? The real-estate app Redfin now displays a "Flood Score" which is scaring me a bit. Growing up, our basement in Michigan flooded probably 1x / year so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

Thanks so much
Allison

Old 03-01-2022, 10:36 AM

748 posts, read 832,041 times
Quote:
All -- thank you SO much for these insights! We are looking most closely at Elmhurst and Downer's Grove and will continue to spend time in both towns. I do have one other question, which relates to FLOODING.

To what extent is this an issue? The real-estate app Redfin now displays a "Flood Score" which is scaring me a bit. Growing up, our basement in Michigan flooded probably 1x / year so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

Thanks so much
Allison
This is going to be an issue anywhere that you look. The best thing you can do is to find areas where the runoff will be mitigated. Looking at the individual properties is really the only way to figure out if one house is going to have a problem. However, at least for DG (and probably Elmhurst) there are flood maps that show if something is in a FEMA flood zone. Look at those (for DG you can find info here Floodplain & LPDAs | Village of Downers Grove).

The VoDG has lately done a LOT with stormwater mitigation. Every new build and any remodel that moves a wall has to install tens of thousands of dollars of mitigation. It's an issue, but at least one that is being looked at.

A sump pump and french drain should mitigate most issues, just get a good inspector!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs