Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 37,249 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to move to Naperville, and I have a question about the area west of 59 road.

I found nice properties around Montgomery rd and Elgin Joliet railroad.
When I see the MLS listing, the address of these properties are Naperville, but many maps shows this area as Aurora.

I don't know why this overlapping is happen.
Could you guys make me understand clearly about this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
you will really need to review actual boundary maps of the area. You cannot tell when something is just the address because often mailing addresses are different. There is no other way to determine which community the home is actually in. Also, be aware that school district boundaries have no rhyme or reason! they overlap horribly. good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks sgresident,

I have kind of accurate boundary map and it show that area I'm talking about is a part of Aurora.
So, do you mean this area is not Napervill even though its mailing address is Naperville?

Anybody knows why this discrepancy happen?
Thanks.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,929 times
There are many part of Naperville that are "serviced" by Aurora and are in District 204 schools (Aurora, Naperville, Plainfield and Bolingbrook). By servicing I mean they use Aurora libraries, Aurora fire/police dept. , the streets are plowed by the City of Aurora and they receive Aurora water. Many developments built in the late 80's/early 90's paid to have a Naperville address but are really in Aurora.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Respectfully, if you have a home that is paying taxes to Aurora for fire,police, water, streets, 204 schools it is not IN Naperville -- it is IN Aurora! I am quite sure that the developer bought that land BECAUSE it had a Naperville mailin address back when it was vacant, then Aurora annexed it and the developer asked to keep the mailing address..

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,929 times
Does anyone else remember when the Mayor of Aurora shut off the water to the neighborhoods along 59 that said they were not Aurora but Naperville. He did this to prove his point. These places are run by Aurora but simply have a Naperville address and they claim to have no ties to Aurora. This was a very long time ago, I believe it was White Eagle. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. It also kills me when residents in District 204 call it a Naperville District when it services Bolingbrook, Aurora and Plainfield as well but they always leave them out Also, does anyone remember when the development on 55 was being built (Plainfield address I believe) and the the giant sign along the interstate read "Just 10 minutes to Naperville". I would always crack up because it might be 10 minutes to the most southern point of Naperville in no traffic at 9pm. To get to the heart of downtown Naperville you are looking at about 45 minutes

Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks members,
I need to look closer to this area before decide to buy home.
Things I'm concerning is tax, school, benificiary as a residence, home value and so on...
If those things in this area is not same as naperville, then I have to look REAL naperville area.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
Does anyone else remember when the Mayor of Aurora shut off the water to the neighborhoods along 59 that said they were not Aurora but Naperville. He did this to prove his point. These places are run by Aurora but simply have a Naperville address and they claim to have no ties to Aurora. This was a very long time ago, I believe it was White Eagle. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. It also kills me when residents in District 204 call it a Naperville District when it services Bolingbrook, Aurora and Plainfield as well but they always leave them out Also, does anyone remember when the development on 55 was being built (Plainfield address I believe) and the the giant sign along the interstate read "Just 10 minutes to Naperville". I would always crack up because it might be 10 minutes to the most southern point of Naperville in no traffic at 9pm. To get to the heart of downtown Naperville you are looking at about 45 minutes
He also went into these subdivisions and put Welcome to Aurora signs.
People like to say they live in Naperville, but you have to pay to play.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM

137 posts, read 549,529 times
When purchasing a home in this area or any other area for that matter, it would be prudent to discover your township, your county and which town your property is actually located in. For example a home could be located in Naperville, in Wheatland township, in Will County. These are all different servicing and taxing bodies. School district is a whole separate issue. There are several communities that are serviced by the Naperville 203 and Indian Praiei 204 school districts - Aurora, Bolingboork, Woodridge, Lisle.

In Naperville you could feasibly be in Wheatland, Lisle, or Naperville townships, and you would most likely be in DuPage or Will County. At this point I don't think that we reach far enough northwest to be part of Kane county, yet there are sections of Aurora that attend 204 schools that are part of Kane.

Depending on if the home is "incorporated" meaning that services are provided by the city or "unincorporated" meaning services are provided by the county or privately there may or may not be tax advantages.

There are wonderful communities in all of these areas, it just depends on what you're looking for and what is most important to the way you live your life. Is it avoiding traffic? prestige? schools? access to transportation? the size of the home or the size of the lot? There truly is something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs