U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 11:11 AM

29 posts, read 45,494 times

Advertisements

I live in the Milwaukee area and considered moving to Vernon Hills since it's in close proximity to my work location. The appt and house prices are in line to what I can afford and close to adjacent communities in the area. I also like communities that have a prominent downtown with restaurants and shopping. Since downtown Libertyville is only a few miles from Vernon Hills, it seems like the best of both worlds. Is it common and/acceptable for people to live in communities outside of another to take advantage of the downtown of another. In other words, are a good percent of shoppers and restaurant goers in Libertyville also from Vernon Hills and surrounding area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 11:29 AM

4,092 posts, read 2,308,547 times
crestfire890, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

I also live in Milwaukee, and frequent Libertyville often. That, and Vernon Hills are great places as you know!

I hope it all works out for you!

Old 08-17-2022, 02:04 PM

29 posts, read 45,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
crestfire890, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

I also live in Milwaukee, and frequent Libertyville often. That, and Vernon Hills are great places as you know!

I hope it all works out for you!
Thanks a bunch. Have you visited the downtown in Libertyville? Let me know your thoughts.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,754,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfire890 View Post
Is it common and/acceptable for people to live in communities outside of another to take advantage of the downtown of another. In other words, are a good percent of shoppers and restaurant goers in Libertyville also from Vernon Hills and surrounding area?
Absolutely!

Old 08-17-2022, 04:28 PM

crestfire890, absolutely.

In fact, a buddy of mine from Milwaukee drove down with me yesterday. We parked downtown Libertyville, just west of the library, and rode bikes from there to Highwood (which I call Libertyville's brother-like city).

Old 08-18-2022, 09:45 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,765 posts, read 1,812,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfire890 View Post
I live in the Milwaukee area and considered moving to Vernon Hills since it's in close proximity to my work location. The appt and house prices are in line to what I can afford and close to adjacent communities in the area. I also like communities that have a prominent downtown with restaurants and shopping. Since downtown Libertyville is only a few miles from Vernon Hills, it seems like the best of both worlds. Is it common and/acceptable for people to live in communities outside of another to take advantage of the downtown of another. In other words, are a good percent of shoppers and restaurant goers in Libertyville also from Vernon Hills and surrounding area?
Of course it is. I'm assuming you're looking at the apartments around Melody Farm and across from there by the movie theater? Lots of restaurants and shopping around there as well....plus downtown Libertyville is five-to-seven minutes away.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:01 PM

2,961 posts, read 2,785,658 times
Quote:
crestfire890, absolutely.

In fact, a buddy of mine from Milwaukee drove down with me yesterday. We parked downtown Libertyville, just west of the library, and rode bikes from there to Highwood (which I call Libertyville's brother-like city).
While these 2 aren't as big as Libertyville and Highwood, Mundelein and Grayslake have shades of charm with their downtowns as well. And if the security isn't annoying with you(they unnecessarily were to me once, despite that I saw their website(which I studied, before visiting) CLEARLY showed walking around St. Mary of the Woods' campus was allowed during daytime hours as long as you didn't walk into indicated off limit areas, and I clearly wasn't in one of those few off limit areas), St. Mary of the Woods is fun to walk around. That is in Mundelein, btw. I also like how there is an east to west bike trail(which I think was built over a former freight railroad line), connecting Lake Bluff, Libertyville, and Mundelein.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:03 AM

SonySegaTendo617, good morning!

I have seen some very nice towns in my visits to lovely Lake County! I came down last night for a dinner at the Shanty in Wadsworth, and then a drive to Highwood. I had a great time, but boy, did I need the coffee this morning before work!!!

I AM a fan of Libertyville's neighbor, Mundelein. I have taken my kids there a few times to roller skate, since there are not that many rolling skate rinks around (even though we do have 1 or 2 in my Milwaukee area).

Also, I dig that there are a lot of Mexican establishments in Mundelein.

I have not been to Grays Lake in some years. A vendor I used for my Tae Kwon Do business had started in Round Lake Beach, and then moved to Grays Lake. I no longer use them, however. So I only went there a couple of times, and I do not even remember if I saw their downtown.

Thank you for sharing, SonySegaTendo617!

Old 08-19-2022, 10:57 AM

SonySegaTendo617, HEY!

I just checked the Lake County Schedule of Events.

And GRAYS LAKE DAYS is going on today and tomorrow!!

Old 08-20-2022, 10:59 PM

2,961 posts, read 2,785,658 times
Quote:
SonySegaTendo617, HEY!

I just checked the Lake County Schedule of Events.

And GRAYS LAKE DAYS is going on today and tomorrow!!
Too busy to make that fest, but I hope that fest goes well for those who can make that up in Grayslake. Makes me wonder, is Light the Lamp Brewing still open in Grayslake? I remember when I last visited there, they were in the process of building a new location a few blocks away. I'm pretty sure their new location has opened, since the last time I was up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs