Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM

45 posts, read 151,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am not a fan of Matteson. I have been to the Holiday Inn near I-57 and Route 30 for several business meetings, most recently 6 months ago, not exactly my idea of a great area. More like an area that was okay to even good 10 years ago but not getting any better.
Uh,... not exactly your idea of a great area??? I love that area, it's my favorite place to go to in the south suburbs. I even go out of my way to shop there on a regular basis despite living to closer stores in Orland Park. I always shop at the Walmart, Menards, and Borders there, and I also eat there a lot. It's aslo a great place for those who enjoy interracial dating to meet singles of the other race in a mixed environment. I also went to the same Holiday Inn you went to for a Tattoo convention and a close friend's bachelor party. Very nice hotel, I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Take Matteson for what it's worth. It's a very nice town with great diversity and I would not hesitate at all to raise children there. In fact, I just went to Matteson today and bought stuff at Sports Authority and got lunch at Panera Bread. I plan on going to that Panera Bread again cause there's a HOT girl named Katherine there.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Matteson is going down the crapper with a bullet.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
Regarding The Toys R Us is a disaster and the Menards can't keep cooper in stock due to thefts - the repeatedly catch people throwing cooper pipes over the back wall trying to steal them. The Home Depot had a few brand new lawn mower tractors (the big ones) stolen right off the loading dock - this is not an isolated incident and theft is very high there.
Actually, I work for Menards, but in another town. I've been working in the electrical department for almost 4 years now and I know for a fact that copper theft is a problem at ALL Menards. I work at a Menards in a neighborhood that is 99% white, and we had $5,000 worth of copper wire stolen overnight from the outside yard somehow. In my Menard's town, all the criminals are the Polish immigrants.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
How the Hell is a mobile home park, regardless of how nice it is maintained, middle class?

Your definition of middle class and mine must differ.

I would say those living in modular homes are one step above those living in mobile homes and would classify them as lower middle class at best, though probably working poor to working class would describe them better.
Dude, please. Just because someone lives in a mobile home doesn't mean they're poor or low class. There's people out there with thousands or millions of dollars to their name that still chose to live a simple life in a small mobile home. You need to stop equating the size of people's homes with what class in society they are, because that's not always correct. Besides, it's usually the people living in really expensive homes that are losing their homes to foreclosures, I look down on those foolish people more than people who make the wise decision of living in smaller homes with what they can afford.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Matteson is going down the crapper with a bullet.
...And what makes you draw that conclusion?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideWhiteTrash View Post
...And what makes you draw that conclusion?
From my experiences in Matteson over the last 20 years?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
From my experiences in Matteson over the last 20 years?
Yea, but you can't just disregard the entire town just because of some experiences in certain parts of that town. That would be like saying the city of Chicago is going down the drain just because of the escalating gang violence in parts of the south side. Catch my drift?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default SouthSideWhiteTrash

You make an interesting point about mobile homes losing less equity than those living in more expensive houses.

I grew up in southern Indiana, and know many people who still live in mobile homes. In my experience, they are generally lower class economically. Most people would much prefer a stick built home to a mobile home or even modular (though some choose modular as it is more affordable).

I have been to Matteson and over the past 5 years I have seen it decline, from the crowds at Olive Garden and the Holiday Inn. It is not an area I would look to move into anytime soon. It is kinda like a Schaumburg wannabe that never was. Where I am from in Indiana we see the same things on the east and west sides of Indianapolis, where areas that were fine in the 80s and 90s have become stagnant with no major new developments and slowly digress. I see this happening in Matteson. It is a slow decline which will take years to fully manifest but don't kid yourselves it is happening.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
How many years, Humboldt?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 PM

274 posts, read 709,342 times
I agree with southsidewhitetrash, Matteson is a nice town. The only bad part might be the Lincoln Mall thanks to Orland Square and River Oaks taking all the stores from it in their 1995 makeover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs