U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,556 times
Default Argonne Area Housing

Hey All

I am moving from Ann Arbor - to the Argonne, for an intern in the Argonne Lab in a week. I have been trying craigslist to find housing, but I dont even know what places to search for if I want temp housing for 2 months in Argonne

I have lived in grad student housing for a long time, so I dont need much to get by, but proximity is the criteria, which is closest (and preferably cheap) if am gonna be working in Argonne ....?

where would I search - craigslist gives me an option of these places in Illinois - carbondale, chicago, decatur, peoria, bloomington, urbana, quad cities, rockford, springfield

Any thoughts on housing - near the Argonne lab would be so helpful and well appreciated

Looking forward to your response - thanks !

Deepak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 25 days ago)

5,381 posts, read 9,452,178 times
Argonne is closest to Chicago. Surrounding areas are Darien, Willowbrook, Lemont, Hinsdale as well as others.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM

20,801 posts, read 32,619,683 times
Westmont will be closest in terms of "incorporated places". The Hinsdale mailing addess applies to places right across Cass Ave/91st St from the Lab, but that is quirk of the old unincorporated areas.

Look for apartment close to I-55/Stevenson Expwy and Cass Ave. If you are south of 75th street you can practically bicycle to the Lab. You can look east to the area around Rt 83, but the apartment quality is better west...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM

71 posts, read 172,449 times
I know someone works at Argonne and lives in Woodridge. It's very suburban, close to Argonne, and housing is cheaper.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

17 posts, read 38,155 times
Woodridge is a great start. Darien is very nice too but much more expensive.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 19,486 times
Woodridge is definately the closest. You should be able to find something reasonable to rent there or Lemont.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 23,494 times
Woodridge and Westmont both are great choices if you are working at the lab and looking for affordable housing that is close.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM

21 posts, read 38,712 times
Communities at Ascot Glen is pretty nice. It's located in Willowbrook, and is fairly close.

I live right down the street from Argonne, and if you would like, I could drive it let you know exactly how far it is.

I can't imagine it being further than 4-5 miles away...maybe less.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Westmont will be closest in terms of "incorporated places". The Hinsdale mailing addess applies to places right across Cass Ave/91st St from the Lab, but that is quirk of the old unincorporated areas.

Look for apartment close to I-55/Stevenson Expwy and Cass Ave. If you are south of 75th street you can practically bicycle to the Lab. You can look east to the area around Rt 83, but the apartment quality is better west...
Hi. I am a undergrad who is going to work in Argonne this summer for ten weeks with a grad student. We are looking for apartments in walkable distance. Would you please recommend us some places to look at? Thanks a lot! We are not driving so walkable or bike-able distance will be great.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM

31 posts, read 15,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaglandRon View Post
Woodridge and Westmont both are great choices if you are working at the lab and looking for affordable housing that is close.
Both of these areas have become quite ghetto. I'd look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs