Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM

242 posts, read 758,518 times

Advertisements

[quote=mia220;4133375]Spanish people are from Spain. The overwhelming majority of the Spanish speaking residents in Chicago are not Spanish. They tend to come from Latin America and many were even born in the United States.

haha technically you're correct, but in this day and age 'spanish' refers mostly to people who are mexican, cuban, dominican, puerto rican, etc. even though they're 'hispanic'. by the way, what hispanic race has majorite in the chicago area? also, do a lot of cubans live in chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
[quote=mike3512;4138760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia220 View Post
Spanish people are from Spain. The overwhelming majority of the Spanish speaking residents in Chicago are not Spanish. They tend to come from Latin America and many were even born in the United States.

haha technically you're correct, but in this day and age 'spanish' refers mostly to people who are mexican, cuban, dominican, puerto rican, etc. even though they're 'hispanic'. by the way, what hispanic race has majorite in the chicago area? also, do a lot of cubans live in chicago?
Mexicans dominate the Hispanic scene here. And yes, there are some Cubans, but not in the numbers you'd find in Miami. Lots of Puerto Ricans and Guatemalans here, as well as Colombians. Ive met some Brazilians as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Mike -- glad you liked Itasca. it's a great little town ... once you live here... it's hard to leave, but eventually the high taxes will push you out... but they are pretty high in most chicago burbs.

we really love it here.. DH and I were raised here , and we've raised our kids here... sad thing is, our kids will never be able to afford this town now... unless the housing really comes back into 'focus'.

those other villages on the North Shore, Winnetka, Evanston.... most are very high price tags , and yes quite established ... so you have the huge trees, etc ... where out here you don't - as in the newer subdivisions.

If you did not make it down town... you really missed a nice treat, but you can only see so much in so many days. It's a great city, with tons to do.

as for Midway [the airport we fly out of] it's a pretty new airport. I can't recall exactly when it was re-done, but it was pretty much moved to the other side of Cicero. DH has been working out of Midway since `92, so i've seen many changes, all for the better.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

OH -- did you end up using the Ez Pass in the rental car? if so, how'd that work out?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Ecudaor, Costa Rica, Argentina -- Chicago has all kinds of links to Central & South America. Certainly numbers are MUCH smaller than Mexico, but just like the immigrants from Eastern Europe decades ago there are all good reason to come...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM

[quote=Steve-o;4139314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post

Mexicans dominate the Hispanic scene here. And yes, there are some Cubans, but not in the numbers you'd find in Miami. Lots of Puerto Ricans and Guatemalans here, as well as Colombians. Ive met some Brazilians as well.

yeha i didn't expect too any cubans, but i thought mexicans are probabyl the majority. on cicero, i saw a lot of mexican women walking.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Mike -- glad you liked Itasca. it's a great little town ... once you live here... it's hard to leave, but eventually the high taxes will push you out... but they are pretty high in most chicago burbs.

we really love it here.. DH and I were raised here , and we've raised our kids here... sad thing is, our kids will never be able to afford this town now... unless the housing really comes back into 'focus'.

those other villages on the North Shore, Winnetka, Evanston.... most are very high price tags , and yes quite established ... so you have the huge trees, etc ... where out here you don't - as in the newer subdivisions.

If you did not make it down town... you really missed a nice treat, but you can only see so much in so many days. It's a great city, with tons to do.

as for Midway [the airport we fly out of] it's a pretty new airport. I can't recall exactly when it was re-done, but it was pretty much moved to the other side of Cicero. DH has been working out of Midway since `92, so i've seen many changes, all for the better.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

OH -- did you end up using the Ez Pass in the rental car? if so, how'd that work out?

yes i used the ezpass but since u guys have open road tolling i wasnt able to see if it worked. well once we went through a regular toll, and it said 'thank you' on the screen, so i think it read. and itasca looked so nice. but if i were to live in chicago...it wud have to be glenview, norhtbrook, evanston, winnetka. i really can't stand all those new developments, and i really wasn't epxecting as many as i saw.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM

71 posts, read 269,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
haha technically you're correct, but in this day and age 'spanish' refers mostly to people who are mexican, cuban, dominican, puerto rican, etc.
No, it doesn't.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM

365 posts, read 1,252,812 times
[quote=mike3512;4138760]
Quote:
...by the way, what hispanic race has majorite in the chicago area? also, do a lot of cubans live in chicago?
Chicago is approximately 30% Hispanic, the third largest population of Hispanics in any US city, just behind NYC and LA. More than 530,000 of them are Mexican-Americans.

http://www.luc.edu/orgs/mosaic2006/Mosaic/Laurenmosaic/trend%20pages/knight%20trend%20page.html (broken link)

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 74,795 times
Quote:
Spanish people are from Spain. The overwhelming majority of the Spanish speaking residents in Chicago are not Spanish. They tend to come from Latin America and many were even born in the United States.

I speak English, but I'm not English.
Most people understood the point. Your desire for language precision is only exceeded by your willingness to bang out useless posts. Thanks for adding value, Captain Irrelevant.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,848,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Ecudaor, Costa Rica, Argentina -- Chicago has all kinds of links to Central & South America. Certainly numbers are MUCH smaller than Mexico, but just like the immigrants from Eastern Europe decades ago there are all good reason to come...
My husband is Costa Rican and we will be moving to Chicago in exactly 2 weeks! We once lived there for 4 months and were surprised that there was such a large Costa Rican population in Chicago. There's even a Costa Rican restaurant. Chicago also has a very large Salvadorean population, similar to Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs