Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 05:42 AM

5 posts, read 21,059 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on preferences between these two communities for a single young professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
I'm not too familiar with the Northern suburbs, but would imagine that Vernon Hills would be a much better bet than Gurnee. Besides asking which of the two towns is better than the other in this regard, you may want to ask first if either town is the right place for a person like yourself. I'm not sure how lively the singles scene is in either place.e They're both quite far from the city proper.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
You might also look for something in Libertyville, which is between the two towns. Gurnee has a very large very non-localish mall and associated strip centers, but some of the housing east, near the 'old' town center are much more appealing to singles, as are a few areas to the SW.

Vernon Hills is in general a nicer town, but for singles it cannot compare to Libertyville. Vernon Hills has lots of strip malls and boring enclosed mall, while Libertyville has a much more vibrant core downtown with some nicer places to hang out, have a beer or glass of wine.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Six of one. Half-dozen of the other. Move to whichever has the house you like the most.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
While I sorta do agree with what Drover is saying, I did live in Libertyville and it IS a different experience than living in Gurnee or Vernon Hills, where I had friends live and we would 'compare notes' on a variety of things.
Just as there are promoters of various Chicago neighborhoods the ability to walk to a spot to grab a sandwich and a beer after work may tip things toward Libertyville. Vernon Hills is pretty much 100% drive everywhere. Most of Gurnee is that way too. Even little things like getting to know your postman is something that you can do in the portions of Libertyville is a nice plus for the sections of town where they still CARRY mail in a big pouch instead having faceless deliveries to the rural mailbox or the mystery of large apartment complexes where everything is locked away.

Ultimately the choice is probably over where your dollar goes the furthest/what is a priority to you, but there are real differences.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Six of one. Half-dozen of the other. Move to whichever has the house you like the most.
I concur!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 PM

177 posts, read 543,806 times
I lived in Gurnee for a short while...

if you're young, stay the hell away from there..

SNOOOOOOOOZE FEST

I second libertyville

Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 21,059 times
Default vernon hills versus gurnee

Thanks for the input.....I will be working in Waukegan/North Chicago so vernon hills/gurnee/libertyville seemed most realistic. I thought about Lake Bluff too.....

Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,627 times
MHO...

I would find something near the Metra lines because I'd guess that you'll probably want to go to Chicago more often than not. Gurnee is not walkable to any Metra and Vernon Hills has the North Central Metra which doesn't run that often.

Libertyville is good because the Milwaukee North runs all week early and late into Union Station and it actually has a downtown with the Metra stop and houses/apts close by with things to do (Starbucks, Mickey Finn's, Liberty Theatre, etc.) without requiring driving.

If you're working around Waukegan/N. Chicago, you could also find something along the Metra Union Pacific line which runs as often as the Milwaukee North to Chicago and has multiple North Side stops going into Ogilvie. It (may) also be walkable to your work site which you could even live in the city if you wanted and take the train. If you like Lake Bluff, then I'd say go for that (don't know much about LB), but anything along the North Shore is obviously $$$$.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,470 times
Libertyville is ok but is extremely congested in the downtown area. Also, people are purchasing homes for 400k which are really tear down candidates if located in Deerfield, so be careful about paying to much to live in Libertyville. (By the way, who gives a rip about how your mail is delivered?)

Ok Vernon Hills has more upscale retail but the housing area seems to be an after thought. There really is no feel of community in VH. Gurnee has more of a community feel with an actual village center, des plaines river trail system, excellent parks from the park district and the warren township center park. In Gurnee you can get relatively newer construction homes at more reasonable prices. I think the only sacrafice in Gurnee is dealing with all the tourists.....but yet those tourists generate enough tax revenue to off set your property tax and not have to pay for a vehicle sticker.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 06-19-2008 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs