Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,843,051 times

Advertisements

I love this place and went there many times while growing up. We took our three year old son last year, and while he enjoyed the little Wiggles playland and some of the kiddie rides didn't have too many lines, it was boiling hot and almost impossible to get on any rides. The water park was also great fun, but the lines were awful. I was dying to ride the Superman ride but the line was like 4 hours long. We planned to ride it at the end of the day when there were less people and of course it broke down and they shut it as soon as we got in the line.

What are your favorite new rides/new attractions? Any Great America stories? Remember classics like Z-Force and Tidal Wave or when the American Eagle went backwards for one summer? I would love to back again this year, but definitely not on the weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM

545 posts, read 2,038,427 times
I live close to 6 Flags in Gurnee. Havent been in years. They have a nice fireworks display at 4 th of July .

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 PM

863 posts, read 2,777,420 times
My mom started taking us once a year when the first place opened in 1976, so I've got too many memories to count. When I got old enough to drive and pay for my own tickets I started going 2-3 times a year. I've loved rollercoasters since my mom took me on one at Kings Island in Cincinnati when I was 3.

I'll never forget the year that I rode the Tidal Wave 7 times in a row. I remember when the Demon replaced Turn of the Century. I remember when the Eagle was built in 1981 and waiting almost three hours for my first ride. I could go on and on.

Going to Great America was one of the highlights of my horrible youth and holds a special place in my heart next to Jay's Potato Chips. I've only been once in the past 5 years. It's changed so much and I don't enjoy it like I used to. I prefer to make the trip to Cedar Point or Kings Island instead.

Anyone remember the Edge and the four boys who got hurt in that accident? How about the piece of crap ride that was Rolling Thunder?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 31,377 times
I worked there and ever since the place isn't the same...not enjoyable for me, some like it, I didn't...I like some of the rides, Batman is my fav I think, but i haven't been there in a while, the lines are just too long for me now, I guess i need more patience.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,176,858 times
My fave was the Iron Wolf. RIP, Mr. Wolf. RIP.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,060,620 times
viper and raging bull

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM

863 posts, read 2,777,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My fave was the Iron Wolf. RIP, Mr. Wolf. RIP.
That was a cool coaster. Although, it had gotten to be such a rough ride. It was time for its passing. Is Dark Knight in that space now?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,454,863 times
I'm from Kentucky originally so my memories of theme parks all go to King's Island, one of the coolest places I have been to. Unfortunately, Six Flags Great America isn't as great.

However, they have some cool rides like the Raging Bull that are awesome. Bat Man is also a lot of fun. Superman is fun but a little overrated and the line is usually too long. I have a season pass, and we go on weekdays and not weekends because on weekdays you can usually ride four or five of the major roller coasters before it actually starts to get packed, and even then it doesn't really ever get too packed.

I haven't been to the water park yet but am excited to go to it in two weeks.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM

725 posts, read 1,843,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
My mom started taking us once a year when the first place opened in 1976, so I've got too many memories to count. When I got old enough to drive and pay for my own tickets I started going 2-3 times a year. I've loved rollercoasters since my mom took me on one at Kings Island in Cincinnati when I was 3.

I'll never forget the year that I rode the Tidal Wave 7 times in a row. I remember when the Demon replaced Turn of the Century. I remember when the Eagle was built in 1981 and waiting almost three hours for my first ride. I could go on and on.

Going to Great America was one of the highlights of my horrible youth and holds a special place in my heart next to Jay's Potato Chips. I've only been once in the past 5 years. It's changed so much and I don't enjoy it like I used to. I prefer to make the trip to Cedar Point or Kings Island instead.

Anyone remember the Edge and the four boys who got hurt in that accident? How about the piece of crap ride that was Rolling Thunder?
Rolling thunder sucked! I wasn't sad to see that one go. I feel the same way as you, though. I have gone since I was a baby. My first upside down roller coaster was the Demon, and I still love the Whizzer. I remember the Edge accident, and if I am correct, they are going to shut down The Plunge as well since a girl's feet were severed on a similar ride in another park.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,302,463 times
I agree with the kings island. We went to cincinnati one year and went up to there. Awesome park. We also want to go to cedar point.

Great america was fun, went there lots when I was a teen. Now am bringing my kids there and they are just big enough to ride the coasters. My favorite "willard's whizzer".
GA has some pretty good shows.

I also like the six flags in st. louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs