U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 14,647 times

Advertisements

Jenne03,
I recommend Riverside IL. Riverside is 14 miles from the Loop. The Burlington Northern commuter train stops in Riverside. Both the public and Catholic K - 8schools are excellent. Riverside-Brookfield High School is rated in the top 10 in the state. Due to the town's designer, Frederick Law Olmsted, the town is designed like a park and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The variety of architecture is great; ther are a number of Frank LLoyd Wright homes in town. The business district is in the midst of some positive redevelopment. I have lived there as both an child and an adult, so I'm prejudiced, but I promise that Riverside is worth the visit.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 28,930 times
There are so many beautiful areas around Chicago; it just depends on what you're looking for in a property. Prospect Heights is very nice and you can get some pretty large lots. Arlington Heights is a good solid sub urban "city" with a really nice renovateddowntown area. Palatine, where I live, has tried to emulate the Arlington Heights model, but missed the mark, IMO.

We live in an unincorporated part of Palatine, which suits us fine because taxes are lower and we get terrific services from the county. If we had to live in another town in this area, we would look at Hoffman Estates, where there are some really large and beautiful properties. They're not McMansions -- just really nice mature neighborhoods with nice homes and large yards. I'm born and bred in the Chicago area and I am very proud of it. We're relocating to Kansas City early next year and it will kill me to leave this area.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 37,484 times
Default burbs

hey magpies

my house was built in the 1940's and it is a piece of crud. Are new homes really that poorly built? you sould like you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 14,631 times
Hello. one of the best places to live outside of chicago would be Schaumburg. You have everything you need here. Huge mall with BIG name stores, great restaurants, great entertainment, close to expressways, 30 minutes to downtown OR easy access to trains. Great schools, with various income level families. That is one place I would consider.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 109,159 times
Any suburbs besides the south suburbs and NW Indiana. It's way too ghetto and white trashy. I think all the pollution from all the steel factories in Gary and the surrounding areas affect the people that live around there. They seem zombie-like.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 22,240 times
I lived in Naperville for a few years and I miss it... I REALLY miss it. I personally think it is the BEST community in the United States. You can't beat their schools, library, downtown, shopping, parks, city services, etc. etc. etc. Their Riverwalk is first class and they have been successful in maintaining a small town feel despite massive population growth.

Plus, if you commute downtown, there are express trains that run out of the Naperville/Aurora area that get you downtown in 40 minutes. The only downside is that Naperville has become such a trendy place that the traffic has gotten significantly worse over the past few years. There aren't express trains, the last time I checked, coming out of the northwest and north suburbs.

As far as home prices go... they are honestly not that bad in Naperville. I think the home prices in the north shore and closer to the city are actually worse.

In general, there are great Chicago suburbs west, northwest, and north of the city... other examples include St. Charles, Geneva, Arlington Heights, Vernon Hills, Algonquin, and Buffalo Grove. Hopefully, you are able to afford, live in, and enjoy these great areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampWSox05 View Post
Any suburbs besides the south suburbs and NW Indiana. It's way too ghetto and white trashy. I think all the pollution from all the steel factories in Gary and the surrounding areas affect the people that live around there. They seem zombie-like.
I would also like to add that the areas WAY northwest of the city (where a lot of suburbanites are moving to) is the same way... specifically Belvidere and Rockford. There is a reason why you can get a 2,000 square foot house out there for less than $200,000... because the area has no character and completely blue collar. A job moved me out to this area a few years ago... and I hate it! I would be glad to accept less of a house to move back closer to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillingG View Post
hi!

I am thinking about moving my family to the Chicago area (from New England) and i fell in love with Geneva--but the only problem is, it's more than an hour's commute from Chicago and trains don't even run frequently. SO,i need something closer to chicago--is there a town just like quaint Geneva but closer to Chicago? Thanks so much!

-TillingG

I like the "LaGrange" communities which are near I-294, west of the city. Also, I would recommend some of the northwest suburbs like Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove. Perhaps you could also consider some of the north suburbs like Deerfield and Northbrook if they fit within your budget. I guess it depends on what type of house you are looking for.

As I mentioned in a prevous post, you may want to set your sights near the Metra Stations in Naperville/Aurora that can take you downtown in 40 minutes.

Last edited by Marka; 10-11-2006 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 14,627 times
Default Naperville, Schaumburg two of the worst places

White bred, upper class, character-less, candy cutter track housing and condo, sprawling, obnoxious chain store, chain restaurant, SUV driving, MCMansion, corporate clones. I really, really, hate Schaumburg and Naperville. But I'm a city guy and most Cook County Chicago suburbs are an extension of chicago itself. That being said, neither of the aforementioned places are representative of chicago. The chicago metro area (especially cook county) is very diverse, albeit crime is a problem in some areas, and this is the birthplace of Gangsterism (is that a word?), but you're crime risk is only as high as the concocted ball of fear in your head, and if you're that scared you probably belong in one of the two above places AND you probably buy into everything our current President perpetuates and says since FEAR is his main weapon. Move to the city or an inner-ring (cook county) suburb where you get a taste of city life through the people, housing, and infrastructure. Forget about these bedroom, cookie-cutter communities. THey DO NOT AND WILL NEVER BE REPRESENTATIVE OF CHICAGO. People that live in Schaumburg and naperville lack character and personality just like their towns. They're like the poor man's agrestic for those of you who watch the show weeds

Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 28,324 times
I would suggest Northern suburbs like Northbrook, Evanston, Skokie, & Lincolnwood. I grew up in Skokie and can attest to the safety of the neighborhood . All are great suburbs 25-30 minutes away and fantastic schools. The new Chicago Magazine September issue has a list of the best schools in Chicago and suburbs based on ACT & SAT test scores and they had several schools in Northbrook. I was really impressed.
Margaret
Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Yes I would try Evanston. It is a fabulous community with lots of diversity but with the small town feel. And it's only 25 minutes form downtown. Again it all depends on how much house you can afford. Good luck

Last edited by Marka; 10-13-2006 at 02:05 AM..

Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 AM

611 posts, read 1,070,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillingG View Post
hi!

I am thinking about moving my family to the Chicago area (from New England) and i fell in love with Geneva--but the only problem is, it's more than an hour's commute from Chicago and trains don't even run frequently. SO,i need something closer to chicago--is there a town just like quaint Geneva but closer to Chicago? Thanks so much!

-TillingG
i'd say try Elmhurst or Glen Ellyn out, if you're looking for something closer(though I realize this is on the same Metra line as Geneva, but I personally don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, especially since certain Metra lines have weekday-only service!). though i've only been to Elmhurst, everything I've read about Glen Ellyn looks like it'd be a very nice and interesting town to live in, and there's a lot of shopping in the downtown area(hope to eventually make a trip out to there). Elmhurst is quite a cool town, and has a very, very nice, and vibrant downtown. plus it has a very nice park system, and a nice college in town. only thing i'd probably guess is housing prices might be somewhat high, though i'm not sure, as i'm unfamiliar with housing prices in that part of Chicagoland(i'd probably guess Elmhurst is slightly cheaper than Glen Ellyn). plus, Elmhurst has the advantage of more Metra trains stopping in that town than other towns do along the UP-West line that are often bypassed by express trains, as it has among the higher usage levels of any station along that line.

if you want something even closer to Chicago, i'd say try Oak Park or River Forest out. it also has a very vibrant downtown and business strip(Lake St.), not to mention you also have the option of taking the CTA Green Line, in addition to Metra trains. and don't listen to anyone who says Oak Park is iffy or unsafe, out of all the times i've been there, i've never felt unsafe, even in the east part of town(though i would definately recommend not venturing east of Austin into the city). and for one last thing about OP, at least its actually a very racially integrated suburb, unlike say, Evanston(though nice, it sadly still has this problem).

as a long-time lurker who's never registered until now, i'm amazed at the bad raps that certain suburbs seem to get on these boards! (especially of Berwyn, which i've been in many times, and've never felt unsafe) in fact, i'll add its actually had an increase in housing sales in the last few years, due to spillover from people looking to live in the near west suburbs and/or former OP or River Forest residents who were priced out of there. not to mention its also served by Metra's BNSF line, and also near shopping areas, a la Oak Park. i'll end my post here.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,451,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I understand having a negative attitude about where you live..I could say the same thing regarding maryland..since i am not happy here...but if I have to move to chicago ...i have too.. It doesn't help me to have someone tell me how horrible it is..there has to be some redeeming qualities...I need advice to the best areas to move. Unfortunately telling me to stay away and live 1000 miles from some place..doesn't help.
Just another perspective, don't live there or haven't, but have visited quite often, and personally I think Chicago is a WONDERFUL city. The downtown is unbelievable! Don't know if you've ever been to or know anything but Atlanta, but using it as a measuring stick, Chicago is a 1000 times better than ATL, so I don't think you'll go wrong w/your move to Chi-Town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs