Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,697 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently got a job in Chicago Downtown, planing to move in another 2 to 3 weeks from San Francisco. I am married and we have a 3 years old daughter. I am looking for housing in suburb location so that i can commute through the train. Can you guys recommend good suburb place for renting mostly looking for apartment style. One of my friends live in Bensenville. Is that a nice place? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM

721 posts, read 1,787,130 times
I don't know what exactly you're looking for, or how much you're willing to spend, but Evanston is a great suburb and it borders Chicago's north side. It is serviced by the Purple Line, which runs express straight into downtown Monday-Friday on peak hours.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,305,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivita View Post
One of my friends live in Bensenville. Is that a nice place?
If you are hispanic, or Mexican in particular, you would feel very comfortable.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,966,589 times
There are a lot of places that meet your criteria. Could you give a budget and what sort of place you are looking for(more urban vs. suburban)? How far are you willing to commute(There are burbs 20 mins away by train an burbs more than an hour away).

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick details. I am looking in suburban and willing to commute for max 30-45 mins. My budget is around 1200 for 2bed apartment I am an Asian race will be good if it is of same neighbour but not preference. Once again thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,305,984 times
Commute by car or train?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM

I like to commute by train something like park & ride! Thanks for the quick reply

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM

Oak park, Forrest Park and the near west burbs can get you downtown in 20-30 mins(the fastest). The fastest commutes(and larger Asian populations) are in the city but if you are not into city living it is understandable.

Bensonvile(where your friend lives) has a metra station that can get you downtown but takes about 40 mins. The rules for parking at Metra stations vary by burb so you might want to contact someone about the full details.

Check Metra for how long it takes to get to the terminals downtown. Add in a little more time for bus ride or walking to the office from there. Note some locations downtown like North Michigan ave. take a little longer than others to get to. Check out :Deprecated Browser Error to get an estimate of how long from the burb to your office via public transit.

;

Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Oak park, Forrest Park and the near west burbs can get you downtown in 20-30 mins(the fastest). The fastest commutes(and larger Asian populations) are in the city but if you are not into city living it is understandable.

Bensonvile(where your friend lives) has a metra station that can get you downtown but takes about 40 mins. The rules for parking at Metra stations vary by burb so you might want to contact someone about the full details.

Check Metra for how long it takes to get to the terminals downtown. Add in a little more time for bus ride or walking to the office from there. Note some locations downtown like North Michigan ave. take a little longer than others to get to. Check out :Deprecated Browser Error to get an estimate of how long from the burb to your office via public transit.

;
Hi Chirack,

Once again thanks for the complete details. Seeing from the metra map Bensenville seems to be near as it is 35 mins by train to reach the downtown. Is Bensenville is a nice area for a family? I am also considering Wheeling came to know through some colleagues as lot of asian communities are there. I know the commute might be nearly an hour by train. You valuable suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivita View Post
Hi Chirack,

Once again thanks for the complete details. Seeing from the metra map Bensenville seems to be near as it is 35 mins by train to reach the downtown. Is Bensenville is a nice area for a family? I am also considering Wheeling came to know through some colleagues as lot of asian communities are there. I know the commute might be nearly an hour by train. You valuable suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thanks
I am a city dweller and do not know as much about the burbs as the city. That being said Bensenville's downside is that it is located near O'hare and the airport noise might be an issues. Wheeling is a nice burb also but that is almost an hour commute. Bensenville is a bit more industrial than some burbs.

Granted the Metra is a nice commute and you could get some work done on the train but still time wise that could be a drain.

I think (but am not sure) that wheeling has good schools, but your daughter is a bit too young for that and you might want to get your bearings before seatling for good. Not sure about Bensenville’s schools.

I have heard some negativity about Bensenville but think it is way overblown(i.e. it isn’t a ghetto just a working class burb like wheeling).
The real problem is that your needs are a bit general. Schaumburg has some indian presence but not sure if that is what you mean by Asian (i.e. You could be Chinese for all I know). Your price can buy you an apartment in like 80-90% of burbs and I don’t know of anything else that would be important to you.

Chicago itself has strong Vietnamese and Chinese presence (although Chicago’s Chinatown can’t hold a candle to San Francisco’s).

Some burbs are more urban (like a city, walk able, dense, with good public transit elsewhere), some more suburban (i.e. not so dense, big houses on big lawns, no public tranist besides the metra station) and so on. Some burbs are closer to the city than others. Some have a bit more nightlife and other actives than others. Some have churches that have services in Chinese and so on(Wheeling might have one but don't quote me on that as I may be getting it mixed up with another burb).

Basically safe, 30-40 mins from Chicago via rail and in your budget turns up dozens if not hundreds of places. Good schools would limit it but your child has two years till that. Diverse would suggest Evanston or Oak Park, but that diversity would be more black/white diverse with a sprinkling of others than anything else.

Last edited by chirack; 04-04-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs