U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-27-2008, 01:56 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,810,078 times
When I first saw this thread I though of The Great Gatsby.

The people with newer money here put up a bunch of crappy houses and then can't sell them so they live in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-27-2008, 01:58 PM

4,338 posts, read 9,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The poorer you were before you made money, the more likely you are to want to distinguish yourself from the poor in very visible ways. And of course, many "new money" types retain their preferences and lack of taste after they come into money. This is the explanation for gaudy new-construction homes and tacky automobile choices.
I agree. Old money in Barrington Hills is VERY different from some of the obvious new money. (hey money is nice old or new) I would call them ''low key''.They would still have a beautiful older home and lovely grounds, but no Hummer and NO NO NO mentioning of money or what things cost. The braggert, the one who ''shows off '' or has the latest $$ watch,car or duds, a "we're the best town'' or I work at such and such, my children go to "this" school ,,that attitude is not someone who would be in such "upper"circles. There are people who think What they have is Who they are. Its rather sad and shallow I think.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,182,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The poorer you were before you made money, the more likely you are to want to distinguish yourself from the poor in very visible ways. And of course, many "new money" types retain their preferences and lack of taste after they come into money. This is the explanation for gaudy new-construction homes and tacky automobile choices.
A very astute observation.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree. Old money in Barrington Hills is VERY different from some of the obvious new money. (hey money is nice old or new) I would call them ''low key''.They would still have a beautiful older home and lovely grounds, but no Hummer and NO NO NO mentioning of money or what things cost. The braggert, the one who ''shows off '' or has the latest $$ watch,car or duds, a "we're the best town'' or I work at such and such, my children go to "this" school ,,that attitude is not someone who would be in such "upper"circles. There are people who think What they have is Who they are. Its rather sad and shallow I think.
I've heard that some BH families put more money and effort into their stables than their homes (which are still nice) and are more likely to spend $$$$ on a horse than jewelry or a car.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,063,825 times
It is like the Great Gatsby lol

I was thinking about this relative to St. Louis and laughing to myself. Might have to share this thread idea with the St. Louisians, could be full of that good old inside humor.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 9,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I've heard that some BH families put more money and effort into their stables than their homes (which are still nice) and are more likely to spend $$$$ on a horse than jewelry or a car.
Very true. Many have almost a spiritual relationship with their horses. And as I have said before, you cant be snooty with horse poop under your finger-nails.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Anthera, so you have any ideas on what the dues are for Westmoreland, Indian Hill, Lake Shore, etc? I have heard that they vary and some are cheap but hard to join and some are expensive and easy.

If I discussed fees I'd be guilty of vulgarity.

I will say that membership in a club like Conway Farms or Royal Melbourne is very easy because they are not private clubs and thus you do not need a sponsor. Just like joining Midtown Tennis or LAC.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:20 PM

409 posts, read 980,956 times
Of course you would, I know someone who is trying to get out of Conway Farms. They have nice houses around there though. Just DM me if you don't want it out here.

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM

The only time it is really appropriate to discuss specific fees for a club is if someone has offered to sponsor you and you need to know what your financial obligations would be.

There are many types of club membership, Jr., Social, Golf all are different. Some clubs are expensive some less so.

Unread 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Very true. Many have almost a spiritual relationship with their horses. And as I have said before, you cant be snooty with horse poop under your finger-nails.
When I lived in the city I used to go out to BH in the summer for their big horse show(sadly disbanded). It was so much fun to sit on the benches on a beautiful July day, soaking up the sun and watching all the amazing riders and their beautiful animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs