Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your place pt. 4
Orland Park 18 50.00%
Schaumburg 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times

Advertisements

I don't like either community, but I would probably pick Schaumburg because it is closer to the places I tend to travel to. That traffic is a nightmare out there, however!

My Mom's family is all from the South Side and south suburbs, so I am innately biased against that side of town. They all left years ago, and don't miss it one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 PM

142 posts, read 427,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't like either community, but I would probably pick Schaumburg because it is closer to the places I tend to travel to. That traffic is a nightmare out there, however!

My Mom's family is all from the South Side and south suburbs, so I am innately biased against that side of town. They all left years ago, and don't miss it one bit.
Obviously, the south side has crime problems, but what about the south side and south suburbs didn't they like? What suburb in particular?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
Obviously, the south side has crime problems, but what about the south side and south suburbs didn't they like? What suburb in particular?
Only the nicest towns. You know, Chicago's South Side, Hammond, Calumet City, East Chicago... Many of their neighbors moved to places like Tinley and Orland I'm sure, but most of my family either moved further into Indiana or up to Wisconsin. My Mom is actually kind of scared to visit her old neighborhood...

Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,541 times
Orland gets my vote!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Close poll! Seems like there is some love for both towns.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
They both are the mall/commercial capital of there region in the Chicago area. This is a good contest, because Orland Park is the commercial capital in the south/southwest suburbs and Schaumburg is the commercial capital in the north/northwest suburbs. I would have to go with Orland Park because its less congested and plus I live in th south suburban region.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
I picked Schaumburg because of Woodfield Mall, all the parks and recreation there is, and the nice houses that have been built within the last 15 years. There have been quite a few tear downs recently that I've seen listed online. I've also seen those million dollar homes that were built. I hope they can find someone to buy them.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Ummm what crime does Orland and Tinley both have that every town in the United States doesn't? Billy throwing some eggs at someone's windows? Or some occasional robberies? Or little Suzie shop lifting some crap from The Gap? Or little Michael getting busted for smoking weed in a parking lot somewhere? Or little Joey for having an underage drinking party? Ever read our police blotters down here to see what is really going on that constitues our supposed high crime?

I realize that this is an old example but its all I could find. Police Blotter: The Orland Park Prairie - Orland Park's Local Newspaper

I mean come on, Orland and Tinley and most of the burbs on the south side get such a rediculos rap for being "high crime areas" when its only a select few on the south side that have the high crime. Harvey, Cal City, Chicago Heights, Robbins, ok they have some murders and gang problems now, but the rest of the south side is just as safe as the "wonderous" northern burbs.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 AM

142 posts, read 427,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ummm what crime does Orland and Tinley both have that every town in the United States doesn't? Billy throwing some eggs at someone's windows? Or some occasional robberies? Or little Suzie shop lifting some crap from The Gap? Or little Michael getting busted for smoking weed in a parking lot somewhere? Or little Joey for having an underage drinking party? Ever read our police blotters down here to see what is really going on that constitues our supposed high crime?

I realize that this is an old example but its all I could find. Police Blotter: The Orland Park Prairie - Orland Park's Local Newspaper

I mean come on, Orland and Tinley and most of the burbs on the south side get such a rediculos rap for being "high crime areas" when its only a select few on the south side that have the high crime. Harvey, Cal City, Chicago Heights, Robbins, ok they have some murders and gang problems now, but the rest of the south side is just as safe as the "wonderous" northern burbs.
I was referring to the south side of the city of Chicago, e.g. Englewood, when I mentioned crime. I was actually asking the question because I was puzzled that anyone would be afraid of the south suburbs, but I guess Robbins, Harvey, etc. are worthy of some fear.

I don't really think I've heard anyone talk about crime problems in Tinley and Orland, so I don't know where that comes from. I do agree that the south/southwest burbs (not including Naperville) get far too little exposure. You'd be hard pressed to find any event (fireworks included) in the southwest burbs mentioned in the Tribune. My family always jokes that the Trib is afraid to go south of 55.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
I was referring to the south side of the city of Chicago, e.g. Englewood, when I mentioned crime. I was actually asking the question because I was puzzled that anyone would be afraid of the south suburbs, but I guess Robbins, Harvey, etc. are worthy of some fear.

I don't really think I've heard anyone talk about crime problems in Tinley and Orland, so I don't know where that comes from. I do agree that the south/southwest burbs (not including Naperville) get far too little exposure. You'd be hard pressed to find any event (fireworks included) in the southwest burbs mentioned in the Tribune. My family always jokes that the Trib is afraid to go south of 55.
Even though the fireworks were a complete joke... Wasn't Oak Fest's fireworks mentioned in there? I know that for whatever reason ABC 7 showed up to watch Pa Kettle with his flare light the fireworks (more like fire crackers) off one at a time for a boring 40 minutes of which I could barely stay awake for. ugghhh! At least the beer tent was there to keep me doing something constructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs