Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
didn't they actually have a police force at one time but were forced to shut down because of corruption?
Yes.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No it isn't.
Perhaps obligation is the wrong word. Where I live the County Fire Marshall and volunteers manage fires and the Sheriff manages 911, patrols County and Township roads, and answers civil and criminal calls. Sometimes small communities contract with nearby cities for some services.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM

26 posts, read 70,760 times
Maywood

Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
I wonder why anyone wants to know. Do you want to get murdered because life insurance won't pay on suicides?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Perhaps obligation is the wrong word. Where I live the County Fire Marshall and volunteers manage fires and the Sheriff manages 911, patrols County and Township roads, and answers civil and criminal calls. Sometimes small communities contract with nearby cities for some services.
Well, Ford Heights is located in the middle of a populated suburban area. I know you are confused because it's a small suburb that takes like 5 minutes to pass through. The east side of Chicago Heights - which looks about the same - is bigger than Ford Heights. But the Cook County sheriff's office normally has no business managing 911 calls in Chicago suburbs, regardless of the suburb's size. Suburban police officers usually live in other towns.

The problem would hypothetically be solved if Ford Heights was incorporated into Chicago Heights. But why would anyone in Chicago Heights want that?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaster View Post
Maywood
Defintely the worst reputation out of anything outside of the southland.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
South:
Harvey
Dolton
Chicago Heights
Robbins
Ford Heights

West/SouthWest:
Maywood
Bellwood
Cicero
Aurora
Joliet

North/NorthWest:
Waukegan
North Chicago
Elgin
Carpentersville

NorthWest Indiana:
Gary
E. Chicago
Hammond

This is just based of reputation: a few of these towns and cities have decent parts and nice neighborhoods. Some of them live up to their reputation, others aren't really that bad but still do have some issues with gangs, drugs etc

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 06-24-2012 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Default Ford Heights

Fords Heights is an incorporated Village in Bloom Township, Cook County, Illinois formally called East Chicago Heights. The Cook County Sheriff's Office is the law enforcement agency that serves Cook County. It is the third largest Sheriff's Office in the second largest County in America.

The department’s primary responsibility, as mandated by the state constitution, is to provide basic police services to the 109,000 residents who work and reside in the unincorporated areas of the county. Additionally, the Sheriff’s Police has several specialized units that provide services to suburban police departments on a mutual aid basis. This includes 128 municipalities within the borders of Cook County

According to the Sheriff's Officer that I just talked to in Maywood, the Sheriff handles Ford Heights and, not any suburban police, which would tend to indicate Ford Heights in in an unincorporated area of Cook County.

Cook County Sheriff's Police Department

I was curious if Cook County Sheriff views his duty to these areas the same as the Sheriffs' in other areas of Illinois do. Apparently he does. Even with 500 members, it does not mean Ford Heights cannot contract independently with a suburban police force to render aid when the Sheriff's office cannot respond quickly. When similar service serve the same area it is very confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, Ford Heights is located in the middle of a populated suburban area. I know you are confused because it's a small suburb that takes like 5 minutes to pass through. The east side of Chicago Heights - which looks about the same - is bigger than Ford Heights. But the Cook County sheriff's office normally has no business managing 911 calls in Chicago suburbs, regardless of the suburb's size. Suburban police officers usually live in other towns.

The problem would hypothetically be solved if Ford Heights was incorporated into Chicago Heights. But why would anyone in Chicago Heights want that?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Fords Heights is an incorporated Village in Bloom Township, Cook County, Illinois formally called East Chicago Heights. The Cook County Sheriff's Office is the law enforcement agency that serves Cook County. It is the third largest Sheriff's Office in the second largest County in America.

The department’s primary responsibility, as mandated by the state constitution, is to provide basic police services to the 109,000 residents who work and reside in the unincorporated areas of the county. Additionally, the Sheriff’s Police has several specialized units that provide services to suburban police departments on a mutual aid basis. This includes 128 municipalities within the borders of Cook County

According to the Sheriff's Officer that I just talked to in Maywood, the Sheriff handles Ford Heights and, not any suburban police, which would tend to indicate Ford Heights in in an unincorporated area of Cook County.

Cook County Sheriff's Police Department

I was curious if Cook County Sheriff views his duty to these areas the same as the Sheriffs' in other areas of Illinois do. Apparently he does. Even with 500 members, it does not mean Ford Heights cannot contract independently with a suburban police force to render aid when the Sheriff's office cannot respond quickly. When similar service serve the same area it is very confusing.
Ford Heights is a suburb and not an unincorporated area in Cook County. Being broke doesn't change that. You are reading into his words and twisting some kind of weird reality. He obviously meant EXCEPT FOR Ford Heights. Ford Heights is an incorporated suburb of Chicago. It's a village. It's a suburb. It's a town. It even has a village hall even if it doesn't have a PD. It used to have a police department. I am from the area.. I don't need to look at a Wikipedia page to tell you all about Ford Heights. If you want to hear stories and rumors, I'm a better person to talk to. Maywood is an hour away from Ford Heights.

I can tell you about how I've passed through Ford Heights before 10AM and seen thugs hanging in front of the liquor stores. I can tell you about how thugs supposedly burned to death some white people who walked through. I can tell you about how once I actually saw a white guy hanging in front of a liquor store in Ford Heights (it was so weird). I can tell you about how years after the police department was disbanded, DNA evidence in rape cases was uncovered. For some reason, the Ford Heights PD was hiding the evidence.. I can tell you about how the cheapest new homes in all of Cook County are technically located in Ford Heights (but west of 394). I can tell you that to anyone from the area - and I really mean anyone - mentioning Ford Heights sends a little shiver up the spine. The reputation is like no other.. People don't actually want to talk about it. But rather, pretend it doesn't exist.

The Ford Heights PD was disbanded. They made just over minimum wage and were crooked. There is NO MONEY in Ford Heights and it can't sustain itself. Approximately 80% of Ford Heights residents are on gov't assistance. So yeah, but default, it kinda has become an unincorporated area of Cook County. Although the place would improve if that's what it legally was.. Ford Heights might be a forgotten wasteland but it's still a town.

Last edited by urza216; 06-25-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Cook County Sheriff does patrol and provide the man cover for Ford Heights.

The Sheriff Dept district from Markham is responsible for that area.

I am pretty sure the Chicago Heights Fire Dept covers Ford Heights.

The fire depts out of Sauk Village and Steger may assist to.

Ford Heights is not an unicorported area the PD was corrupt.
If memory is correct the Sheriff Dept actually raided the PD and found evidence from past cases.

The PD in Ford Heights was as bad as Ford Heights Reputation.

Ford Heights needs to be absorbed by surrounding villages.

Of all places in the Chicago area Ford Heights is dysfunctional as you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs