Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,295 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are liberal, tree hugging, vegetarian, urban hip attachment parenters of two little girls in our early 30's. We just moved to the area. We grew up in Detroit, but we've lived in California for 13 years. We've been looking for an area with like-minded people, great schools, safe neighborhoods and a real sense of community with a hip (and safe) downtown area and a mid century modern house. We have found a wonderful home in Lake Bluff. I'm not having much luck getting any input about the area since most people I speak to don't know anything about Lake Bluff. I'm trying to figure out if we'd be likely to find other people like us in Lake Bluff or if we'd just stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
My sense is that its probably a somewhat conservative area, having known a few people from there. Sounds like you would fit into someplace like Evanston or Oak Park better, or the N. side of Chicago.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,027 times
Lake Bluff is very conservative Jay. It is just like Lake Forest, and the other NS communities. You should want to be different. Ignore all this stuff and pick which community you think is the prettiest, etc.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Again the voices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Lake Bluff is very conservative Jay. It is just like Lake Forest, and the other NS communities. You should want to be different. Ignore all this stuff and pick which community you think is the prettiest, etc.
Lake Bluff is NOT just like Lake Forest. It has ALWAYS been smaller, and FOR A LONG LONG LONG time has been LESS EXPENSIVE because it has far less of the "prestige". Way back in time it was "an affordable buffer" for those that wanted no part of the Lake Forest crowd, some of that still is reflected by the kinds of folks who choose one over the other. I seem to recall a friend in Liberyville characterizing nature lovers in Lake Forest as the type that appreciated a pheasant hunt, while a nature lover n Lake Bluff would be happier having some pheasants in their yard...
LB is far less dominated by "old money mindset" than LF. In a purely RELATIVE sense LB is less "conservative" but it by no means a liberal haven. It is very quiet. That said it seems to be a VERY nice place to raise kids. A few years back a friend looked at house there and one in Highland Park and I was surprised that the much smaller town had very comparable Park District offerings and such, as I thought only larger towns could support such things. I take the presence of such things as evidence that there are not just a bunch of old fuddy-duddies running things!

I hope things work out for you with your offer. Personally, given your price range that is one HECK of a discount. I have known retirees that pretty much NEED to get every dime they can out a property, and those that have more flexibility. Hard to predict. The various justifications that buyer and seller engage in can be nerve wracking for those involved, but almost entertaining for "bystanders" so I hope you keep us in here in the forum up to date.

If the sellers are willing to listen, anything is possible!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Once again, great post chet, agree with your comparison of LB/LF, OP, listen to this guy, he is our resident Real Estate wise man.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,203 times
Jay,

Did you go to the family fair in LB today?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 AM

82 posts, read 394,455 times
You and your family sound like a better fit for Evanston. I think Lake Bluff might be a bit conservative, it has a much more rural feel while Evanston has a bit of a city vibe. LB is quiet and has no real downtown to speak of...so for the closest downtown and/or entertainment you'd find yourself in Lake Forest or Libertyville.

Evanston has a very hip, liberal, family centered community where any type of alternative living is embraced.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,650 times
I was looking for something else and saw your posting. Are you still in Lake Bluff? I moved from Evanston to LB 6 years ago and lpreviously ived in SF and Austin, TX. I am a very liberal, environmentally minded, stay-at-home mom with 3 kids ages 9, 6 and 2. Would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of Evanston vs. LB with you...

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoelakebluff View Post
I was looking for something else and saw your posting. Are you still in Lake Bluff? I moved from Evanston to LB 6 years ago and lpreviously ived in SF and Austin, TX. I am a very liberal, environmentally minded, stay-at-home mom with 3 kids ages 9, 6 and 2. Would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of Evanston vs. LB with you...
She moved to Evanston and now wants to go home to CA. I do not think you can convince her to stay in Illinois at all. DM her.

Here is one hell of a saga to read through:

Where do tree hugging, vegetarian liberals belong in north Chicago?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Hell" being the descriptive word...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs