Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM

7 posts, read 17,738 times

Advertisements

I'm from OH and will be moving to IL in the next 4 weeks. I have an opportunity to move to either Northbrook, Palos Hts East, Palos Hts West or Oak Lawn.
I personally like Oak Lawn just because I'll be closer to my friends who lives in Joliet. But I absolutely know nothing about the place!
I am really concerned about the crime rates and general safety around the area especially I'm a single lady. At the same time, I want to stay in a place where there's a lot to do; like shopping, restaurants, church and dance studios.
I did some research on the net about these areas and they're pretty fine, I suppose.
I want to know the scoop from the people of Chicago themselves as to which one is a better place to live in. Lastly, how would you consider Oak Lawn's orientation from Chicago? Is it South? In summary, from what I heard and read, South Part of Chicago is bad, and I don't want to be in that place.
Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 37,370 times
The south side of chicago isn't that bad. Southern Suburbs are fine. Oak Lawn is a southwest suburb.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:13 AM

25 posts, read 86,064 times
South side of chicago is bad in spots, but most of the neighborhoods are very nice. You'll find a gang presence in almost all suburbs, leading to some crime. Oak Lawn is a nice town, but you may find yourself just as happy (and with cheaper housing) in the city limits if you find the right neighborhood.

There are two websites that are good for finding details on demographics, gang activity, etc., for chicago neighborhoods. chicagogangs.org has maps that show hotspots for gang activity (check yahoo maps and zoom to the top few levels to see how neighborhoods are defined), and wikipedia has a "chicago neighborhoods" section that displays demographic data and definitions for most chicago neighborhoods.

Are you limited to the communities you mentioned for some reason? If you want to be near Joliet, but still have lots to do, orland park or tinley park may be a good option, too (or oak forest is a bit cheaper).

Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM

Thanks for you input.
To rstravis, the areas i've mentioned are possible assignments. I want to live close to work so I guess, its wiser to stay within the same area/county.
I really appreciate your reply!!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Palos (either) and Oak Lawn will be closer to your friends in Joliet than Northbrook.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
I don't know all that much about the Southern Suburbs but I have been to Palos Park which I remember as pretty and Orland Park which I perceived as different from Palos Park. I live near Northbrook and I would say it is quite a bit different from these other communities. There is kind of a thing going on between North siders and South siders (Cubs - Sox)so I am biased toward the North side since I live North.

I think you have to check these places out. I have no idea what your community is like where you live now or what your expectations are, so it's hard to determine what would feel like a fit for you. Hopefully some people who live South can tell you more about those suburbs.

Northbrook is a nice suburb with nice homes, close to shopping and expressways. You have public transportation and decent places to eat including higher end places like Ruth's Chris Steak House. There are lots of housing choices from Condos to single family homes both new and older homes. You also have a decent amount of rentals as well due to all the condos. Good luck with your home search!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM

To Calidreemer: I live in a great suburb of cleveland, in 15 minutes I can be at downtown Cleveland or at the airport. I live at Rocky River which is a high end community so I'm used to having my privacy and didn't encounter any trouble in this area at all! In less than 10 minutes, I can be at the post office and local library. We have public transportation here too. 20 minutes I'm at a decent shopping mall. Groceries are very accessible too. I would love to have the same convenience and "safe" area when I move there.
Would you think that its better for me to stay at Orland Park or Tinley Park compared to Oak Lawn??
I'm starting to hunt for a place to stay now??

Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
Rocky River is a beautiful community, you are very lucky! You have a great deal there, nothing here for that price in Chicago. In Chicago your lucky if your anywhere close to the lake for under $2,000,000. If you want something similar, go for the North Shore, even though you'll have something small. It is a very easy adjustment. Wilmette is pretty similar to Rocky River, but also Highland Park is too, if you want more stuff to do. Northbrook is the best community of those you mentioned. The southern suburbs are not as well known for a reason. They have less to do and are not as scenic as the Northern and Western Suburbs. You might also look at Evanston if you want something similar to Lakewood, except Evanston is going to be more weathy than Lakewood. GOOD LUCK CLEVELANDER!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
Hi Al, again, I don't really know the Southern Suburbs because I live North, but I can tell you that Northbrook has Northbrook Court which has nice shops and a movie theater - some of the shops include Macys, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, and other retailers like the Gap, Banana Republic, Cole Haan etc.

Northbrook is also probably a 20 minute drive to O'Hare airport in good traffic. I am not sure what your price range is, although I would guess that the cost of rentals is higher in Northbrook then it is in Cleveland, but here is a link to give you an idea of rental costs in NB. Based on the pricing, you may do better buying a condo if the assessments are not too high. Good luck!
Northbrook IL Homes For Sale - AOL Real Estate

Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM

88 posts, read 482,752 times
I live in Palos heights, have been in this general area for 30 years (Oak Forest, Crestwood, and now Palos Heights for almost six years. Orland Park (with it's major shopping mall and very large business district on LaGrange Road) is only about 10-15 minutes from here. Palos Heights has it's own shopping area (small;er than Orland) with shopping, restaurants, post office, medical offices,etc. all running pretty much down Harlem Avenue from 127th Street & heading north from there. I am not familar at all with Northbrook. Oak Lawn is further north from Orland & Palos (about 95th Street compared to Palos at about 127th, & Orland about 143-159th) Maybe 30 years ago, Oak Lawn was the area many people moved to from the 'city'. It is much older than say, Orland Park. I don't have a clue what apartments rent for in any areas, and condo prices vary a great deal in all three of these southwest suburbs. I can tell you that real estate taxes are higher in both Palos and in Orland Park. Midway airport is about a 30-40 minute drive from Orland & Palos, and much less from Oak Lawn. BTW- "Palos area' includes, Palos Heights, Palos Park, and Palos Hills. Can't add much more unless you ask specific questions of each area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs