Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM

95 posts, read 325,327 times

Advertisements

This is a biggy and I need all the experts help on this one. My daughter currently lives in Forest Park, and works in Elk Grove Village. Boyfriend, future roommate, works in Lake Forest. Would you recommend Lincolnwood as a good compromise for each of their commutes (EGV, and Lake Forest?

Any better recommendations for future family building, close to the trains to city, "downtown" feeling with restaurants, like Forest Park or Oak Park?

Thanks!!! (He really likes suburbs - she likes "city") Need compromise!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Distance wise you are right on, but Lincolnwood is more suburb-like than just about any other town that close in...

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
If they can afford Lincolnwood they could look at Evanston as well. It offers a good city/suburb compromise. But I don't like that commute to Elk Grove Village. There's no great east/west artery going to and from Evanston. But Metra access to Lake Forest is a plus!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
As far as distance to the city,price and distance to trains,Morton Grove,Skokie,Niles as well as Lincolnwood are your best options in the near North and Northwest burbs of Chicago.

The thing is they do not have really exciting downtowns and a wealth of things to do in their downtown areas. But then again neither does Evanston really. Evanston has more things to do than the areas I mentioned, but it is not worth the price IMO.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
As far as distance to the city,price and distance to trains,Morton Grove,Skokie,Niles as well as Lincolnwood are your best options in the near North and Northwest burbs of Chicago.

The thing is they do not have really exciting downtowns and a wealth of things to do in their downtown areas. But then again neither does Evanston really. Evanston has more things to do than the areas I mentioned, but it is not worth the price IMO.
I think it is, when you take into account the cost of real estate on the North Side and other North Shore towns. Of course, you could argue that all of these areas are overpriced right now.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think it is, when you take into account the cost of real estate on the North Side and other North Shore towns. Of course, you could argue that all of these areas are overpriced right now.
The price of the towns north of Evanston are well worth it compared with the overbloated prices of Evanston. Evanston is a glorified Rogers Park-and I know Evanston existed long before Rogers Park. Half the town of Evanston is garbage.

IMO I would rather live in Rogers Park than Evanston. There is not much difference except for price.

Sounds crazy doesnt it? But I am being honest.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM

95 posts, read 325,327 times
What would be the easiest commute for her to Elk Grove Villiage? Looks like any where North will be an easy commute to Lake Forest, so that doesn't seem to be a problem! It seems EGV is hard to get to from any where!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Put DesPlaines and Park Ridge on the list too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstengle View Post
This is a biggy and I need all the experts help on this one. My daughter currently lives in Forest Park, and works in Elk Grove Village. Boyfriend, future roommate, works in Lake Forest. Would you recommend Lincolnwood as a good compromise for each of their commutes (EGV, and Lake Forest?

Any better recommendations for future family building, close to the trains to city, "downtown" feeling with restaurants, like Forest Park or Oak Park?

Thanks!!! (He really likes suburbs - she likes "city") Need compromise!!!!
Des Plaines and Park Ridge have a couple of the most useful downtowns, resturants, movies, library, shopping are all darned walkable. Easier to get to EGV from either too. Decent access to the tollway for Lake Forest. If schools are a (future) factor Park Ridge is a notch up fro Des Plaines...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The price of the towns north of Evanston are well worth it compared with the overbloated prices of Evanston. Evanston is a glorified Rogers Park-and I know Evanston existed long before Rogers Park. Half the town of Evanston is garbage.

IMO I would rather live in Rogers Park than Evanston. There is not much difference except for price.

Sounds crazy doesnt it? But I am being honest.
It sounds crazy because it is. But I agree that maybe a quarter of Evanston should be avoided.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Des Plaines and Park Ridge have a couple of the most useful downtowns, resturants, movies, library, shopping are all darned walkable. Easier to get to EGV from either too. Decent access to the tollway for Lake Forest. If schools are a (future) factor Park Ridge is a notch up fro Des Plaines...
I just recommended Park Ridge in another post, and think it could work for this couple too. "Uptown Park Ridge" (not be be confused with Chicago's Uptown neighborhood) is a nice little commercial strip that couldn't be found in Lincolnwood. And it seems like the commute could work in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs