Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM

51 posts, read 211,030 times

Advertisements

Money magazine has named Naperville the #3 best city to live in with a population between 50,000-300,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,234,366 times
Not surprising, if Naperville is indeed your sort of thing. I lived there for 8 years, found it to be alright. Surprisingly, they found Aurora to be in the top 100. While the good does outweigh the bad there, I wouldn't have picked it.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM

610 posts, read 2,721,783 times
I was listening to NPR on Wednesday night at 8:55pm and there was a "tribute" to Naperville. I missed most of it but there was a hilarious song and comdey routine about Naperville. It was a spoof on the city and some residents may be offended by it but overall it did have truth to it. I missed the comedian's name but heard the last two minutes of his song. It was a riot. Did anyone else hear it?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,187,731 times
I believe this is the 3rd or 4th consecutive year Naperville has been in the top 10. I dont see it losing rank any time in the forseeable future, they just keep improving that town every time I drive through it.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 AM

31 posts, read 126,106 times
Naperville is a W0NDERFUL place......................if you can afford it that is!
you know people are naming Naperville "Little California" now because they resemble each other so much!?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM

109 posts, read 261,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialiteprincess View Post
Naperville is a W0NDERFUL place......................if you can afford it that is!
you know people are naming Naperville "Little California" now because they resemble each other so much!?
California has disgustingly humid summers too? I feel like I'm drowning breathing this air...

Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,682,305 times
I'm a professional in my thirties with a family, and know MANY other professionals in their thirties with children. But for some reason, none of them live in Naperville or have any plans to move there. The people I know who are moving to the suburbs aren't even considering Naperville, and it's not an issue of affordability. I know several people who grew up in Naperville, but I don't know anyone who is going back. Why is this? What's up with the Naperville backlash among Generation X and Y?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,234,366 times
I keep in contact with a pretty good chunk of my graduating class from Neuqua, and have seen where others are on facebook. You'd be surprised to see that only a couple dozen actually remain in Naperville. Believe it or not, most took off for the east coast, others for the west coast. Some of us were transplanted city kids, so that was one thing. I guess if I was a parent who didn't like cookie cutter, I'd backlash too.

I think that some people see Naperville as the land of milk and honey, but after going to high school there and staying there for some college, I'd beg to differ.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,187,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleer View Post
California has disgustingly humid summers too? I feel like I'm drowning breathing this air...
Not quite as humid, no. But thank goodness, this heat and humidity wont last, next week the drier air and lower temps return for several days. Hey, at least here you dont have to breathe smoke or smog.

And Im still curious how Naperville is compared with CA. I dont see ANY similarities besides a few stores, thats about it.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,682,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
I keep in contact with a pretty good chunk of my graduating class from Neuqua, and have seen where others are on facebook. You'd be surprised to see that only a couple dozen actually remain in Naperville. Believe it or not, most took off for the east coast, others for the west coast. Some of us were transplanted city kids, so that was one thing. I guess if I was a parent who didn't like cookie cutter, I'd backlash too.

I think that some people see Naperville as the land of milk and honey, but after going to high school there and staying there for some college, I'd beg to differ.
I think that Naperville has come to symbolize something utterly suburban. It's sort of the default upper-middle class suburb. Somehow it's more palatable for many younger families to live in a lesser-known suburb for, even though Naperville has better schools and a nicer downtown than most. But there's also the idea that Naperville doesn't offer anything particularly unique, and the same ammenities can be found elsewhere for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs