Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your place (7/18/08)
Naperville 9 26.47%
Hinsdale 25 73.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Does that mean that you are one of those 3 lonely souls that voted for Naperville?
Well, I voted for Naperville just because I think it has more what I want in a town. Both towns are very nice, Hinsdale more so, but I just like Napervilles vibe more.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Intersting to note that while you often give long-winded defensive statements about both Naperville and Chicago, you choose not call either one home! How would you know what daily life is in either place?
True, Ive never lived in Chicago, but Ive lived in Naperville, just not currently. Maybe thats why I know what daily life is like in Naperville. And I also currently live right on the border of Naperville/Warrenville, which is also another reason why I comment so much about Naperville.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:33 PM

39 posts, read 192,239 times
Hinsdale for the location.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM

939 posts, read 2,378,925 times
I choose Hinsdale because I like smaller towns, the variety of housing, less congested and more trees. I like the area around downtown Naperville, but I've never really understood why the whole town gets the hype it does. This truly isn't meant to be a knock on Naperville, but there are any number of suburbs that have as much or more to offer.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,343,229 times
There a lot of corporate headquarters and large office buildings in and around naperville/warrenville. Thus lots of close proximity to jobs. Thus the popularity.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:12 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
True, Ive never lived in Chicago, but Ive lived in Naperville, just not currently. Maybe thats why I know what daily life is like in Naperville. And I also currently live right on the border of Naperville/Warrenville, which is also another reason why I comment so much about Naperville.
Well depending on when you lived in Naper, that would make a difference of your perception of it. Even if it was just ten years ago, Naperville is not the same city. This, "I live close, but not in, therefore I still understand what it is like", doesn't quite work up there in Chicagoland, I hate to tell you. People are packed in so tight, each and every sprawled out town literally borders the other. Do you really think developers up there care? Naperville is very, very, very spread out, and Warrenville is just a tiny little blip next to it. Besides, the underlying comment here suggests that there is a reason why you do not live in either Chicago or Naper. Obviously we can infer that both have enough negatives that forced you out or never attracted you, but out of all places Warrenville, has enough positives to drag you in. Again, the logic here makes little sense.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
Hinsdale. Overall, more established town without the new, cornfield-esque subdivisions lacking mature trees. Both nice towns, money not being a factor, Hinsdale is the choice.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well depending on when you lived in Naper, that would make a difference of your perception of it. Even if it was just ten years ago, Naperville is not the same city. This, "I live close, but not in, therefore I still understand what it is like", doesn't quite work up there in Chicagoland, I hate to tell you. People are packed in so tight, each and every sprawled out town literally borders the other. Do you really think developers up there care? Naperville is very, very, very spread out, and Warrenville is just a tiny little blip next to it. Besides, the underlying comment here suggests that there is a reason why you do not live in either Chicago or Naper. Obviously we can infer that both have enough negatives that forced you out or never attracted you, but out of all places Warrenville, has enough positives to drag you in. Again, the logic here makes little sense.
I can literally throw a rock from my yard into Naperville, from Warrenville. Im in that town several times a week, if not more, including living there a few years back. I left Naperville because we were expecting our son and needed a larger place, which happened to be way out in Sycamore, IL. As our son grew we moved back to the area and found a place we liked in Warrenville.

Why do I feel I have to explain this to you? Go worship your idyllic southern cities and leave this discussion to those who actually KNOW the area, not those who just drive through Naperville 2 times and feel like youre remotely worthy of replying.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I can literally throw a rock from my yard into Naperville, from Warrenville. Im in that town several times a week, if not more, including living there a few years back. I left Naperville because we were expecting our son and needed a larger place, which happened to be way out in Sycamore, IL. As our son grew we moved back to the area and found a place we liked in Warrenville.

Why do I feel I have to explain this to you? Go worship your idyllic southern cities and leave this discussion to those who actually KNOW the area, not those who just drive through Naperville 2 times and feel like youre remotely worthy of replying.
I used to live very close to Naperville, in a town that actually reflects it's size; Downers Grove. When I was up there Naper was nothing more than a truck stop with a quickly growing population. It was cookie cutter then, it is cookie cutter now. Nothing much has really changed. The technology corridor just happened to set up shop in that general area. It wasn't anything the city of Naperville did. Mmmmm...sounds much like present day Plainfield, and we know how much people on this forum find that place attractive.

The only point I'm trying to make is that your argument is contradictory. You loved living in Naperville because of its "historic" and vibrant downtown. I can see that, (I would too, but am not willing to pay those insane prices for what you get), even though I highly doubt downtown was that accessible from where you lived. But hey, at least you had the address right! But yet at the same time you found Sycamore???? to be a lovely little place, even though it is about as un-Naper-ish as they come. Then you moved to Warrenville which is nothing but sprawl and by your own definition, everything you hate about Chicagoland. So in other words, you picked two completely different kinds of cities, and then a place that has attributes that you constanly say are bad on this site. Yet, somehow they are all three great places to live. All the while you keep stating that you wouldn't move to Peoria because it doesn't have things that Warrenville does. Is anyone else as confused as I am on this???

Old 07-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I used to live very close to Naperville, in a town that actually reflects it's size; Downers Grove. When I was up there Naper was nothing more than a truck stop with a quickly growing population. It was cookie cutter then, it is cookie cutter now. Nothing much has really changed. The technology corridor just happened to set up shop in that general area. It wasn't anything the city of Naperville did. Mmmmm...sounds much like present day Plainfield, and we know how much people on this forum find that place attractive.

The only point I'm trying to make is that your argument is contradictory. You loved living in Naperville because of its "historic" and vibrant downtown. I can see that, (I would too, but am not willing to pay those insane prices for what you get), even though I highly doubt downtown was that accessible from where you lived. But hey, at least you had the address right! But yet at the same time you found Sycamore???? to be a lovely little place, even though it is about as un-Naper-ish as they come. Then you moved to Warrenville which is nothing but sprawl and by your own definition, everything you hate about Chicagoland. So in other words, you picked two completely different kinds of cities, and then a place that has attributes that you constanly say are bad on this site. Yet, somehow they are all three great places to live. All the while you keep stating that you wouldn't move to Peoria because it doesn't have things that Warrenville does. Is anyone else as confused as I am on this???
If you cant find the qualities in each town I listed, then there's no point in talking to you. Ive lived all over the place, even a little stint out of state. I like variety. At times I love vibrancy (Naperville and STC), other times I want peace and quiet (hence my moves to Dixon, IL and Sycamore, IL). Ive since settled in the middle, in Warrenville, where its not as vibrant as Naperville, but also not ultra-quiet like out in the country (Dixon/Oregon), its a good mix. Ive tried several places and enjoyed aspects of each place, and rightly so. I dont have to explain to you my life story, so Ill stop now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs