Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM

146 posts, read 514,919 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure which would be the best choice for relocation. I would be working in Coal City and my wife would be working in the nearest hospital, Morris, so I guess we're deciding between Morris and Coal City to live. The schools in CC have a good rating but they're small schools and small schools don't usually have as much to offer (subjects, sports, activities, etc.) as larger schools, at least according to my experiences. I'm not sure if there are many high crime areas in Morris though. I know CC is safe in that aspect. It seems like the schools in this county don't compare to the western and northern burbs but the price is right for us. I haven't heard many good things about Joliet, which would probably have to be our main shopping area if we lived in CC. Anyway, these two towns seem to be our only choices since I would have to work in Coal City, Calumet City (a rough area to live) or Woodale (surrounding burbs seem to be to expensive for us; Shaumburg, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Wooddale??? Calumet City?

How far are you looking?

Yorkville, Channahon, Shorewood, Braiwood, Wilmington even Plainfield are all the "deep fringe / rural border" category as reachable from Morris, but I would not want to rack up the miles driving way up to Wooddale or Calumet City...

Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wooddale??? Calumet City?

How far are you looking?

Yorkville, Channahon, Shorewood, Braiwood, Wilmington even Plainfield are all the "deep fringe / rural border" category as reachable from Morris, but I would not want to rack up the miles driving way up to Wooddale or Calumet City...

I guess I wasn't clear last post. I could work either in Coal City, Wood Dale or Calumet City. My wife could work in any town/city that has a hospital. So I'm trying to find out which area/city: wood dale, coal city or morris; would be best for us. I'm guessing the wood dale area would be out of our price range, but I'm not too familiar with the area, so I'm not sure of that.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
If memory serves me correctly Coal City is a little over an hour from the western edge of Chicago. We used to canoe in a quarry there. Coal City is probably more affordable than Wood Dale or Cal City. You might want to research home listings to see what is available in all 3 areas to determine where your budget fits in.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,013 times
living up here in Dupage county... and right next door to wooddale... I'd personally look south.

we [DH and I] looked down in Coal City, Morris area when we first got married. Really loved it down there.

There is really nothing economical about Wood Dale and the surrounding areas.

I also guess it depends on where you decide to work.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 25,223 times
Coal City offers a very strong school district. They have excellent facilities and are opening a brand new elementary school this fall. Coal City offers a nice selection of athletics and activities for their students. From football and tennis to speech and band, Coal City High School like most schools its size(650 enrollment), provides opportunities for students to do more than just focus in one area. You might just find that your children will have more opportunities to make teams and compete in a small school then they ever would in a hyper-competitive suburban school.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 AM

Do you think there's any quality towns/burbs in the direction of lake michigan (north) from wooddale? Maybe between Cicero and Wood dale or something? I might consider going to school around Cicero while working in Wood dale. Not sure if any of those places would be good for family and affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
living up here in Dupage county... and right next door to wooddale... I'd personally look south.

we [DH and I] looked down in Coal City, Morris area when we first got married. Really loved it down there.

There is really nothing economical about Wood Dale and the surrounding areas.

I also guess it depends on where you decide to work.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 AM

I recently found out that I can only be employed w/ my company in two places within chicagoland, Calumet City and Wood dale. I would have to find a town/burb near one of those places.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
I guess it would help to know your price range and what you're looking for. We could then probably help you figure out which would be the better location. I guess it really depends on if you like a more rural or more suburban setting (and what you can afford)

Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I guess it would help to know your price range and what you're looking for. We could then probably help you figure out which would be the better location. I guess it really depends on if you like a more rural or more suburban setting (and what you can afford)

We could probably only afford a 160-180,000 3 brm house or condo. I like rural best but with our budget, my job choices (woodale and calumet city) and my school choices ( Glen Ellyn, cicero, Des Plaines, and chicago) I don't know if rural is possible. But I know I won't put my family into a dangerous environment. As long as I work for the company I'm with, my family and I would have to live close to woodale or calumet city. We would need to be near a hospital so my wife could work. I'm guessing Tinley Park and the Orland spots are about the only burbs in the southeast that are uneffected by the high crime eastern IL burbs. If Oak Forest can avoid a decline then it could be a consideration for my family and I to move to, though It's closer to Markham and Midlothian than I'd like it to be. I'm not sure if I would consider Thornton or not. For one thing, it's only five miles from Harvey (high crime). Those two seem to be the only other decent places (?) in the area but they might change for the worse in years to come. Any houses or condos around Woodale are probably real high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs