Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 02:30 PM

70 posts, read 209,031 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I just accepted a new position with my company and will be relocating to the area within the next 8-10 weeks. The area is quite large and I don't even know where to begin the house hunt. Any recommendations are appreciated!

A little to go on-
-I will be working in Oakbrook Terrace 1-2 days a week
-I will be spending a considerable amount of time traveling so proximity to the airport is important
-I will be visiting Lincoln Park frequently for work
-I'm in my late twenties/single with a large dog. School districts are not a concern. It would be nice to be close to park or live in a neighborhood that was good for walking however.
-I'm hoping to spend around $1200 a month on rent and would like to live somewhere with a fenced in yard.

Thank you in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,176,858 times
Which airport? Midway or O'Hare? Do you want an apartment or house? Im guessing house since you mentioned you wanted a fenced-in yard, but Ill ask anyways.

Also, what do you want in the town besides just being walkable?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,570,618 times
Theres Elmhurst, lots of nice parks,alot of rentals, nice downtown, great walking 'hoods,next door to Oakbrook Terrace and an easy jaunt downtown.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,055,031 times
Neat situation, travel is going to be overnight? Need to factor in pet care...

Oakbrook Terrace is adjacent to Villa Park, some nice safe parks and such for you and dog(Prarie Path is especially good through Villa Park with the main trail of crushed limestone surrounded north & south through whole town with grass liner park...), lots of kids that would make OK dog sitters, more affordable rents than Elmhurst (schools not as good), could easily commute to either O'Hare or Midway, OK train service to downtown, need to use public transit from their to Lincoln Park is doable, probably not as fast as driving even the Eisenhower is no picnic. Biggest downside: not much for a late 20's single to do.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 AM

70 posts, read 209,031 times
Thanks for all the great replies so far!

Travel is going to be overnight and short 2-3 days trips most of the time. On some trips my dog will probably come along and go to dog day camp at the destination end.

I don't really have a preference on airports at this time. I'll be traveling to destinations in the midwest as well as Seattle most frequently.

I'm not much of a party animal, so proximity to clubs..etc isn't important. It would be nice to be closer to coffee shops, nice grocery stores and the like.

Ideally I'd like a house, but I'm not sure it's in my price range. I duplex would also be nice or a townhouse.

Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 AM

73 posts, read 200,956 times
I live in a really dog friendly complex in Schaumburg. My dog is almost 80lbs and tehre are at least 40 other dogs in my complex. People are always out walking and super friendly. Plus we have about 10 or 15 poop station(trash cans with plastic baggies) located throughout the walking trails aroudn the complex.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 426,025 times
I would consider Oak Park, especially the Harrison St. Arts District. TONS of dogs in that area, close to 290, lots of coffee shops/galleries. It's an introvert's idea of heaven, IMO. It's also a pretty central location to both airports and a short (but traffic-y) jaunt down 290 to Oak Brook Terrace. Also, you can take the blue/green line into the city with ease.

There is an okay dog park in Oak Park and one just across Harlem in Forest Park. Like I said though, it's a very dog-friendly town. Lots of day care/dog walking services as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs