U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 AM

259 posts, read 983,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
You're right, Jack straws a close second! And Vitorio's- we like the window too. Can't believe how packed it gets. Wish it were bigger but then it would proabaly loose it's charm. People come there from the city by train! Very, very good. I'm sure it will be more crowded since you and I plugged it on this thread! It's worth every bit of the 2 hour wait.
Jack Straws is nice, I used to go there to get a slice of Pizza if I was in town, it was so convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM

610 posts, read 1,731,098 times
A friend and I were discussing Jack Straws this week and does anyone remember where they were before they moved to their current location? In the late 70's early 80's their location was a Craigin Federal Bank drive thru. I remember when Jack Straws moved in but for the life of me I can't remember where they were before that? That place made out like bandits when Wheaton Central HS was still in town. We would walk there for lunch several times a week. For $2.56 you could get a hot dog, fries and drink and still make it back to class on time! Oh, the good old days

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 AM

1,367 posts, read 3,354,219 times
Breakfast - Dali's Cafe - Downer's Grove

The BEST breakfast restaurant around. Their Dali's French Toast on cinnamon bread with apples is amazing. There is hardly ever a wait for a table, even on weekends, and the waitstaff is great! I am so sad I am moving out of state, I will miss this place!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
In the South/Southwest 'burbs:

Fast Food: Pop's (better beef and better fries than Portillo's, honestly)
Breakfast: Lume's (original in Palos Heights is my favorite)
BBQ: Exsenator's in Markham is amazing, Smokin Joe's in Palos Hts. is very good
Ice cream: Plush Horse in Palos Park, unless you're the slightest bit lactose intolerant, cuz this ain't no soft-serve.
YES PLUSH HORSE!!! Great ice cream, and nice little old fashioned house too which is cool to look around when you're in there. I think the house is from the 1800's. The ice cream shoppe is located on the south-east corner of 127th St and 86th Ave if I'm not mistaken.

I also wanted to recommend a breakfast place I just found. I got a skillet Saturday morning weighing about 4 lbs loaded with tons of meat and veggies for $8! I couldn't believe how much food you get there at such a low price!The restaurant is called Meile and is located in the strip mall on the southwest corner of 159th Street and Wolf Road in Orland Park. The restaurant is rather upscale too just to let yall know. http://www.cafemiele.com/

I also wanted to name a couple of my favs for pizza. Check out Traverso's on Wheeler Drive and Harlem Ave in Orland Park. Great thin crust pizza. Also if you like the thin crust pizza, take a look at Ed and Joe's in Tinley Park on 173rd and Oak Park Ave. Ed and Joe's was rated number 1 for best pizza in the Chicago suburbs by a pole in the Chicago Trib a few years ago. They have the postings in the restaurant. There's a really nice bar and the bar has live bands that play on the weekends not to mention there is outdoor seating to enjoy these hot summer nights, and a very pleasant dining room area as well as a small party room. http://www.ednjoes.com/

Great Italian food anyone??? Check this place out. WOW WAS IT GOOD! http://www.miafrancesca.com/index.asp

Last edited by NYrules; 07-28-2008 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM

4,386 posts, read 9,565,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules;

Great Italian food anyone??? Check this place out. WOW WAS IT GOOD! [url=http://www.miafrancesca.com/index.asp
The Family of Francesca Restaurants in Chicago and the Surrounding Suburbs.[/url]
I agree,never had a bad meal there. They now have about a dozen of their places all over the burbs.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM

142 posts, read 280,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
YES PLUSH HORSE!!! Great ice cream, and nice little old fashioned house too which is cool to look around when you're in there. I think the house is from the 1800's. The ice cream shoppe is located on the south-east corner of 127th St and 86th Ave if I'm not mistaken.
It certainly is one of a kind.

Just a slight correction: It's on the SE corner of 123rd and 86th Ave.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:47 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
It certainly is one of a kind.

Just a slight correction: It's on the SE corner of 123rd and 86th Ave.
YES sorry about that. That intersection near there of the on ramps to SW Highway and coming off there all the time always gets me all twisted around as to what street I'm on.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM

37 posts, read 102,244 times
I love Indian food and the best Indian restaurant I have ever eaten at is "The Taj Mahal" in Orland Park, right off of LaGrange. Very good food and the owners of the place are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs