Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 AM

28 posts, read 119,239 times

Advertisements

Wanderlust, let us know how your trip went when you get back.

I've driven through Green Trails many times and I've always thought it's a very inviting neighborhood. The areas around it (Seven Bridges, Benedictine University, etc.) are safe. This area has fairly easy access to 88 and 355 too, an added bonus for getting around. Not the largest lots in the world but lots of old growth trees and not out in the sticks like Elburn or Sugar Grove (not that there's anything wrong with living out there if you choose to go further out!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 6,094 times
Default Back from 1st visit!

Returned last night from my 1st visit to Chicago. Sorry for the long post. This post is as disorganized as my thoughts are at this point. Lots of conflicting emotions about the pending move. This is really big-city living again (NYC) with lots of traffic, interstates and so many different areas. I realize it will be a couple more trips to see all the areas we need to check out.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Naperville/Warrenville. I did like Naperville, but it is big and the commute from a more affordable home in the south/southwest areas could be a nightmare. We were really taken back with an area east of downtown that was a neighborhood of teardowns and mansions. Am I correct in assuming that most of the older small homes for sale will be bought by developers and torn down?

We took the METRA from Naperville into Chicago on Saturday and spent the afternoon at Navy Pier. I look forward to visiting Millenium Park on the next trip. I thought the METRA was fine even though it was not the express train, but know that parking for the train during the week would be a hassle.

I liked the idea of living in Lisle (seemed to be quieter, less traffic) and having access to Naperville nearby. Drove by a couple of houses on Tealwood in Green Trails, south of the Benedictine University area and like the walking path and park right behind the houses.

Spent quite some time driving around Sugar Grove. Loved the Bliss Woods area and even drove by some homes in the low to mid 300's that seemed like they would work.

Was disappointed that I really did not like Montgomery as that had seemed like a good choice for more house for my money. I also imagine the commute on 59 or Orchard Rd(?) would be rough.

My husband has been so busy in his job, that he had not really been west of Glen Ellyn, where he is staying. And of course he heard lots at work about how we'd be crazy to even consider anywhere out on I-88 west. So when I arrived, he had made up his mind against any western suburbs. A drive thru Naperville on Saturday to get to the train made him reconsider, but he still hasn't seen Sugar Grove. I-88 west is a horror show. Is there a timetable for completion of construction there?

I commandeered his GPS for the week and actually drove alone from Naperville to Palatine on Friday night to meet him for dinner at a friend's home. That was the moment when I realized what a change this was from my current hassle-free transportation requirements. Driving is a lot like it is in NYC--aggressive and fast-paced.

Am I missing out by not really considering the northwest suburbs? Nothing seemed to catch my eye there (did not like what I saw of Palatine).

One thing we did decide is that we need to keep exploring different areas because we will let where I get a job decide where we will live. I am not up to a daily commute to the Marriott Schaumburg, e.g., from a Naperville or Sugar Grove location. I am lucky, though, that there are a number of Marriott properties in the greater Chicago area.

Thanks again for the input. So much more to see and learn!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
My comment is about weeping willow trees. I love them, but they have vvery deep roots that like septics and sewer systems which is why I don't have a yard full.

Good luck with your hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs