Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM

70 posts, read 210,173 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I'm officially starting my housing hunt and wanted to get some feedback on which suburbs you feel offer the best cycling, running and dog walking areas? Access to parks, nice wide sidewalks...etc.

I will be renting ( around the $1200-$1400 a month range) and I'm using Oakbrook Terrace as my epicenter. I'm coming up next weekend to tour some suburbs and need some places to investigate.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 AM

216 posts, read 723,847 times
Any suburb by the prairie paths (bike-running-walking trails) would be a great fit. Near Oakbrook Terrace there are apartments or townhomes along the path in Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, etc... You may want to start in those areas.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Smile Thanks Emmi605!

I appreciate it!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
I agree with the Prairie Path suggestion. The PP is a great way to run, walk a dog and while many people do cycle on it, it is more for the leisurely bike ride not "road bike cycling". DuPage county has several dog parks and several forest preserves that allow dogs. Not sure if you are a cyclist but there are two large groups out of the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area that cycle out west through FermiLab and out to the far west burbs. If OT is your target point I'd check out Elmhurst, Lombard, Glen Ellyn Wheaton, Warrenville since they are close to Butterfield Rd/88 and have access to the PP and great parks. AMLI apartments off Butterfield in Wheaton are very nice and would have great access to what you are looking for. There is a nice forest preserve across the street with paths/trails and close to Spokes Bike shop that has an active cycling group. Good luck to you.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
The Salt Creek Trail is not as extensive as the Prairie Path, but in some ways nicer due to the fact that it is a paved trail that runs through forest preserve. It starts at Bemus Woods South and runs along Salt Creek to Brookfield Zoo.

When I lived in La Grange I ran there all the time, both with and without dog. It was very cool to see deer and racoons in the woods in the morning, and then jump on the train and be at work in the Loop.

The suburbs it passes through are Western Springs, Westchester, La Grange Park and Brookfield, and finding good rentals should not be terribly difficult in any of them. Riverside is nearby, too. All of those towns are easy to bike around, and Riverside, in particular, is pretty spectacular on two wheels.

Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Elburn, etc, have lots of biking trails available.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Talking Thanks so much!

Thanks for all the info! I'm touring the area this weekend and actually looking at the AMLI in Wheaton!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
The Vinings on the other side of Naperville Road are nice rentals too - they may be a bit more expensive but they are nice. Welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs