U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,637,888 times

Advertisements

Pace buses used to stop outside a mall entrance at Yorktown Center. Then they moved to a stop out in the middle of the parking lot. Not a big deal, people in cars also have to walk from the parking lot. Now, however, Yorktown management has refused regular Pace buses from entering Yorktown at all. Passengers will have to hike from Butterfield Rd. or Finley Rd., which is not the most pedestrian friendly area, especially in inclement weather, which happens from time to time in Chicago. I can't help but see racism here, with most buses coming from the inner suburbs or Joliet. This is a very short sighted policy change from Yorktown management. Without a car, there is a good chance people using transit will spend more at the mall, since it is difficult to go around to different big box stores to comparison shop. Five dollar a gallon gas might not be a bad thing, to get more people out of cars and onto transit, which might get people to consider accommodating those without cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 PM

2,345 posts, read 4,929,396 times
Default Hard Truth

It may be racism, however, people without cars are probably not going to spend the kind of money in the stores that people driving a car will.

I wonder if this policy has cut down on shop lifting and overall theft and crime.

Let's face it, malls are catering to those who can afford to drive to the mall, regardless of skin color.

It is like the Wal-Mart that opened in the Austin neighborhood in Chicago, near me in Humboldt Park. That stores loses money and does fewer sales per square foot than other Wal-Marts. You have high rates of theft from both employees and customers. One of the ladies on my block works there. They all receive $300 quarterly bonus if they can keep thefts below a certain level. This bonus has never been paid in 2 years of her working there. I don't see Wal-Mart pulling out anytime soon due to political pressures but you don't exactly see them in a hurry to open other Chicago stores, big box ordinance or not.

It is just not profitable for most retailers, particularly high-end ones to cater to poor people. When even Wal-Mart, which is pretty low-end is having problems why should we make Yorktown Mall cater to the same group and lose money?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM

1,060 posts, read 2,366,116 times
I wouln't call it racism. Maybe income discrimination. I'd want to know why they are discouraging the buses. Too many teenagers who hang out and don't spend money would be my guess.

Everyone's money is green.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

132 posts, read 357,086 times
Even racist business owners love to have minorities shop in their stores, if it means more profit. If a business doesn't want a bus stop, who cares? It's their business. If it's so racist and unprofitable, as you assume, then other businesses in the area will probably make up for it. You're talking as if you know better how to manage the place than the actual management.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,403,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Even racist business owners love to have minorities shop in their stores, if it means more profit. If a business doesn't want a bus stop, who cares? It's their business. If it's so racist and unprofitable, as you assume, then other businesses in the area will probably make up for it. You're talking as if you know better how to manage the place than the actual management.
Yeah, but its not individual stores. I am assuming this is a decision the property management has made for the entire mall. I

t seems very counter-intuitive to me that they would make coming to the mall harder. I mean its not like the buses are taking up spaces where the car drivers would otherwise park! I wonder if its a knee jerk reaction to something weird that happened.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 PM

1,060 posts, read 2,366,116 times
I wouldn't shop at a mall that had buses cruising around the perimeter of the parking lot. It seems dangerous to me.

ETA: Fron the Naperville Sun

The decision to keep the buses from the premises, she said, was one of safety.
"We feel that it's not safe to drop off riders where they were being dropped off," Burke said. Since 1970, Burke said, buses have been driving on mall property. In the past buses would stop immediately adjacent to JCPenney. For the past few years, the bus has been stopping in Penney's parking lot, Wilmot said. But in May the mall proposed a new location adjacent to the ring road. However, Pace said a site review deemed it inappropriate.

Last edited by Anthera; 08-05-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,637,888 times
Since 1970. We're going on 40 years here. How many people have died since then because of buses? Injured? Wet their pants in fear? Good thing it took only 4 decades to eliminate this grave and dire threat to the community. Now, if they can only eliminate the carnage at all the other malls that have buses pull up to the mall entrance. How many more people have to die at Woodfield and Ford City before this madness stops!!!

(note: sarcasm in use)

Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM

220 posts, read 473,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I wouldn't shop at a mall that had buses cruising around the perimeter of the parking lot. It seems dangerous to me.
I think dangerous is a bit of an overstatement. I guess you would never shop @ North Riverside Park Mall (closest mall to Oak Park)

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,044,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
I think dangerous is a bit of an overstatement. I guess you would never shop @ North Riverside Park Mall (closest mall to Oak Park)
I would not.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,697,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Since 1970. We're going on 40 years here. How many people have died since then because of buses? Injured? Wet their pants in fear? Good thing it took only 4 decades to eliminate this grave and dire threat to the community. Now, if they can only eliminate the carnage at all the other malls that have buses pull up to the mall entrance. How many more people have to die at Woodfield and Ford City before this madness stops!!!

(note: sarcasm in use)
dude, I get run over by the bus almost every day.
after a while you just get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs