Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM

92 posts, read 512,243 times

Advertisements

We did drive by yesterday, but there is road construction work going on at the Hawley/Chevy Chase intersection now, and it looked like the mailbox had been moved to an off-road location. Because of the construction, we could not get close enough to see if there was a house number on the box.

However, I remembered that Lake County has an online tax parcel map, and according to what I found there, the address of the house is 20880 W Hawley St, Mundelein, ILL 60060.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,699 times
I was excited to read about your search for the childhood home where you grew up, Bette. My husband and I nearly bought a home in the Countryside Lake subdivision in the Spring of 2004. We fell in love with the neighborhood, the homes and the beautiful lake. I just discovered tonight that Countryside Lake itself is a manmade lake that was formed in the 1920's by power magnate Samuel Insull. Insull was very rich, having worked with Thomas Edison and then went on to control Commonwealth Edison. He also built a home south of Libertyville that is now known as the Cuneo Museum.
To make a long story short, as we were looking for a home to purchase in Countryside Lake ... I discovered that a large home -- surrounded by a golf course -- was for sale. My husband went and was given a tour by the owner. It was a wonderful house, he said. Although it wasn't right for our family, I often think about it and wonder if it was ever sold. It was one of a kind!
The story of how you left your home touched my heart. I hope that you are able to visit it again. I'll do some research to see if I can help you locate it.
Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM

Smile Countryside Lake House, Mundelein - Address

Hello again,

According to the Lake County property tax assessments, your former home was sold on 8/27/2004. Records also indicate that the house was built in 1932, just six years after Samuel Insull had Countryside Lake formed.

As for the exact address, this is a bit tricky ... the long and winding driveway to your home (which is located in the middle of the golf course) begins at the intersection of W. Lakeview Parkway and N. Countryside Lake Drive. The driveway runs East and then North until it reaches the house. At some point, the driveway takes on a name of its own: N. Northwest Parkway. The tax records list the address as 27322 N. Northwest Parkway.

This is an exceptional home and location. I can understand why you have such vivid memories and would like to visit it again. By the way, during what years did you live here?

If you need additional directions, I can help.

Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 AM

Default This is the correct location of your home ....

Bette,

The aerial map photo that was sent to you may not be the house that you are looking for ... in fact, I'm sure it's not, since that house is located right along Route 83, and North of Hawley Street. The driveway is short and accessed directly from Route 83, which is a busy street.

I know this area well and I believe that the house you have described which IS located in the middle of the golf course is actually this house:

[url=http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuY291bnRyeXNpZGUrZ29sZitjb3Vyc2UrbXVuZGVsZ WluK2lsJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTU0LjM2Nzc1ODUyNDA 2ODQlN2UtNjAuOTA4MjAzMTI1JTdlMjYuODI0MDcwNzgwNDcwM iU3ZS0xMTUuMDQ4ODI4MTI1]Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible[/url]

I just hope that the web address isn't too long for this message!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 AM

I'm so sorry that the web address was too much for the message.

I haven't had any luck plugging the address into the mapping websites, perhaps because it is the only house on its "street"/driveway.

Anyhow, I'm sure I know which house was yours, Bette. I wish that I could help you to see it again.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 AM

Okay, after all this ... I'm not sure. I took another look and re-read your messages.

I do want you to know that there is ANOTHER house that is built smack dab in the middle of the golf course ... only on the other side of Hawley Street.

Sorry for the confusion if your house was on the North side, rather than the South side of Hawley.

Good Luck finding the right house!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,272 times
I've only been a resident of Mundelein for 11 years, but I never knew there were homes within the golf course. Interesting.

There isn't much to see here in Mundelein. As a single mom, it was an inexpensive area to raise my children. There are a few upper class areas, but mostly middle to lower class income. The main roads from border to border are run down, and the village doesn't seem force citizens living on these roads to keep their property neat or clean.

I live in an older well-established area south of the downtown area. There is a house behind mine which has 7 dead oak trees in the back yard. My friends and family can't believe the village hasn't severly fined this resident and/or forced him to remove these dead trees.

The north end of Mundelein has been fast growing the past couple years. Rte 60, North of Rte 176 is now a very built-up retail area.

It's alway nice to visit a childhood home. If you get this chance, I hope you enjoy the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs