U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM

3,383 posts, read 2,680,003 times

Advertisements

Lol people base there decisions on what they hear. I grew up in Bolingbrook and lived on the Eastside("crappier side") until I was 18. I then moved to the westside and still had no issues. I never had a single problem, saw any drug dealings, or heard gun shots.....people over exaggerate. It has grown tremendously over the years and more people are realizing its a nice suburb. I think people assume its bad because they look at its next dorr neighbor(Naperville) and see its a dump comparitively. It also has a bad rap because of what it was when it first started out. I went to BHS, the old BHS and I am white and I wasn't in a gang. It was never an issue, I saw two fights all four years I was there, fights are going to happen thats just the way it is. Everybody was cool with everyone and sure there is going to be a few people that hate each other but that's any school. I would advise against Naperville unless you have a high income and like stuck up people. Plainfield is overrated and it is half the size of Bolingbrook but has three(?) high schools. Plainfield schools aren't that good either, at least Central and South aren't. I had a friends who went to both and said they both sucked. Joliet has some ghetto areas but the Westside is nice. Romeoville in my opinion is a dump, the newer area by 55 and Weber is decent and flows right into an Industrial Park in Bolingbrook. The older area off of 53 is a run down pos. If you need any advice from someone who lived in Bolingbrook for a long long time then send me a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM

196 posts, read 681,438 times
Bolingbrook is wonderful and a diverse community. I loved there for 7 years and would love to go back. I am stuck in Rockford area now, and not sure I could afford to go back there. I loved the Town. The bad reputation is from over 20 years ago when they were one of the first suburbs to have subsidized housing. Yet, many white middle class moved there then and made a killing in real estate. The taxes get high past Weber road, but the schools were great till you hit high school.
The worst parts of Bolingbrook are way better than Maywood, or Joliet or Romeoville for that matter.
The gangs are wanna be's.... no known gangbangers in Bolingbrook. They only come through Bolingbrook from the City, through Downers and onto Joliet. I'd return to Bolingbrook in a heartbeat....

Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM

196 posts, read 681,438 times
I agree with everything Matty says and was there and raised my son alone for many years.
We also were on the east side of town, alot more blacks.... but my son got real close to alot of them. In fact truth be told, I think he has more black friends than white. I am glad he was raised in a mixed community where the color of the skin mean't nothing. I could not stand Plainfield or Naperville.

Bolingbrook has a great leader....his daughter actually runs a program for kids so they stay out of trouble.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Thank you for saying that. I find it laughable when some people on here consider Bolingbrook bad with gangs and crime. I from Harvey, and Bolingbrook is nowhere near economically bad as Harvey, Cicero, parts of Chicago Heights, Maywood, Ford Heights and other suburbs that got it worser than Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook don't know how lucky they are compare to other Chicago suburbs that have it worse. At least Bolingbrook have a mall/shopping area, while Harvey, Chicago Heights, Maywood, Cicero and other depressed suburbs don't have the things Bolingbrook have.
It's true the suburbs you mentioned are considered "bad", but as a Maywood resident, I have to say it is up to the people who live there to do their part. My family moved into Maywood,despite all the negative comments we recieved, and working with the police department we had some serious drug traffickers REMOVED! There are still drug dealers, and prostitutes which make the overall opinion of Maywood look really "bad", but we choose to stay and do something about the problems, instead of moving to that "perfect little surburbia". I'm sure other places like OAK PARK, or ELMHURST are better communities overall, But eventually, you may face some obstacles.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 23,899 times
Default Don't let Ikea fool you it's not a great place.

Let me preface this by informing you that I grew up in Bolingbrook from the 3rd grade until I graduated high school and still have friends who live in the area.

Bolingbrook, although it certainly does try, is NOT a safe town by any means. I have seen more drug deals, fights, and domestic disturbances than I care to remember growing up. My parents moved from an inner suburb thinking it would be a better life for the family. Although we had a huge house for what we paid (that's what sucked them in) I would never raise my kids here nor purchase a home here. Our home got broken into three times and this was supposedly on the nicer west part of town. At BHS I witnessed beatdowns, daily fights, and general mayham. Take a look at the Illinois School report card and notice the below average test scores and high percentage of low income students. Many school also struggle with huge student turnover as Bolingbrook tends to have a more transient population than it's surrounding towns.

The weirdest memory I have is being a high school freshman talking to the gudience officer regarding what collages to look at and being told that although I was an honor roll student I should consider vocational school. Mind you I had nearly straight A's in honor roll classes. That was the mentality there. Just earn a living and get a job right out of high school. Also, it seemed that many residents HATED Chicago with a passion. When I announced I wanted to go to school there I was literally told by neighbors that I should consider going downstate because Chicago was "a dying ghetto with nothing to offer someone in their collage years."

I noticed that most people that moved in were from either Chicago, Joliet, or from out of town. You never saw anyone moving in from places like Plainfield, Naperville, Downers Grove etc. They knew better than to invest in Bolingbrook.

On a positive note there is a lot of pride in Bolingbrook toward the town. Many residents (including my parents) will probably get upset after reading this post but I am telling it like it is. I do miss all the shopping and the diversity of the residents. For someone in a lower income bracket Bolingbrook would probably be more attractive option than lets say Harvey or Calumet City. Nicer than Naperville etc? Seriously, who are you trying to kid?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 AM

9,606 posts, read 9,602,586 times
It's real simple. Bolingbrook has "Messicans" and "Knee Grows". And Napervillians don't like Messicans and Knee Grows. Sure, some of them voted for Obama. But when have NIMBY types ever liked anyone that makes less than 70,000 a year?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,932,696 times
Bolingbrook is a suburb of 70,000 people, with a median household income of $79,000 and a poverty percentage of 5.2%. How in the world is this suburb consider ghetto or bad? Not to mention, Bolingbrook have a crime rate below the national average and 0 murders in 2006. I understand Bolingbrook is no Naperville, but it is nowhere near being labeled bad/ghetto.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,706,743 times
Housing stock in Bolingbrook was great from a landlord-tenant perspective for a while, but as new construction in Plainfield during the "boom" took off there was pull of the better tenants into ownership. That shifted as mortgage rates and qualifications became too good to be true. The stuff west of Weber Rd is much pricier on average than the eastern stuff.
Like any town it is facing some challenges with the downturn, and the distance from Chicago and other employment centers is a mixed blessing, more resilient to crime increases than inner burbs, better affordability, tougher to find acceptable re-employment in the event of job loss.

The large retail employment base is a mixed bag too -- low wages, easy entry is offset by tendancy of retail employers to cut hours in a downturn. People might not get sacked, but their earning will be cut and they might not be inline for unemployment...

The west side of Bolingbrook is also home to numerous warehouse / freight companies. A downturn in consumer spending and prolonged ill health among the automakers hurts that sector badly.

I don't doubt that there is some crime, but there are far less safe places to live.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 18,112,931 times
This is exactly why a good location close to to downtown is the way to go. All of these suburbs are constantly cycling from good to bad, and the chase continues to another cornfield further out from the city. To hell with that. At least when you live close to the Loop, they can never take that away from you!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 AM

21,616 posts, read 36,706,743 times
Default The other side of "close to Loop"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This is exactly why a good location close to to downtown is the way to go. All of these suburbs are constantly cycling from good to bad, and the chase continues to another cornfield further out from the city. To hell with that. At least when you live close to the Loop, they can never take that away from you!
For a short while, after 9/11, there was a very negative feeling toward the Loop, or central business district of any large metro area. Even know the crazy survivalists types are looking for "low cost land far away from anything" to ride out the "huge DEPRESSION of 2009-20xx".

Personally I think they're nuts, but it is another perspective. Bolingbrook doesn't have too many 'farmettes', but I suspect it would be easier to till up the yard and grow SOMETHING than it would in an inner-burb or the CIty itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs