Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

There are also nurse-midwives available at Northwestern (i.e. Prentice Women's Hospital) who are hooked in with a doctor's practice. It might not be a bad option for someone who wants "natural" childbirth, but still wants some degree of medical backup if something goes wrong. But Prentice does have a pretty normal C-section rate (I think they are two or three percent the national average), and that is too high for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,251 times
I have to agree with the citizenship comment previously posted. I bet you can deliver for cheaper, at a smaller hospital but chances are the quality is better in places like Northwestern, or UOC.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 PM

132 posts, read 461,039 times
Wow! Those prices sound pretty cheap compared to MI. My first delivery (in hospital) was $7000 and that was 7 years ago. My last birth in May was $1500. That was for a midwife-attended homebirth and I know my MW is one of the cheapest in the entire state. I have imagine that hospital prices have gone up since my birth there...

And people keep telling me everything in Chicago is more expensive.

I do need a well-woman care provider, though. Still trying to find a MW in Chicago that is covered by our insurance!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessatar View Post
Wow! Those prices sound pretty cheap compared to MI. My first delivery (in hospital) was $7000 and that was 7 years ago. My last birth in May was $1500. That was for a midwife-attended homebirth and I know my MW is one of the cheapest in the entire state. I have imagine that hospital prices have gone up since my birth there...

And people keep telling me everything in Chicago is more expensive.

I do need a well-woman care provider, though. Still trying to find a MW in Chicago that is covered by our insurance!
I don't think it's cheaper in Chicago. It's just a matter of insurance.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
I have had two normal delivery births in a western suburb hospital. Both deliveries cost about 8k with all hospital and OB fees. I must have really good insurance because I think my out of pocket was a few hundred bucks!

I definately think the citizenship aspect of this should be considered.

Welcome to the US!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 PM

76 posts, read 219,956 times
I had a baby at St. Alexius last summer and it was about $10,000 and I paid around $300 out of pocket, which includes the hospital and the doctor. St. Alexius was phenomenal .

Congrats!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM

109 posts, read 261,875 times
Canada

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,651 times
I recently delivered at Women's Prentice (Northwestern Hospital). The bill for delivery would have been $9,000.00 if we did not have insurance and paid out of pocket.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,034 times
i want to labour my child in montereal canada can he recive the canadian passport immediatley canadian citizenship how much it cost for the labour now in hospital

Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM

42 posts, read 109,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
it would be easy to set up dual citizenship with Canada. If he/she is born in Canada, the path to U.S. citizenship will be more complicated (if that's something that you could see as beneficial).
Beware that this is no longer the case if you have an American baby. A new law was recently passed that makes it harder for first generation children of Canadians born outside of Canada to get citizenship. If you and your husband are planning to live for awhile in the US and apply for a green card, then it would actually make sense to have your baby in Canada to ensure Canadian citizenship. It would then be easy to apply for your child when you apply for a US green card or sponsor him/her if your husband already has it. However, if you have your baby in the US, the new Canadian law expects that you will reside in Canada once your child is a permanent resident. See here: Frequently asked questions: Applying for citizenship (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/cit-rules-faq07.asp - broken link)

I hate this new law!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs