Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 21,804 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what the latest news/update is for the Rt 53 expansion? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
There was an article a couple weeks ago about the extension. The objecting communities (Long Grove, Hawthorn Woods) the communities favoring it and environmentalists have come up with a compromise. A 4 lane, limited access tollway with sound barriers, landscaping and below grade sections to mitigate noise. Very limited interchanges; the first 2 going north from Lake Cook Rd are Rte 22 and Midlothian Rd, 45 MPH speed limit. There was also discussion about tightening up zoning around the highway to keep an explosion of strip malls and housing developments from popping up.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
There was an article a couple weeks ago about the extension. The objecting communities (Long Grove, Hawthorn Woods) the communities favoring it and environmentalists have come up with a compromise. A 4 lane, limited access tollway with sound barriers, landscaping and below grade sections to mitigate noise. Very limited interchanges; the first 2 going north from Lake Cook Rd are Rte 22 and Midlothian Rd, 45 MPH speed limit. There was also discussion about tightening up zoning around the highway to keep an explosion of strip malls and housing developments from popping up.
This sounds like a silly compromise. It should really just be six lanes of I-355 all the way north, and then east to connect to I-94. "Community input" in this case is really screwing things up, as normal, since the idiots are usually the most vocal people making demands.

But, I guess this is better than nothing... Now if only they can figure out how to fund it.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I wouldn't pay big money in tolls to only go 45 [of course the speed limits on the tollways are generally ignored]. 4 lanes aren't enough either.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This sounds like a silly compromise. It should really just be six lanes of I-355 all the way north, and then east to connect to I-94. "Community input" in this case is really screwing things up, as normal, since the idiots are usually the most vocal people making demands.

But, I guess this is better than nothing... Now if only they can figure out how to fund it.
I disagree. 6 lanes like 355 is too wide of a footprint. The only way the NIMBYS will agree to it is if it is small in scope. With very few interchanges and no stop lights or cross roads I think it will work to alleviate traffic off of surface roads like Rte 83, Old Mchenry and Gilmer without being a behemoth. Think in terms of a mini-expressway like Palatine Rd between Wheeling Rd and Sanders. A road can be small in scope and still move traffic. Doesn't always have to built to "Interstate" standards.
Funding would be via tolls.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
While I doubt it will be built, I believe a parkway would be desirable. Check out some of the parkways in NY and NJ. Lots of grass, no billboards, even the cell towers disguised as trees.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I disagree. 6 lanes like 355 is too wide of a footprint. The only way the NIMBYS will agree to it is if it is small in scope.
From the standpoint of the entire metro area, it makes a lot more sense to have this road be a fully-integrated part of the interstate system, connecting 290/355 with 94. I realize that this "parkway" is more popular with NIMBY opposition, but they are acting in their self-interest (understandably so). I'm talking about what this really should be in the absence of NIMBY opposition--and that's a true 6-lane Interstate or Tollway. There are millions of people in the western/nortwestern suburbs that have no direct route north unless they go east all the way to east to 294 or 94, and those are real traffic choke points.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 11-19-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I used to work in the area near the end of the current expressway. I have very mixed feelings about the value of extending a true expressway along the 53 corridor. There are obviously more people that want to travel north on Rand Rd (Rt 12) than the capacity of the road. The various commercial developments in that part of the region are not uniformly successful and some of the challenges about why they are not probably has to do with the difficulty of getting around. The various differences in the relative affluence of folks in areas served by Stevenson or Liberrtyville schools is sharply contrasted by folks in Mundelein. Lake Zurich is between the two and probably has the most to gain / give up depending on what sort of development happens along with the extension.

The thing is if you look at the 355 corridor through DuPage Co it would be hard to argue the tollway has been a uniform plus or minus -- it certainly seems to have improved access to things like the Ikea and Costco in Bolingbrook and given developers in the area south of that area some incentive to build more tract homes. Area in central & northern DuPage seem to have be much less changed. Sure, it make the travel from the Schaumburg area less of a hassle to places like Glen Ellyn or western Downers Grove, but it has also probably damped down demand for office space in places like Itasca or Addison...

It is undeniable that there are some really nice nature areas in Lake Co, I can sympathize with the folks that do not want to see more of the sprawl replace the little streams / ponds / wetlands that dot the area. The more rural style of development is definitely not going to appeal to density-loving urbanophiles but like most fads I suspect eventually the 'antidote' to the current craze will simply be time -- some percentage of goofs that think it is cool to cram into El cars will eventually realize a range of development options actually is far preferable to uniformly jam-packed area...

The toughest questions are what happens to the other areas further away from the corridor -- are folks that take 176 out to Marengo going to shift their commutes? Will that hurt or help with patterns of development?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
From the standpoint of the entire metro area, it makes a lot more sense to have this road be a fully-integrated part of the interstate system, connecting 290/355 with 94. I realize that this "parkway" is more popular with NIMBY opposition, but they are acting in their self-interest (understandably so). I'm talking about what this really should be in the absence of NIMBY opposition--and that's a true 6-lane Interstate or Tollway. There are millions of people in the western/nortwestern suburbs that have no direct route north unless they go east all the way to east to 294 or 94, and those are real traffic choke points.
having cycled many of the roads in the area and getting a real feel for the area, I disagree. They are trying to avoid the overall suburbanization like in DuPage and strike a better balance. What you propose would be like building an interstate highway through Wayne; it would really destroy the feel of the area. I used to have the same opinion, but have come to appreciate the slow steady approach that protects the more rural feel of the area instead of the "let's make a quick buck and put up as many homes and strip malls as possible" mentality.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
having cycled many of the roads in the area and getting a real feel for the area, I disagree. They are trying to avoid the overall suburbanization like in DuPage and strike a better balance. What you propose would be like building an interstate highway through Wayne; it would really destroy the feel of the area. I used to have the same opinion, but have come to appreciate the slow steady approach that protects the more rural feel of the area instead of the "let's make a quick buck and put up as many homes and strip malls as possible" mentality.
I think either road will have the same effect on the so-called "rural character". Development will pop up along the interchanges regardless of the "parkway" or "tollway" designation. The question is whether the new road will be able to handle the increased traffic or not. This isn't simply taking existing traffic off of highway 12. It is providing a route north for DuPage and north Cook Counties as an alternate to 294, which is too far east to be convenient to many people.

There are a lot of people in DuPage and north Cook Counties that currently take 88 or 90 east to 294 to go north to 94, and this new road will divert some portion of that traffic away from some pretty terribly congested roads. For me in Glen Ellyn it's only a few minutes more to go north on 355 to 290 to 53 to Lake Cook Rd to 94 on with the EXISTING configuration than it is for me to take 88 to 294... This new road would clearly tilt that balance towards the 53 extension by several minutes.

I also think it makes sense to better connect the populous western suburbs and job centers to the populous northern suburbs and job centers in Lake County. The western leg of the I-88 corridor has a lot of population and jobs, as does the northern leg of the I-94 corridor. Currently it's hard to drive between the two areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs