U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
 
10,686 posts, read 18,275,296 times
Reputation: 3591

Advertisements

Talk about the old Hillside "Strangler" in another thread got me thinking about another ridiculous freeway bottle-neck in Chicago--the eastbound on-ramp connecting the Edens Spur to the Edens Expressway. Why in the name of Steve-O does a major Interstate highway go down to one lane in this day and age? It's not the most heavily traveled route in Chicagoland, but there's really no reason for the silly design that exists there. Has there ever been talk of fixing this? It's been bothering me for decades.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Hollywood/Brookfield, IL
677 posts, read 3,106,652 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Why in the name of Steve-O
You crack me up

But to answer your question, I haven't heard anything but I do agree that it's ridiculous. I've been in traffic on the spur backed up almost to Waukegan Rd because of the lane reduction and the Edens construction, and that was on a Saturday. I don't want to know what rush hour looks like.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,463 posts, read 6,380,889 times
Reputation: 2656
Long time ago, it was 2 lanes from the spur merging into 3 lanes on the Edens. You have one lane that merges immediately into traffic without an acceleration/merging lane. Very dangerous especially as traffic increased. 2 solutions:
1) make Edens 1 lane and let 2 lanes merge from spur. Only trades one traffic headache for another.
2) widen southbound Edens to 5 lanes from Spur all the way to Tower Rd. Have lane #5 end south of Dundee entrance ramps and make lane #4 exit only lane at Tower. Why so far? Because of entrance ramps from Dundee rd. All this does is push the bottleneck farther down.
I doubt it will happen soon because of state budget deficit.
Really, the strangler untangler did help somewhat, but actually just pushed the bottleneck farther down to east of Mannheim.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM
 
1,464 posts, read 3,746,530 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Talk about the old Hillside "Strangler" in another thread got me thinking about another ridiculous freeway bottle-neck in Chicago--the eastbound on-ramp connecting the Edens Spur to the Edens Expressway. Why in the name of Steve-O does a major Interstate highway go down to one lane in this day and age? It's not the most heavily traveled route in Chicagoland, but there's really no reason for the silly design that exists there. Has there ever been talk of fixing this? It's been bothering me for decades.
Why? Because you are not living in an area where intelligence in the DOT office is known to be the case. Why is there no interchange at 294 and 57? Why did IDOT put La Grange Road of which they had all the land totally cleared for back to it's original two lane in each direction design knowing that its over capacity, why is the Stevenson (the main route out to the FASTEST growing area in the state (Will County) still of it's 1960s design of only 3 piddly little lanes on each side with a shoulder on the left hand side (inner lanes) at least 2 lanes wide AND ITS PAVED... AS IN READY TO DRIVE ON? Why when construction is going on up around Touhy and 294 does IDOT feel the need to put up the blockade barrels for 20 miles in each direction where NO work is being done? WHY? IDOT, just one I short of IDIOT!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 5,742,509 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Why? Because you are not living in an area where intelligence in the DOT office is known to be the case. Why is there no interchange at 294 and 57? Why did IDOT put La Grange Road of which they had all the land totally cleared for back to it's original two lane in each direction design knowing that its over capacity, why is the Stevenson (the main route out to the FASTEST growing area in the state (Will County) still of it's 1960s design of only 3 piddly little lanes on each side with a shoulder on the left hand side (inner lanes) at least 2 lanes wide AND ITS PAVED... AS IN READY TO DRIVE ON? Why when construction is going on up around Touhy and 294 does IDOT feel the need to put up the blockade barrels for 20 miles in each direction where NO work is being done? WHY? IDOT, just one I short of IDIOT!
What's the update on the 57/294 situation? Are 'the wheels in motion' to do something about this?

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of a ramp to go from Edens SB to Kennedy WB?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,463 posts, read 6,380,889 times
Reputation: 2656
Quote:
why is the Stevenson (the main route out to the FASTEST growing area in the state (Will County) still of it's 1960s design of only 3 piddly little lanes on each side with a shoulder on the left hand side (inner lanes) at least 2 lanes wide AND ITS PAVED... AS IN READY TO DRIVE ON?
My neighbor was an engineer on the portion between 294 & LSD. He said Mayor Daley did not want the extra inner lane, originally for HOV used so ridership on Orange Line would increase.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,463 posts, read 6,380,889 times
Reputation: 2656
Quote:
Am I the only one bothered by the lack of a ramp to go from Edens SB to Kennedy WB?
Nah, just exit Wilson turn North on Cicero and left on Lawrence. Much faster than Foster or Irving Park U-turn option.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top