Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Don't,
Very eloquent posts, spoken from the heart. I am not black so I have no ability to refute your statements. My ex- sister-in-law felt the same way about the area and they lived on Central St. in Evanston. However, she was quite paranoid and thought EVERYONE was out to get her. Again, perhaps, this is part of growing up black vs. white. I am saddened by the prejudism I run into occasionally. I think it's ingnorant and a knee jerk reaction to social problems people see, like gangs.
HOWEVER, Europe has it's prejudisms as well. The Turkish in Germany. The Arab/Muslims in England and the Algerians in France. Perhaps it's not as bad or perhaps people are slower to make quick knee-jerk judgements. I'm glad you found a place that fits you well. I enjoyed your posts, but I thought I would add a little perspective on your depictment of Europe.
Yes while i do not agree with some of his points,he has a right to post what he feels.Who am i to say that what he has experienced is not real.I as a black man who also has lived in Europe love Europe and its culture and people have seen glaring flaws there as well.Racism is not always directed at the same people as you stated.I recently had an french Algerian tenant and he would tell me how badly he is treated in France.The ghettos in Paris are an hour from the cities just so people do not have to see how badly the Arabs,Africans and other minority groups live.Many of these European countries are hypocrites as they critizie America for its problems while ignoring there own.Look up ghetto's in France in view the images in the search engine.WOW!!

America has not down right by its minorities but its by far the land of opportunity.Working hard will always get you to place where racism will be lessened with wealth and power.The world look in awe right now as we are about to be the first ever superpower in world history to elect a leader from a minority class.Many older African Americans are remembering the pain,the physical torture,verbal abuse that they had to endure on a daily basis just to get food at the grocery store.Tears in their eyes ,the emotion overwhelms them because they stuck it out ,raised there kids,put them in college and made sure they voted while every obstacle had been placed in front of the so they could not.

That said the country that gave me waht i have is my home as much as anybody else's.I WILL NEVER let anybody tell me I do not belong when so much blood was shed my people to make the American Dream not just an idea but a reality that we can more increasingly say is today become easier fro all of us to attain.The very racist people who are here still want you to do what you did and pack up and leave for good.
Europe is great and on the surface racism appears low to you,but all i wanna know is when will there be a Black in the immediate royal family?What if Prince William brought home Shene'ne' from Brixton?The grass is not always greener on the other side.That said you gotta live your life the best way you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 PM

7 posts, read 18,099 times
Dear Cubsoxfan;

Thank you for your "OBJECTIVE REPLY." As I wrote to the person who wants to move to the USA it is very important that he/she realizes this info. Beverly Hills(my old neighborhood) has always been a melting pot and the rock island train gets you downtown in minutes. Moving is stressful and God knows to another country and it is a rude awakening to move and would have had to exhaust your resources. As I stated, I wasn't military personnel, I traveled and lived on my own and I moved throughout the USA thinking that another city would be better. I left Chicago (after returning home from college in 1991 at the age of 22) and moved to Atlanta with $90 dollars. Upon arriving in Atlanta, I was immediately offered a position as a Director of Dekalb County with a major Atlanta company (something that I couldn't get in Chicago). This was before the rift/raft moved to Atlanta and Atlanta was(then) a quite and safe place ( I lived and owned a home and Beautiful Virginia Highlands/Fernbank Museum Area). You see, The USA sterotypes we Black Americans as being lazy, etc. And Speaking of the person from Atlanta who states they are a Black Man, Other nationalities are told not to Trust Black Americans upon coming to America, even Africans and they usually don't live in our Black Communities in America ( In Chicago all the Africans and other nationalities live in The North or Northwest suburbs of Chicago). You see, I wasn't deprived as a Black Male Roman Catholic child in Chicago, Grew up with a Au Pair/Nanny, parents' were both professionals always had and always will (so usually what people have seen on t.v. around the world of Black Americans..they are shocked to see a refined Black American in person). Daley Sr encaged generations of Blacks in Chicago in those hosuing projects and when Daley Jr tore them down, he didn't prepare them to live in neighborhoods or teach them about property values. He just scattered them like roaches.The neighborhoods that our Black Chicago Middle Class/Upper middles Class parents's purchased are mostly still kept up after 40 to 50 years of purchasing the homes from Jewish and Irish families in Chicago Black neighborhoods like Pill Hill(the neighborhood I was born and raised in a later family moved to Beverly Hills then South Holland,IL , Marynook, Chatham, Avalon Park, Parts of South Shore, Beverly Hills/Washington Heights are still up to par (and the Jewish and Irish Community in Chicago are shocked to see the homes still look beautiful. Speaking of Chicago, Bridgeport is still Racist where The Daleys' are from. I have friends from all walks of life and nationalities. You see, my family has been in America 208 years from Haiti's when the war was fought with Napolean for 13 years and yes there were Black Americans who owned slaves too in America. And my parents' migrated to Chicago for more opportunity (from New Orleans (Creoles) back in 1960's). To this day, the culture of our Gulf Coast Roots are gone and nothing has been done since Hurricane Katrina and people are still suffering... You see the Gulf Coast is the oldest part of that country (other than St Augsutine, FL) and yet it's been three years and nothing has changed. And the vast majority of the people who suffer in Urban USA America are Black. My Great Great Uncle has been in Toulan France since the 1930's with Vaudeville and knew Josephine Baker and Louis Armstrong he now is 104 years old. My experience of Being Black in Europe is totally different than in America and the Blacks here want to be like Black Americans are are excited and proud of our pilgrimage of our Black American influence. In Paris for example, mostly all are from Nigeria and in the U.K. from the Islands and Jamaica..been there too. For the person from Atlanta, My county was Dekalb the headquaters of the KKK/St. Mountain and I left Atlanta a success. However, I knew and it still goes that you better not be in Forsyth County after sundown and the KKK still wear robes and march on Atlanta's local t.v. stations with their robes in 2008..something the rest of the USA doesn't see (by the way tell Monica, Hello on the t.v. station there). As I stated, God has already blessed America with more than it's share...I lived through 911 and I had a home in Capitol Hill in D.C. and saw and experienced it all and D.C. looks like hell and is scary place to live. My word still stands, my birth home/Chicago will always be Chicago and it is important for this person to know and not get excited over some t.v. program. Again, OBJECTIVE...not Subjective is the way to succeed in life. Europe is diversed culturally, etc. And besides, The founding fathers of America were slaves and peasants to the Kings and Queens of England...Their flight for wealth was about the Land..it's always about the Land...Just Ask Scarlet O' Hara in Atlanta....it's about the land, Abraham Lincoln....about the land and who was going to work the fields without free manual labor......even this war now ...its' about the land.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Jesus F*&^(*& Christ lock this thread already.

Also, someone is way off topic.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't View Post
Dear Cubsoxfan;

Thank you for your "OBJECTIVE REPLY." As I wrote to the person who wants to move to the USA it is very important that he/she realizes this info. Beverly Hills(my old neighborhood) has always been a melting pot and the rock island train gets you downtown in minutes. Moving is stressful and God knows to another country and it is a rude awakening to move and would have had to exhaust your resources. As I stated, I wasn't military personnel, I traveled and lived on my own and I moved throughout the USA thinking that another city would be better. I left Chicago (after returning home from college in 1991 at the age of 22) and moved to Atlanta with $90 dollars. Upon arriving in Atlanta, I was immediately offered a position as a Director of Dekalb County with a major Atlanta company (something that I couldn't get in Chicago). This was before the rift/raft moved to Atlanta and Atlanta was(then) a quite and safe place ( I lived and owned a home and Beautiful Virginia Highlands/Fernbank Museum Area). You see, The USA sterotypes we Black Americans as being lazy, etc. And Speaking of the person from Atlanta who states they are a Black Man, Other nationalities are told not to Trust Black Americans upon coming to America, even Africans and they usually don't live in our Black Communities in America ( In Chicago all the Africans and other nationalities live in The North or Northwest suburbs of Chicago). You see, I wasn't deprived as a Black Male Roman Catholic child in Chicago, Grew up with a Au Pair/Nanny, parents' were both professionals always had and always will (so usually what people have seen on t.v. around the world of Black Americans..they are shocked to see a refined Black American in person). Daley Sr encaged generations of Blacks in Chicago in those hosuing projects and when Daley Jr tore them down, he didn't prepare them to live in neighborhoods or teach them about property values. He just scattered them like roaches.The neighborhoods that our Black Chicago Middle Class/Upper middles Class parents's purchased are mostly still kept up after 40 to 50 years of purchasing the homes from Jewish and Irish families in Chicago Black neighborhoods like Pill Hill(the neighborhood I was born and raised in a later family moved to Beverly Hills then South Holland,IL , Marynook, Chatham, Avalon Park, Parts of South Shore, Beverly Hills/Washington Heights are still up to par (and the Jewish and Irish Community in Chicago are shocked to see the homes still look beautiful. Speaking of Chicago, Bridgeport is still Racist where The Daleys' are from. I have friends from all walks of life and nationalities. You see, my family has been in America 208 years from Haiti's when the war was fought with Napolean for 13 years and yes there were Black Americans who owned slaves too in America. And my parents' migrated to Chicago for more opportunity (from New Orleans (Creoles) back in 1960's). To this day, the culture of our Gulf Coast Roots are gone and nothing has been done since Hurricane Katrina and people are still suffering... You see the Gulf Coast is the oldest part of that country (other than St Augsutine, FL) and yet it's been three years and nothing has changed. And the vast majority of the people who suffer in Urban USA America are Black. My Great Great Uncle has been in Toulan France since the 1930's with Vaudeville and knew Josephine Baker and Louis Armstrong he now is 104 years old. My experience of Being Black in Europe is totally different than in America and the Blacks here want to be like Black Americans are are excited and proud of our pilgrimage of our Black American influence. In Paris for example, mostly all are from Nigeria and in the U.K. from the Islands and Jamaica..been there too. For the person from Atlanta, My county was Dekalb the headquaters of the KKK/St. Mountain and I left Atlanta a success. However, I knew and it still goes that you better not be in Forsyth County after sundown and the KKK still wear robes and march on Atlanta's local t.v. stations with their robes in 2008..something the rest of the USA doesn't see (by the way tell Monica, Hello on the t.v. station there). As I stated, God has already blessed America with more than it's share...I lived through 911 and I had a home in Capitol Hill in D.C. and saw and experienced it all and D.C. looks like hell and is scary place to live. My word still stands, my birth home/Chicago will always be Chicago and it is important for this person to know and not get excited over some t.v. program. Again, OBJECTIVE...not Subjective is the way to succeed in life. Europe is diversed culturally, etc. And besides, The founding fathers of America were slaves and peasants to the Kings and Queens of England...Their flight for wealth was about the Land..it's always about the Land...Just Ask Scarlet O' Hara in Atlanta....it's about the land, Abraham Lincoln....about the land and who was going to work the fields without free manual labor......even this war now ...its' about the land.
What?I have black and white friends that live in affluent Forsyth county.KKK?I cannot tell you the last time any kkk rally was held in the Atlanta area or even Georgia.Forsyth has changed drastically.it almost all suburban now with some of the best schools sytems in the country.In 1980s yeh that was the image.I don't know where you saw that on local television stations.If you lived in Atlanta you would also know that the area is dotted with several African American communities with the highest per capita incomes in the America.The historically black colleges provide many African students particularily Morehouse and Spelman.My best friends nephew is a cousin to one of the sons of Obasanjo(the previous president of Nigeria).Olu the son the pres. and he graduated from Morehouse in 2001.Olu went on to Columbia University for his masters or doctorate and my friend went back to England where he grew up to attend school at the pretigious London School of Economics.

Growing up,i had grand visions of France.My mother taught French and as well as one of her older sister who actually studied at the world famous Sorbonne French culture institute.My father was a dean at a college and my parents both start me african history worldwide.I remeber the first time i heard of Toussaint L'Oveture.His bravery has and his remarkable genius,led me to be proud of being in the military.Josephine Baker!!OMG the lady divine she was.France embraced her and other African Americans in droves.They had every right to go where they would not be looked down upon.I have always admired France,Italy and how for centuries they have accepted the Africans as every bit as capable as they to contribute to there societies.

My problem with these countries today is that while African Americans in (particularaly France) are welcomed and treated very well.Yet my North African brothers and sisters,Arabs are treated there today worse than blacks in America are treated today or since JimCrow.You know this is true but how a can you uplift a place as superior when other people are being treated poorly?For 6months when one of my tenants(a french/algerian)before he left.Was lamenting about how he loved Atlanta because he was never stopped from entering a club,followed in the store, or been subjected to racial slurs due to his arabic appearance.

Europe gives lip service.The minorities are barely even represented in government except in high numbers maybe locally,rarely nationally.I asked several of my French friends were they aware of any of the famous black french people that contributed to their society.They don't even know who the famous father/son Alexander Dumas were.Europe has dissapointed me becuase they are very hypocritical.The more i learn and see about how immigrants and minorities live it makes me sick and angry because you and some who share your view of the U.S.hype up our problems why it neglects reports of racist attack on the increase all across europe.President Sarkozy has said many racist things in the past!!OMG,could that hapen today in America?NO WAY!!

I do not look down on your decision to repatriate somewhere else, as black people we have to live our lives the best way we can for ourselves no matter what anyone thins.That said i at one point tried it but realized it was not for me.tHE THING IS YOU MUST BE FAIR.tHINGS ARE NOT ALL ROSEY FOR MINORITIES IN EUROPE EITHER.It seems from some of your statements that it has been a while since you have been here.Many of your staement don't hol much true today.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

How is it off topic?He is giving his opinion on Chicago to someone.WOW.Don't "throw the books in the fire already".You may not agree with it but its opinion.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:

Wow, talk about "off topic", nice language, using the Lords name in vein. I think you need to back off. He said nothing wrong or untrue. I'm sure he speaks from true, sad experience and it's reactions like this that support his post. I am ashamed when I read his thoughts and think it's terrible we still live with so much "racism" in this nation, even now. Watch the language, please!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How is it off topic?He is giving his opinion on Chicago to someone.WOW.Don't "throw the books in the fire already".You may not agree with it but its opinion.
This is not a race related thread. I ask people to back off even when I agree with them on issues and not just race issues.

It seems like people trying to start race arguments in threads is on a uptrend. Look around the forums a bit.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Wow, talk about "off topic", nice language, using the Lords name in vein. I think you need to back off. He said nothing wrong or untrue. I'm sure he speaks from true, sad experience and it's reactions like this that support his post. I am ashamed when I read his thoughts and think it's terrible we still live with so much "racism" in this nation, even now. Watch the language, please!
No offense to you or your lord, but this site is not about your lord.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This is not a race related thread. I ask people to back off even when I agree with them on issues and not just race issues.

It seems like people trying to start race arguments in threads is on a uptrend. Look around the forums a bit.
Yes but his experience deals with what he was put through with living in Chicago which is what the op ask about.For its about race for him its about his life and his opinion of living here versus the U.K.It;s not my opinion but you can't tell him what to say because you cannot comprehend his point of view.That kind of proves his point in some way actually.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:09 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
No offense to you or your lord, but this site is not about your lord.
So then you obviously still don't get the point, or more importantly, respect it. He's not "my Lord", by the way, whether you believe in one or not. How egotistical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs