Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Orland Park, Tinley Park...okay why didn't you bring up Calumet City, Glenwood, Lansing, Park Forest, Blue Island, South Holland, Lynwood, Matteson, Chicago Heights, Dolton, Robbins, Harvey, Ford Heights, Markham, East Hazel Crest...shall I go on?

Give it a rest, the south suburbs are notoriously crime infested. that is what city data is for. check the statistics. There are few good suburbs in the south and the ones that are good are the FAR south suburbs. The suburbs you listed are very FAR out. I'm talking about the south suburbs that everyone associates with crime and broken familes.

And please don't bring up Oak Forest, that town is going down the tube...FAST!

anybody can post youtube links:

YouTube - CHICAGO HEIGHTS FATAL NIGHT CLUB SHOOTING

YouTube - RINDING THROUGH FORD HEIGHTS

YouTube - Dead Mall Dixie Square Mall Harvey IL

And that is real!

Besides, Tinley Park and Frankfort Square are seeing an influx of urban influence. In fact, Frankfort has had a massive increase in home burglaries, particularly in Prestwick right off of the Old Plank Trail which connects frankfort to places like Park Forest.

And why would you bring up Richton Park??? that's not the best town proven by its' crime statistics, not to mention my personal experience.

This person is by far hunting at his very best to take a few areas of the south side and label the entire south side as horrible.

Ok so the very small towns of Harvey and areas that surround Chicago Heights are not the greatest. Hmmm Last time I checked neither were areas like Waukegan, areas of Evanston, central Aurora, Carpentersville, Maywood/Bellwood, Shiller Park, Glendale Heights (which has an UNBELIEVABLE influx of "urban influence" moving into the town(Better learn to say "hablo engish?" if you move there)) Elgin? Yes once again another garden spot of the midwest as well as Dundee. Rogers Park area of Chicago, yep wonderful. So, sorry there are many areas on the northside just like the south side with bad "hoods" Why not just come out and say what you are meaning to say. The areas you labeled that are FYI not that bad with the exception of a few, are all black. Thats more what you are trying to say here and sorry but those areas are not high in crime with the exception of the Heights and Harvey area. South Holland is high in crime? Since when? Oh wait, theres black people near there, must be high in crime thats right. Frankfort Square? Urban influence? Where? In between the corn stalks? Matteson? Its a mixed community that yes has some robberies and gang pressance on the east side of town, but the rest of it is a mixed community of black and white, same goes for Lynwood and Richton Park and sorry, but in my opinion that is what we should be striving for in this country, people of all races able to live among eachother and get along like they are in the MANY south side communities you are listing as being horrible. Oh and Tinley Park fyi was rated with one of the lowest crime indexs in the metro area and Orland Park was listed in the top 100 places in the entire US of places to live and RAISE A FAMILY!

Yikes check out these Tinley Park Crime stats. http://www.tinleyparkpolice.org/07stats.html (broken link)

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
LOL, I know that area well. (The shopping center at 191st/LaGrange with the Colosseum/Capones.) I used to live in the townhomes behind there, next to the Hickory Creek train station. And seriously, if Tinley Park is so dangerous with the "bad element" moving in, then I guess Mokena is dangerous too? Tinley Park is literally right across the street from that part of Mokena, in fact the shopping center where the Lane Bryant murders took place is only 5 minutes down 191st from there, at 191st and Harlem.
The person you are arguing with is ill-informed at best. And if we are going to throw in the unfortunante Lane Bryant murders into this and label the whole south side as bad, then lets bring up the Palatine Browns Chicken massacure. 7 killed there. More people killed = worse area right? oy vey!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
pjani, sorry nobody got back to you yet. St Charles is a nice upscale town. I don't know anything specifically about their school system, but you should be fine. I think with public schools (which I believe has the opposite meaning of the term from the UK. Our public schools are the government supported schools) if you move into a district no matter what time of year, they have to take your child. Private schools would have enrollment limits.
St Charles has a nice older section along the river with "cutesy" shopping. By that I mean little boutiques, not necessities, but if you like shopping, you can definitely spend a couple of hours browsing. The Fox Valley has some nice terrain, more rolling hills (small ones) than many other parts of the Chicago area. There is a bike path that goes along the river that is very popular.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
And it has, Palatine! but the point remains that Tinley Park borders poor suburbs, to the East (where all the crime is), whose influence continues to spread their tentacles into the ever growing Tinley Park.
Tinley Park borders poor burbs? LMFAO! Yup, Orland Park... town is going to be the next Watts. Frankfort? Uhh oh guess those million dollar mansions are just going up to house the large amounts of poor people flooding in. (Ie. the urban influence) Mokena... YEP! Going broke. Matteston? Not rich, but def not poor. The first few pages here are the "poor" areas of Matteson that border Tinley Park http://www.homes.com/Content/Listing...3AD&FirstRec=1 I mean we are talking projects here.

Last edited by NYrules; 09-08-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I think you guys need to take the debate about the south suburbs somewhere else. The poor guy who started this thread was just looking for suggestions on towns to look into. The most important thing for him to do is to pinpoint exactly where he'll be working so we can give him suggestions based on a realistic commute.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen001 View Post
I am still swinging towards that yep
Even though there have been many other suggestions and arguments for other areas, i haven't heard anyone say anything to put me off Naperville.
I am going to keep an open mind for now though while i still have time to change my mind.

Im just a bloke in my mid 30's with a wife and a couple of little kids. I dont want, nor expect to live in luxury. What i do expect though, is to live somewhere where we all fell safe and if i am out of town with work, it has to be somewhere my family would fell safe on their own for a few days/nights.

There is no doubt, we are sheltered here in the UK and most of us dont live in the real world. We also only realy get an impression of what the USA is like from either what we see on TV shows or from holidays to Disneyland Florida (even though i havent been ).
(I have rated as many posts as system allowed)
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, but you may want to reconsider Naperville, especially if you plan on using public transit to get to work. Naperville has a commuter train that can get you into the city, but since its on the outer edges of suburbia, you'd already be looking at around an hour commute. That only takes you into the Loop, Chicago's central business district, where you'd then have to transfer to other transit to get you wherever on 51st st your job is located.

Bottom line is, a commute from Naperville to the (i'm guessing) SW side isn't going to be pretty, either by public transit or by car. I'd recommend looking at Beverly, Mt Greenwood, Brookfield, Berwyn, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park...maybe Oak Park. These will all be much more manageable commutes, with the potential to utilize public transit.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM

33 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, but you may want to reconsider Naperville, especially if you plan on using public transit to get to work. Naperville has a commuter train that can get you into the city, but since its on the outer edges of suburbia, you'd already be looking at around an hour commute. That only takes you into the Loop, Chicago's central business district, where you'd then have to transfer to other transit to get you wherever on 51st st your job is located.

Bottom line is, a commute from Naperville to the (i'm guessing) SW side isn't going to be pretty, either by public transit or by car. I'd recommend looking at Beverly, Mt Greenwood, Brookfield, Berwyn, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park...maybe Oak Park. These will all be much more manageable commutes, with the potential to utilize public transit.
Yep...i have just found that out.
So...what about Western Springs? Thi sounds like a good place to live.

I have to admit, i would like to live somewhere a little 'sleepy' until i find my feet in the area and get to know what i should/shouldnt do.

Its a BIG move for us and i just really need to know that my family will be safe.
(Forgive my ignorance but i just really need to do my best for them)

Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Yep...i have just found that out.
So...what about Western Springs? Thi sounds like a good place to live.

I have to admit, i would like to live somewhere a little 'sleepy' until i find my feet in the area and get to know what i should/shouldnt do.

Its a BIG move for us and i just really need to know that my family will be safe.
(Forgive my ignorance but i just really need to do my best for them)
I guess I consider the places listed pretty sleepy already, and all are safe - although some of those cities/neighborhoods listed have areas with higher crime rates. However, it's not difficult to just look for a place outside of those areas.

Western Springs is nice, although I think you may have a more difficult time finding rental housing there. You might also consider LaGrange.

And again, if you're planning on utilizing public transit, you'll need to find out exactly where you plan on working. If you're near Pulaski, then a place like Western Springs might work, since it's near an Orange line stop. If not, then you'll probably have to drive.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 AM

33 posts, read 86,867 times
OK.
After doing some research, speaking to friends that are already working and living in the city, and really listening to what people have to say, it looks like Western Springs may be the place for us.

I havent seen too much about the place on here but it seems ideal.

Can anyone, for this case then, give me some insight into:
1. The schools in the area. What is recommended (or not).
2. The 'local taxes'? This is a little confusing as over here we have a 'council tax' which pays for things like rubbish removal and police etc. I suppose you have this kind of tax aswell and it varies from suburb to suburb so an insight into this would be useful.
3. Can anyone confirm that the train travel from Western Springs to 51st West (near Washington Park) is not too much of a trek? I have looked and it doesnt seem far (30mins ish) and the price looks reasonable for the fare. Confirmation would be appreciated though.
4. Tornadoes...this is a worry. How bad does it actually get? In the UK it getws a bit windy and natural disasters like this dont really effect us. Is it as bad as it sounds or blown out of proportion (excuse the pun )
5. Local wildlife. Once again, please excuse my ignorance, but do you have spiders/snakes etc that need to be looked out for? I know many places do but do these areas? (Dont laugh....my little girl is worried )
6. Most important. How are the local people at accepting people from another country? Im not trying to be rude but being 4K miles from home is tough enough. Being lonely would not be nice for me and my family. Im not a church goer but love my sport. (Who is the local soccer team BTW? Thats my first passion followed closely by basketball)

Thanks in advance......the information i am gaining here is invaluable.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Quote:
OK.
After doing some research, speaking to friends that are already working and living in the city, and really listening to what people have to say, it looks like Western Springs may be the place for us.

I havent seen too much about the place on here but it seems ideal.

Can anyone, for this case then, give me some insight into:
1. The schools in the area. What is recommended (or not).
2. The 'local taxes'? This is a little confusing as over here we have a 'council tax' which pays for things like rubbish removal and police etc. I suppose you have this kind of tax aswell and it varies from suburb to suburb so an insight into this would be useful.
3. Can anyone confirm that the train travel from Western Springs to 51st West (near Washington Park) is not too much of a trek? I have looked and it doesnt seem far (30mins ish) and the price looks reasonable for the fare. Confirmation would be appreciated though.
4. Tornadoes...this is a worry. How bad does it actually get? In the UK it getws a bit windy and natural disasters like this dont really effect us. Is it as bad as it sounds or blown out of proportion (excuse the pun )
5. Local wildlife. Once again, please excuse my ignorance, but do you have spiders/snakes etc that need to be looked out for? I know many places do but do these areas? (Dont laugh....my little girl is worried )
6. Most important. How are the local people at accepting people from another country? Im not trying to be rude but being 4K miles from home is tough enough. Being lonely would not be nice for me and my family. Im not a church goer but love my sport. (Who is the local soccer team BTW? Thats my first passion followed closely by basketball)

Thanks in advance......the information i am gaining here is invaluable.
No laughing or judgement from me. I actually understand and tell your little girl my wife is the MOST arratnaphobic human on the planet (spider phobia!). No worries on the bug/snake department. The suburbs have grass and trees but the "pure nature" was moved out along with the suburban sprawl many years ago. There is a beautiful forest preserve nearby but nature is in a "controled enviornment" in our preserves and this is a nice way to see lots of critters if thats your thing.

Western Springs will be a good choice and a nice, safe town. School dist. is 101 and here is their website so you can read any info about it and perhaps request more info be sent as they will mail you what you need. It's www.d101.org I don't know much about them other than they have a good reputation.

Taxes: you mentioned you'll be renting so real estate taxes will be the responsibility of your landlord and figured in to your monthly rent cost. They can be quite pricey around the Chicago suburbs so this will be one advantage of renting. These taxes include all municpalities such as fire, police, library, etc... I'm not sure how western springs handles rubbish removal. Many cities require you to buy "stickers" to place on your cans for pick-up. These are purchased at the local grocery store and their are different "stickers" for different types of removal such as yard waste vs. regular garbage. We are a BIG recycle nation and plastic, glass, cardboard, paper, etc.. are all removed for free from the same company that takes your garbage. It's up to you to seperate it from the regular garbage and recycle containers will be provided to you from your city.

As for sales tax on goods- that varies from town to town but the average sales tax on any purchase is 6.75% of your purchase. The city of Chicago just raised theirs to 10.25% and many are NOT happy about it. They will struggle to get "Christmas Shoppers" as you can accomplish any and all shopping you would ever want or need in the suburbs.

I honestly don't know about your commute to work but you were very smart to decide against naperville as it truly would have been a nightmare of a commute and probably 3 hours out of your day to get there and back. You must be in much closer proximity in Western Springs so I'm sure you'll be fine. The locals in your town would be better to answer that.

And lastly, Tornadoes- No worries. They are over rated in this area and honestly, although we have had a few destructive ones over the years, their have been very few that damage much more than some trees and such. We live in Wheaton and one went through the north part (where we live) as well as Winfield and it did leave damage but no deaths. The hardest part was being without power for 5 days. With it came several days of rain that followed and many had flooded basements becasue they lost power and sump pump battery back-ups eventually lost juice. Many moved to hotels. And this was the first one, ever, to hit that area that we know of. They can happen anywhere, though, and Western Springs is no more at risk than the rest of the area.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best. I think and hope that the people of Western Springs would welcome you with open arms and that you'll find the friendliness you are looking for. I think most suburbs in this area have kind people that will be more than happy to welcome you and your family. Let us know after you come to the US and get settled. Take care. OH yea, and the local soccer team is the Chicago Fire. But coming from European soccer, you might be a little disappointed as the US has only been "into" soccer for about 20 years. All the suburbs have great park district programs for youth soccer and a chance for your children to play soccer and other organized team sports(baseball, basketball). Within the schools, Team sports are not available until HS in many suburbs with some limited opportunity at the Jr. high level. For this reason, many play soccer and other team sports(soccer, american football, baseball, etc) in a private travel league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs