Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:06 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
The lots aren't that small. Its a square mile.
I'm not impressed with the Kenilworth income stats. I'm sure Wilmette, Winetka, Oak Brook, Hinsdale have areas with 2300 people that have incomes much higher than Kenilworths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,978 times
Barrington : North Barrington, Barrington Hills, South Barrington... South Barrington is new money, North Barrington is older... It should also be noted that the Jewish population of the Barrington area is almost 0, which is odd for such a wealthy area. The area is a WASP strong hold.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
And some of the towns in the south, like Mokena, have worse off areas like Arbury Hills for example. a lot of the towns in the south are not TOTALLY affluent like you often see in the west or the north.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Barrington : North Barrington, Barrington Hills, South Barrington... South Barrington is new money, North Barrington is older... It should also be noted that the Jewish population of the Barrington area is almost 0, which is odd for such a wealthy area. The area is a WASP strong hold.
What is a WASP strong hold? And btw most rich people like to live in small communities. So whoever complained about western/south burbs having areas with higher income than kenilworths well I am certain that many in kenilworth are living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I think Deer Park and Inverness (often considered parts of Barrington) actually have a higher median income then North Barrington and Long Grove. I like Deer Park... it is surprisingly affluent with very nice, down-to-earth people.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:52 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
What is a WASP strong hold? And btw most rich people like to live in small communities. So whoever complained about western/south burbs having areas with higher income than kenilworths well I am certain that many in kenilworth are living paycheck to paycheck.
I don't consider Barrington a "WASP stronghold" at all (one of the most affluent areas, South Barrington, has many Asian and East Indians). Lots of Italians and Catholics around here also (St. Anne's church and school is a huge presence). And what research shows that "most rich people like to live in small communities?" Many "rich people" also prefer to live in the larger community of Chicago's Gold Coast, etc.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
I'm not impressed with the Kenilworth income stats. I'm sure Wilmette, Winetka, Oak Brook, Hinsdale have areas with 2300 people that have incomes much higher than Kenilworths.
LOL. Jealous much? Kenilworth is one of the top three richest ZIP codes in the United States. If that's that's not impressive, then nothing is.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
I dont know how afflent the OP wants to go, but I consider most of Geneva, St. Charles, Glen Ellyn, etc, pretty affluent. Not Glencoe affluent, but very well off.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:37 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
Kenilworth is not really a town it only has 2300 people. That's like 2 streets.
What is your definition of a town then?

"Town" is used as a generic term for a village,town, or city.

The title of this thread is "List of the Most Affluent Chicagoland Suburbs?";not "List of the Most Affluent Chicagoland Towns?"

Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
I saw mention that there is an area of Mokena that is not so well off making Mokena not so rich of a town... Well yes and no. People on here fail to realize when they are comparing burbs like Kenilworth, Hinsdale, and Winnetka to areas on the south side and saying things like, "well the entire town of Hinsdale or Kenilworth is rich so its better" ... Ummmm the entire town of Kenilworth is the size of my subdivision alone, so if we are going to compare apples to apples here, then lets look at "Crystal Tree Estates" located at 10600 W. 143rd Street or "Silo Ridge" located at 11300 W 151 Street, both of which are about the same size as Kenilworth. See my point?

Towns down on the south/SW side and far west areas are so huge that its almost impossible for the town to not have an area or two that is not rich and maybe even lower class.

Look at Orland Park alone. The OP extends from a block west of Oak Park Ave (6800 W) to Will Cook Road (12000 W) and from 135 St and even 131st Street in areas (13100 S) to 159th St (15900 S) until west of La Grange Road (9600 W) where the town goes all the way south to I-80 (18400 S) so as you can see the town alone is huge; encompassing over 60,000 residents now, so it's hard for the ENTIRE town to be all "well to do" people. But overall, the town as well as others I listed are definitley doing ok for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs