Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times

Advertisements

SGResident, I remember in 2003 Bliss Creek G. Course and that pond area flooded pretty badly. We have friends who live on Hankes and face the golf course and for the first time in 15 years they got water. I'm sure that area is amazingly flooded right now!

FMV, OH my did you see the two homes on Geneva Road just east of the Dunkin Donuts. The water is up to the front door. Two kids were sitting on their front stoop with fishing polls pretending to catch fish. The pond at Wheaton Crossing is pretty high too along with the two retention areas along P.Hill Road, kids were "swimming" in there today. I know two families in Klein Creek with a foot of water in the basement The area off of Beecher (off Winfield Rd) is AMAZING!!!!!
Stay dry all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:56 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
SGResident, I remember in 2003 Bliss Creek G. Course and that pond area flooded pretty badly. We have friends who live on Hankes and face the golf course and for the first time in 15 years they got water. I'm sure that area is amazingly flooded right now!

FMV, OH my did you see the two homes on Geneva Road just east of the Dunkin Donuts. The water is up to the front door. Two kids were sitting on their front stoop with fishing polls pretending to catch fish. The pond at Wheaton Crossing is pretty high too along with the two retention areas along P.Hill Road, kids were "swimming" in there today. I know two families in Klein Creek with a foot of water in the basement The area off of Beecher (off Winfield Rd) is AMAZING!!!!!
Stay dry all.

IrishSetter- I did see all of that and live right there. we have friends in Klein Creek, Wheaton Ridge, and Wheaton Crossing. I have never seen anything like this. My wife drove down to See Winfiled rd. again and it's blocked off- water all the way across the road. I just can't believe the tornado last year didn't do as much damage as this. We feel so, so fortunate we did not get a flooded basement. And it's not finished but lots of stuff down there. Are you OK on your end? Do you know if the south side flooded as well? I will be in my Aurora office today so it will be interesting to see what that area is like. I know the Fox river has many places flooded as well as it being over the roads in Geneva and St. Charles. I also wonder about the Arrowhead area and that whole neighborhood of the Legends as that was originally wetland that Keim built on. Hope all is well with everyone! Take Care.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
rt 56 was still closed this morning. it took my husband about 40 minutes to get from our house to the tollway(I88) this morning. usually takes less than 10 minutes. He has quite a route to take just to get to it. we were lucky, no water in our basement.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 AM

FMV, I'm certain Arrowhead Drive is flooded. As a kid I used to canoe down Arrowhead Drive when it rained Did you see the front page of the Daily Herald yesterday? 4 girls palying in knee high water on Dorset (Stonehedge). The retention pond at Orchard and Butterfield is to the top. Of course the area around Kelly Park (Elm and Main) is submerged. That area has flooded forever! Plamondon was shut down Saturday, not sure if it is open now. It is amazing you didn't get water being where you live. That area is very low and most homes at least get a large pooling of water in their yards. Those poor people, they were also hit by the tornado too, lost so many trees! Stay safe!!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 AM

OH, with Winfield Rd. shut down the traffiic on 59 and County Farm will be a beast just to let any commuters know I'll be in Aurora today, not sure how that area is doing.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
The Fox looks very high today, naturally, but not horrible. Didnt see any flooding while driving through St. Charles this morning, but I didnt get off on any side streets.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
The east side of the path around Lake Arlington was flooded; water up over 3/4 of the park bench on east side of path. This is a 50 acre lake so very impressive amount of water to get that high. First time in 16 years living here I've seen that.
2 of the townhomes adjacent to a pond were sandbagging, water close to or up to the front door and back patio door. I guess both events required a minimum 10 feet of water rise, possibly 12-15 feet at the lake. McDonald Creek north of Palatine Rd. looked like a series of large lagoons. Had a blast bicycling through all the puddles with one of my kiddos. Wife had "female premonition" that power was going to fail. Went out for spare batteries for my back up pump, spare main pump in case current one fails and a generator. Power stayed on. I have wiring in place to plug the generator into a dedicated, outside outlet that routes generator only power to 3 dedicated outlets in basement. Working on switch to be able to run heat/AC in addition to my 2 sump pumps and downstairs refrigerator. All I need is to make sure I keep gas on hand for generator and that I have proper extension cords. We rarely lose power since our utilities are below ground, but we did lose power a few winters ago for 2/3 hours and the house got cold very fast. So this storm is getting me off my rear and prepared for future events.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Was thinking all weekend about the folks in Houston area. Now that's a real mess. Made me feel lucky and humble about the much smaller scale we dealt with. Interviewed for job in Houston back in May, thanking God that it didn't go through. We were all set to move upon job offer. What a mess that would have been. Please keep the folks down there in your prayers; the posters on the TX forum are generally a real nice group.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
at one point, in previous storms, our sump pump didn't shut off for like 5 whole minutes. Regularly during heavy rains/floods, it runs like every minute.
We always have a back up sump pump just in case ours burns out... a distinct possibility.

Wheaton sounds like you got hammered, I saw butterfield road closed going west at winfield road this morning I was around there.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
FMV, I'm certain Arrowhead Drive is flooded. As a kid I used to canoe down Arrowhead Drive when it rained Did you see the front page of the Daily Herald yesterday? 4 girls palying in knee high water on Dorset (Stonehedge). The retention pond at Orchard and Butterfield is to the top. Of course the area around Kelly Park (Elm and Main) is submerged. That area has flooded forever! Plamondon was shut down Saturday, not sure if it is open now. It is amazing you didn't get water being where you live. That area is very low and most homes at least get a large pooling of water in their yards. Those poor people, they were also hit by the tornado too, lost so many trees! Stay safe!!
Hey ISG- I did see the herald. And yes, we feel so very lucky. Fortunately for us, our street runs downward going North towards Geneva(sounds weird to say downward going North, doesn't it?) so we are actually higher up and towards the south end so we stayed dry. As it slopes closer towards Geneva, those houses had water at there door step and just an awful sight. Also, our house is new construction and our basement is an english elevation (partially above ground) so I think that helped. Our sump pump did and still is working over time, so it seems. But at least the walls or windows didn't leak as this rain did that to many that have never before. I feel so bad. In past, usually basements flooded because of power loss and no working sump pumps to keep the water out. But this time, it came right through the foundations of many homes. you stay safe too, and thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs