U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 30,660 times
Default Rockford to Milwaukee

I'm looking at making a daily commute (until the home in Rockford sells) from Rockford to Milwaukee. The Marquette University area specifically.
The most direct route by automobile is 90/39 to 43. Mapquest shows me it's about 92 miles one way.
I've been looking for other transit opportunities, say stopping off in Beloit and catching an inter-city bus, but neither Badger Bus nor Van Galder bus have the correct routes.
After searching the Milwaukee Transit Web site, I'm still confused as to what suburban bus or rail routes are available into the city.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this Rockford-Milwaukee trip without driving the whole way from Point A to Point B and then back again?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM

56 posts, read 137,895 times
This won't be easy by public transit. I looked at Coach USA and Greyhound, and it looks like you'd have to go through Chicago, which would lengthen the trip significantly, probably too much for a daily commute. Milwaukee does not have a passenger rail system, and the bus system <http://www.ridemcts.com/> only serves Milwaukee and the surrounding counties.

It would probably be easier to drive. The fastest way is to take 90 north to 43 in Beloit, then 43 north straight to downtown Milwaukee, where there's an exit for Marquette University right past the downtown interchange. If you have any other questions, it would probably be best to ask on the Milwaukee forum. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 PM

10,329 posts, read 17,441,785 times
code10t is 100% correct. The only good rail connections are between Milwaukee and Chicago. From Rockford you're better off just driving 90 to 43.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 19,436 times
Default Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecthair View Post
I'm looking at making a daily commute (until the home in Rockford sells) from Rockford to Milwaukee. The Marquette University area specifically.
The most direct route by automobile is 90/39 to 43. Mapquest shows me it's about 92 miles one way.
I've been looking for other transit opportunities, say stopping off in Beloit and catching an inter-city bus, but neither Badger Bus nor Van Galder bus have the correct routes.
After searching the Milwaukee Transit Web site, I'm still confused as to what suburban bus or rail routes are available into the city.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this Rockford-Milwaukee trip without driving the whole way from Point A to Point B and then back again?
Thanks in advance
You can contact Van Galder Coach in Rockford located on East State St.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 19,436 times
Default Transportation from Rockford to Milwaukee

[URL="http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder"]www.coachusa.com/vangalder[/URL]

Illinois Rockford area
Van Galder Bus Company
(800) 747-0994

Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 30,660 times
thanks for the help all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs